Power Supply Backup

If you haven’t already, I’d suggest you find out the power usage of the fridge and entertainment system, then decide how long you want to be able to run them. 2kw worth of battery might not be enough.

Have you tried this unit? How long does it really run the grill without power?

@craigp I went a different direction. I too also would like to have a whole home generator, but couldn't really justify the expense.

So, instead, I went with a Honda EU3000is. This is a far more expensive unit compared to what's been mentioned so far, but has a ton of benefits. It's extremely quiet, generates plenty of power for my needs in the event of a power outage as I can run my home refrig, most all of my lights and several power outlets - including the outdoor outlet where my RT-700 is located.

It's also portable, so I can take it with us when we go camping. And being extremely quiet no one at the campground even knows we're running a generator.

Another huge plus for me is that it provides clean power - which is exactly what you want when running electronics. Most other generators are pretty dirty and while they will power a light, they are also great at wrecking electronics.

I've also heard that the Predator 3500 is a possible alternative to the Honda EU3000is. I've never heard it run or seen it in person but spec-wise it seems like a good option. It's also about a third of the price of a Honda.

Both of these options are going to be a massive overkill if you JUST want to power your grill in a power outage, but if you're looking for options to power more when the power is out - these are two units to consider.
I’ve have the same eu3000 generator for 15 years. Used it many times to back feed the house when the power has went out. Used it for camping as well. Kept it under our side out bed and never noticed it because it’s so quite.

I was smoking some ribs on my RT-1250 under my patio cover last weekend during a storm, when my house last power. Luckily it was back on within seconds, so it didn’t affect my cook. This did however get me thinking. We live in a rural area where power outages during storms is not uncommon. I really want a whole house backup generator, but the wife wants to move in a year, so I don’t want to go through the expense. That in mind, I’d like to purchase a portable lithium battery power supply in case this happens again for a longer period. Have any of you done this? If so, is there a power supply you can recommend? I’m considering the below unit on Amazon.

Thanks.

https://www.amazon.com/Jackery-Portable-Solar-Ready-Generator-Emergency/dp/B07SM5HBK1/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=Jackery+Portable+Power+Station+Explorer+500,+518Wh+Outdoor+Solar+Generator+Mobile+Lithium&qid=1667357479&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIwLjY5IiwicXNhIjoiMC4wMCIsInFzcCI6IjAuMDAifQ==&sr=8-3
The jackery will work fine. The typical pellet smoker requires about 30 watts (30W) of electrical power when running, and anywhere from 300-500 watts (300-500W) for the 5-10 minutes during startup when the ignitor is running to light the pellets and the fan is running to build the fire in the fire pot. You can buy a cheap inverter and run it off a car battery. Amazon has a bunch of pure sine wave 500w inverters for around 60-70. The "T" brand smoker even have a 400w inverter that will work for about the same price. A cheap car or deep cycle battery is is 130.

Yep, @Motodad1776 is right; they are blowing smoke. I have a 22KW Generac that fully powers our 3K sq ft house without breaking a sweat. Our 40’ motor home has a 12KW generator that will run everything, including 3 AC units, electric induction stove, refrigerator/freezer, washer/dryer and lights.

The sales guys use a square-foot calculation to come up with the recommended wattage. And, this calculation means that you could have every appliance, light, etc. on at the same time.

Power needs do not go up incrementally with the size of the house, however. Larger homes usually have more bedrooms, bathrooms and family space that is not a huge power user.

Finally, during a power outage, you can easily manage the electrical load at the breaker box; turn off unneeded rooms, don’t run washers, dryers, dishwashers, etc. Keep electrical useage down to just what is essential and 12-15KW would likely meet most people’s needs. In fact, quite a few years back, we had a 2K sq ft home out in the country where power outages were common. I kept all the essential things (refrigerator, freezer, etc.) going with a 5.5KW gas generator and had enough power for lights and TV at night.

A couple of years ago I bought an EGO (battery powered) snow blower. I was very skeptical, but after doing the research decided to roll the dice. It has handled every snow event with ease thrown at it. It uses two 56V (5.0 Ah) batteries; am able to do my driveway along with my neighbors in one charge. And only takes about 45 minutes a battery to recharge (takes 2 batteries)….So if need be, I can recharge in 1 ½ hours and be ready to go.

Cordless Snow Blower w/ Peak Power Technology by EGO POWER+ (egopowerplus.com)

That being said, I have been considering other things to make use of these potent batteries and have considered the below power station, which would more than handle the 590 smoker I just bought. But it is pretty pricey, especially for the rare occasion of a power outage.

