Power Supply Backup

craigp

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-1250
I was smoking some ribs on my RT-1250 under my patio cover last weekend during a storm, when my house last power. Luckily it was back on within seconds, so it didn’t affect my cook. This did however get me thinking. We live in a rural area where power outages during storms is not uncommon. I really want a whole house backup generator, but the wife wants to move in a year, so I don’t want to go through the expense. That in mind, I’d like to purchase a portable lithium battery power supply in case this happens again for a longer period. Have any of you done this? If so, is there a power supply you can recommend? I’m considering the below unit on Amazon.

Thanks.

https://www.amazon.com/Jackery-Port...wicXNhIjoiMC4wMCIsInFzcCI6IjAuMDAifQ==&sr=8-3

Last edited:
I was smoking some ribs on my RT-1250 under my patio cover last weekend during a storm, when my house last power. Luckily it was back on within seconds, so it didn’t affect my cook. This did however get me thinking. We live in a rural area where power outages during storms is not uncommon. I really want a whole house backup generator, but the wife wants to move in a year, so I don’t want to go through the expense. That in mind, I’d like to purchase a portable lithium battery power supply in case this happens again for a longer period. Have any of you done this? If so, is there a power supply you can recommend? I’m considering the below unit on Amazon.

Thanks.

https://www.amazon.com/Jackery-Portable-Solar-Ready-Generator-Emergency/dp/B07SM5HBK1/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=Jackery+Portable+Power+Station+Explorer+500,+518Wh+Outdoor+Solar+Generator+Mobile+Lithium&qid=1667357479&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIwLjY5IiwicXNhIjoiMC4wMCIsInFzcCI6IjAuMDAifQ==&sr=8-3
OR
You could buy this and save hundreds

Have you tried this unit? How long does it really run the grill without power?

@craigp I went a different direction. I too also would like to have a whole home generator, but couldn't really justify the expense.

So, instead, I went with a Honda EU3000is. This is a far more expensive unit compared to what's been mentioned so far, but has a ton of benefits. It's extremely quiet, generates plenty of power for my needs in the event of a power outage as I can run my home refrig, most all of my lights and several power outlets - including the outdoor outlet where my RT-700 is located.

It's also portable, so I can take it with us when we go camping. And being extremely quiet no one at the campground even knows we're running a generator.

Another huge plus for me is that it provides clean power - which is exactly what you want when running electronics. Most other generators are pretty dirty and while they will power a light, they are also great at wrecking electronics.

I've also heard that the Predator 3500 is a possible alternative to the Honda EU3000is. I've never heard it run or seen it in person but spec-wise it seems like a good option. It's also about a third of the price of a Honda.

Both of these options are going to be a massive overkill if you JUST want to power your grill in a power outage, but if you're looking for options to power more when the power is out - these are two units to consider.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I have a motorhome with a large diesel generator, but unfortunately it is about 300’ from where I grill. I realize I could get a couple of long extension cords, but I want the convenience of having something close by to use in a hurry. I’d also like the ability to bring it inside to run our fridge and TV, hence the reason I prefer a battery unit instead of gas.

I've used a larger Jackery and they're pretty slick. The solar panels are sort of silly and slow charging, but you can just plug the thin in when you've got AC and quickly charge the unit. We had ours running several pieces of equipment for close to 10 hours without a hiccup.

I could see that the battery would be handy for other things around the house like a fridge or freezer where you don't want a generator running indoors or having a maze of extension cords during an extended outage.

I don’t have any experience with the battery power supply units, but This one caught my eye recently. More pricey than the Jackery but looks like a nice unit.

Have you tried this unit? How long does it really run the grill without power?
@Mike, no, I haven't used this UPS. After ignition power consumption is minimal.

I've used the smaller Jackery (300W) to try and run a sous vide machine. I did not specifically review the power draw from this, but the jackery could not run it. You really need to check the power used by the RecTec and limitations on the 500 to confirm you have plenty of room to run for hours. On the flip side, I was able to charge a large JBL speaker, but it took everything out of the Jackery to re-charge a speaker. (and I agree with others, solar charging is pretty slow which is fine if just trickle charging throughout the day)

I've used the smaller Jackery (300W) to try and run a sous vide machine. I did not specifically review the power draw from this, but the jackery could not run it. You really need to check the power used by the RecTec and limitations on the 500 to confirm you have plenty of room to run for hours. On the flip side, I was able to charge a large JBL speaker, but it took everything out of the Jackery to re-charge a speaker. (and I agree with others, solar charging is pretty slow which is fine if just trickle charging throughout the day)
So it should power a 30W grill (about average for, say, a Recteq RT-340) for: 500wh * 0.85 (425) / 30W = 14 hours. Remember, though, that the startup sequence of your grill (firing up the ignitor, running the fan until set temp is reached) is going to use up some of that power.

