Trailblazer Power source while camping

chuckmcgrup

Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
My Trailblazer is on the way and I want to take it camping. What do you use for a power source? Any tips or issues that you suggest would help someone taking a smoker camping for the first time? I will most likely be in a tent, maybe a pop-up camper. Thanks!

My Trailblazer is on the way and I want to take it camping. What do you use for a power source? Any tips or issues that you suggest would help someone taking a smoker camping for the first time? I will most likely be in a tent, maybe a pop-up camper. Thanks!

I would recommend the initial “break in” at home per directions. Clean and take it camping. I am reasonably sure you could get by with something like a 1,000 watt Honda generator (check the smoker specs for amperage draw to be sure). And plenty of water to wash between meat prep and handling. Let us know how it goes.

Are you going to a campground? some sites have AC. If know one knows the power draw, I can check it tomorrow, if I remember. I don't see anything in the manual. Once you know the power requirements you can come up with an idea.

Are you going to a campground? some sites have AC. If know one knows the power draw, I can check it tomorrow, if I remember. I don't see anything in the manual. Once you know the power requirements you can come up with an idea.
Thank you!

What about using a battery and an inverter? You would disconnect the ignitor wire and light the pellets manually with a torch. Then use the inverter to run the fan and auger motor.

Just checked the 340's power use. At startup it jumps to 160Watts, slowly dropping to 100-120W when coming up to temp. Once at temp in about 10 minutes, in my case 225, the auger must stop or slow way down and just the fan runs, that was about 30W. If I were to guess at a 7 hour rib cook @ 225, one would use roughly 240W total, or 2A @ 120v, which is pretty much nothing. A 14 hour butt or brisket would be about double that.

To run it off a 12vdc battery, like a trailer or car, you would use 20 - 40ah respectively. You could get a small 300W inverter and run it off the car battery, or better yet a deep cycle like that used on campers. I have no idea what a 40ah depletion on a car battery would do, might well not start when you were done.

A 100Ah marine or RV deep cycle would do the trick. If you did a long cook you'd need to recharge it afterwards.

Don't know if you'd need a pure sine wave inverter or if a cheap modified would work. Either can be had for $50 or less. From Hojji1's post that Rec Tec suggests a generator rated for electronics, I would guess that a PSW inverter may be required.

One good investment I bought for generators is a "kilawatt". It checks frequency, voltage and kilowatts. Can be bought at HD. I haven't checked my little 700 watt gennie, might do that. You can plug it into the gennie and plug whatever you want to check into the kilawatt to check current draw and check for droop via frequency.

One good investment I bought for generators is a "kilawatt". It checks frequency, voltage and kilowatts. Can be bought at HD. I haven't checked my little 700 watt gennie, might do that. You can plug it into the gennie and plug whatever you want to check into the kilawatt to check current draw and check for droop via frequency.
View attachment 5789

I just did this the other night with mine at the airport as a test for future campouts and possibly fly-in events...

That's an older battery I recently pulled from my plane and a 1000W power inverter I picked up from Costco on sale for $70. I went bigger on the inverter than necessary just because I thought it could be useful if Texas loses power again or etc.

As mentioned above, mine spiked around 150-160W pull initially, then settled in where it was pulling between 25-50W most of the rest of the cook time. I ran for about 1.5 hrs at 400 degrees and the battery % did not change.

I don't fully trust the old battery, but wanted to test it out before buying a different one. A guide I read online recommended a deep cycle marine battery for this setup and those run around $60.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-21 at 11.02.26 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-21 at 11.02.26 AM.png
    5.1 MB · Views: 194
I just did this the other night with mine at the airport as a test for future campouts and possibly fly-in events...

That's an older battery I recently pulled from my plane and a 1000W power inverter I picked up from Costco on sale for $70. I went bigger on the inverter than necessary just because I thought it could be useful if Texas loses power again or etc.

As mentioned above, mine spiked around 150-160W pull initially, then settled in where it was pulling between 25-50W most of the rest of the cook time. I ran for about 1.5 hrs at 400 degrees and the battery % did not change.

I don't fully trust the old battery, but wanted to test it out before buying a different one. A guide I read online recommended a deep cycle marine battery for this setup and those run around $60.
what kinda plane you have? my buddy has a beechcraft baron. having a plane is awesome

https://www.recteqforum.com/threads...powered-by-300-watt-solar-generator-box.5040/
This thread from earlier this month might also be helpful for your question. Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

what kinda plane you have? my buddy has a beechcraft baron. having a plane is awesome
I currently have a Cessna 182. It all started as a motorcycle about 20 years ago...progressed through motorcycle to powered parachute, upgraded powered parachute / trailer / gear, Luscombe 8A, then a Cessna 140, then a Cessna 170, and now the Cessna 182. Each time, selling the previous toy and adding some funds. Plan to stick with the 182 for a while though. :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back