POWER+ Nexus Portable Power Station | EGO (egopowerplus.com)

But here is something I wasn’t aware existed until this past August at a football tailgate that I would like to get for next summer. Amazing product to cool you (and your friends) down for those hot summer cookouts.

POWER+ 18” MISTING FAN (FN1800) by EGO (egopowerplus.com)

Have you tried this unit? How long does it really run the grill without power?

@craigp I went a different direction. I too also would like to have a whole home generator, but couldn't really justify the expense.

So, instead, I went with a Honda EU3000is. This is a far more expensive unit compared to what's been mentioned so far, but has a ton of benefits. It's extremely quiet, generates plenty of power for my needs in the event of a power outage as I can run my home refrig, most all of my lights and several power outlets - including the outdoor outlet where my RT-700 is located.

It's also portable, so I can take it with us when we go camping. And being extremely quiet no one at the campground even knows we're running a generator.

Another huge plus for me is that it provides clean power - which is exactly what you want when running electronics. Most other generators are pretty dirty and while they will power a light, they are also great at wrecking electronics.

I've also heard that the Predator 3500 is a possible alternative to the Honda EU3000is. I've never heard it run or seen it in person but spec-wise it seems like a good option. It's also about a third of the price of a Honda.

Both of these options are going to be a massive overkill if you JUST want to power your grill in a power outage, but if you're looking for options to power more when the power is out - these are two units to consider.
I’ve had a Honda EU2000 for a number of years. Been through hurricanes and tropical storms here in the SC Lowcountry. I’ve used the generator to run 2 refrigerators and a chest freezer as well as intermittent use of a toaster, Keurig coffeemaker, and Microwave. (The microwave was a big draw so I’d unplug the chest freezer and/or one refrigerator when the microwave was needed.

I’ll run my Bull 3 or 4 times during the year just to “exercise” the generator. I’ll also use it if I absolutely must do a cook during inclement weather.

While the Honda generators cost more than their competitors, I’ve never had a lick of trouble. I do regular maintenance once a year. And I absolutely ONLY use non-ethanol gas in this generator and all of my small engine devices. And since I run the generator in the farthest corner of my property away from the house, I do chain it to an anchor in the ground so it doesn’t walk away so easily. 😊

The battery backup unit that someone suggested (with link to Amazon) is probably not rated for outdoor use…I’m thinking. Before I let my ass overload my mouth, my advice is to simply make sure whatever device you use is rated for outdoor use.

I’ve had a Honda EU2000 for a number of years.…
Honda makes excellent generators. I needed something larger than what they currently offer.

I ended up buying this dual fuel beast. I’ve already used it three times. It powers my entire 4k+ sq ft house with two A/C’s, as well as my workshop where I have three deep freezers. Since the photo was taken, I’ve poured a concrete pad for it and had a propane line plumbed to it. I’m currently in the process of building a sloped metal house for it.

IMG_4554.jpeg

Honda generators are outstanding! So quiet, so reliable. I used one for 5 years with my son’s HS marching band. I’m adding this Hobart monster to my inventory (cat not included). I think I can power up half my neighborhood.
Resized_20230224_162243.jpeg

I’ve had a Honda EU2000 for a number of years. Been through hurricanes and tropical storms here in the SC Lowcountry. I’ve used the generator to run 2 refrigerators and a chest freezer as well as intermittent use of a toaster, Keurig coffeemaker, and Microwave. (The microwave was a big draw so I’d unplug the chest freezer and/or one refrigerator when the microwave was needed.

I’ll run my Bull 3 or 4 times during the year just to “exercise” the generator. I’ll also use it if I absolutely must do a cook during inclement weather.

While the Honda generators cost more than their competitors, I’ve never had a lick of trouble. I do regular maintenance once a year. And I absolutely ONLY use non-ethanol gas in this generator and all of my small engine devices. And since I run the generator in the farthest corner of my property away from the house, I do chain it to an anchor in the ground so it doesn’t walk away so easily. 😊

The battery backup unit that someone suggested (with link to Amazon) is probably not rated for outdoor use…I’m thinking. Before I let my ass overload my mouth, my advice is to simply make sure whatever device you use is rated for outdoor use.
Please forgive my ignorance. This is an old thread. Stupid me for throwing my 2-cents in the pot on a matter that’s OBE.
Honda makes excellent generators. I needed something larger than what they currently offer.

I ended up buying this dual fuel beast. I’ve already used it three times. It powers my entire 4k+ sq ft house with two A/C’s, as well as my workshop where I have three deep freezers. Since the photo was taken, I’ve poured a concrete pad for it and had a propane line plumbed to it. I’m currently in the process of building a sloped metal house for it.

Nice!!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MuddyBill
Back