Anyone got one of these? That would answer our power questions.

1667402037605.png

When I attended Academy, one of the instructors was Lynnae from Sugar’s BBQ and she competes with a Bullseye in the Steak Cook-off Association. She uses a monster 2,000 watt unit, and below is what she told me was the expected runtime for the two small recteqs. I don’t know if the runtime between units is linear i.e. would A 500W unit have 1/4 the runtime of her 2,000W unit, but perhaps this info would be helpful.

As far as establishing a power supply - remotely, on site - I rely on my Lion Energy portable power bank. This is a monster of a portable power box, built in Salt Lake City, UT that will supply enough juice to run your Bullseye on RIOT mode for at least 7 hours, or your 340 on full blast for 8 hours..or BOTH cookers, on full blast, for about 6 hours. My Lion Energy will charge to 100% from zero in about an hour from a wall socket. The company does sell solar panels to help charge on site but I've found that unless you have 6 panels, you'll be charging for 2 days. Check the link below and see what you think. These things aren't cheap but they are well built, and will last a while on a full charge. In lieu of that portable battery bank, you might piecemeal a deep cell, marine grade battery, and inverter, OR a small, quiet gas powered generator. Harbor Freight has one that is fairly reasonable. https://lionenergy.com/collections/portable-power

Anyone got one of these? That would answer our power questions.

View attachment 17863
Yes. I had checked my 340 a while back and got readings fairly close to what C Keeper states. 150w at startup, then once it gets to temp 30w when the fan runs, and just a few watts when it's not. I did not make a note of the total for a cook. So maybe 40 watts to stat it, then figure 25 more for each hour. A 300 watt battery would optimally keep it running for 11 hours but being lithium the power out is going to drop like a rock at 85% discharge, so I'd guess more like 8ish hours.

If my math is right...

Absolutely! We have the same unit and it has been great. Never more than 15 seconds (startup/switchover time) without full electric power to the house.
If my wife and I DO decide to move to retirement Bradenton, FL, lack of natural gas is a deal breaker. We can put in the pool, at the same time I put in the Generac. Whatever generator you buy, YES, make sure it states "Pure Sine-Wave" somewhere in the specifications. "4Patriots" also has a lithium battery generator with solar panel recharge back-up.

If my wife and I DO decide to move to retirement Bradenton, FL, lack of natural gas is a deal breaker. We can put in the pool, at the same time I put in the Generac. Whatever generator you buy, YES, make sure it states "Pure Sine-Wave" somewhere in the specifications. "4Patriots" also has a lithium battery generator with solar panel recharge back-up.

All I know is I have a top of the line model, plus the smart sense automatic transfer station.

There is a propane version as well. A reasonably-sized propane tank should keep the generator running for most power outage situations.

Realizing a large enough lithium powered backup was going to cost me more than I realized, I decided to re-visit the whole house generator idea. I called two different Generac dealers. One dealer said I needed a 38kw generator, that would run me $20k installed. As if that wasn’t enough, there is a 12 month wait. The second dealer said if I only wanted to power half of my 4200 sq ft house, I could get away with a 24kw system for $15k, with a 6-9 month wait. I don’t want to spend that kind of $$ if we end up moving next year, which might be before the generator would arrive anyway.

An RV friend of mine is recommending the Bluetti AC200P 2000 watt lithium power supply. It’s runs $1600, but it should power my Recteq just fine, and then my fridge and TV/Sat system inside the house during longer outages.

Realizing a large enough lithium powered backup was going to cost me more than I realized, I decided to re-visit the whole house generator idea. I called two different Generac dealers. One dealer said I needed a 38kw generator, that would run me $20k installed. As if that wasn’t enough, there is a 12 month wait. The second dealer said if I only wanted to power half of my 4200 sq ft house, I could get away with a 24kw system for $15k, with a 6-9 month wait. I don’t want to spend that kind of $$ if we end up moving next year, which might be before the generator would arrive anyway.

An RV friend of mine is recommending the Bluetti AC200P 2000 watt lithium power supply. It’s runs $1600, but it should power my Recteq just fine, and then my fridge and TV/Sat system inside the house during longer outages.

That's BS, you can run your size house on a 24KW, they are playing you for stupid. Not surprised on the wait time though, I got mine in last November before everyone started freaking out and not everything was so hard to get yet........we aint seen anything yet, poop is gonna absolutely hit the fan ladies and gents. I'm a big fan of the Yamaha and Honda generators for sporadic power needs, they are not cheap but work as advertised, sip gas and are very quiet.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back