Preferred Rubs

spartyonjoe

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I’ve been BBQing for the past 5 years and have always made my own rubs. Which is great for controlling flavor, but I have no frame of reference as I don’t get BBQ unless I’m cooking it. I want to try a couple of commercials rubs, please share your favorites! Specifically for pork and beef please. Thanks!

I use the St. Elmos on burgers and steaks. *Always* get compliments on the burgers. My kids even love the steaks - they're not steak lover yet. Costco here carries it.

I've found most of the good stuff is local/regional. Like my favorite cajun seasoning is from a restaurant in Lake Charles. I stock up on that and cajun sausage when we go to visit my wife's family there. I'm lucky living in the Dallas area because we have a lot of good Texas BBQ places in the state and most sell their own rubs/sauces. I have found some others I like off Amazon and some of the local high end BBQ stores that bring in brands from other locations. So for me Meat Church is sort of local since it is just south of Dallas. I just tried their Holy Cow this weekend. I thought it was OK. My favorite brisket rub is Rudy's which is a BBQ "chain" out of Austin. Theirs is on the spicy side which I like. My favorite all around rub right now is Killen's which is a BBQ in the Houston area. I picked up Smokin X Pecan Rub about 6 months ago and really like it on beef and pork. There is another local manufacturer called SuckleBusters that make a variety of rubs/sauces. All the ones I've tried of theirs have been great. For burgers I hate to say I use the seasoning sold at Freddy's Frozen Custard & Steakburgers. My wife loves that stuff. I also found Joe's Kansas City french fry seasoning which I really like on homemade fries. Haven't tried it on a burger yet to see what is tastes like.
Honestly I spend way too much trying out new seasonings. My wife says it is an adventure everytime I smoke something because I rarely use the same seasoning twice.

I use the St. Elmos on burgers and steaks. *Always* get compliments on the burgers. My kids even love the steaks - they're not steak lover yet. Costco here carries it.
Man I miss me some St. Elmos!

I think I went overboard
The ones in yellow I just bought 2 pounds each of
Lanes is local to me
1622649170880.png

Wright's is the only commercial rub I've ever used; it is from a local place that does legit Texas style BBQ that would fit in well in the Austin/Lockhart area.

As i use up what I have I think I'll settle in on Lanes to support them.
20 minutes from my home plus great products and good sales.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WKMCD
Back