Powder Coating Melted on Max Temp

Northbethesda1234

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-1250
The powder coating on the cart bubbled while I was making pizza on the max temp. Has this happened to anyone?

Attachments

• 20220121_173156.jpg
    20220121_173156.jpg
    484.6 KB · Views: 352
  • 20220122_091031.jpg
    20220122_091031.jpg
    267.8 KB · Views: 257
  • 20220122_091007.jpg
    20220122_091007.jpg
    444.2 KB · Views: 242
Honestly surprised there is not more.. I understand the 1250 can reach in the 700+ range. I would say it is expected at these temps but, is it acceptable is another question.

Honestly surprised there is not more.. I understand the 1250 can reach in the 700+ range. I would say it is expected at these temps but, is it acceptable is another question

Honestly surprised there is not more.. I understand the 1250 can reach in the 700+ range. I would say it is expected at these temps but, is it acceptable is another question.
The smoker was at 700 degrees for less than a minute. I put the pizza in as soon as it hit 700 degrees then the temperature dropped to 660 degrees. The pizza was done before it could reach out back to 700 degrees since I opened the hood a few times to check on the pizza. I recall the paint bubbling around 650 degrees. I will not set the smoker at the max temperature again and will order the GMG Pizza Attachment Kit.

I made wings about an hour ago and the drip paint marks were soft at 400 degrees.

The smoker was at 700 degrees for less than a minute. I put the pizza in as soon as it hit 700 degrees then the temperature dropped to 660 degrees. The pizza was done before it could reach out back to 700 degrees since I opened the hood a few times to check on the pizza. I recall the paint bubbling around 650 degrees. I will not set the smoker at the max temperature again and will order the GMG Pizza Attachment Kit.

I made wings about an hour ago and the drip paint marks were soft at 400 degrees.

Wow @ 400 degrees that is not good. Maybe inquire with Recteq. This is standard cooking temps.

Keep us posted on the GMG.. been eyeing that up also. Just filling my piggy bank for all these goodies.

Recteq is going to send new smoker. I will have to ship the old one back. I tried to get them to provide me with a Competition Cart instead since it will be more cost effective, but they wouldn't do it.

Glad to see Recteq stepping up here.. I am still scratching my head what could have happened here @ 400.

Appreciate the link to the GMG pizza oven. Maybe tax returns will allow me some new toys or I may have to send my Bull to the IRS this year as my payment. Maybe a few racks of ribs would do.. who knows.

I guess since you posted this here it fits the 1250... That looks like a great addition to the family.

I believe others have fitted with no issues.. maybe one of tabs might need a slight modification. Don't recall exactly but if anything it was very minor. Been eyeing it up for some time now with the 3RMP auger might be time to pull the trigger.

Found it Click Here of course this was for the 700 but I am 99.9% sure physically the 1250 is the same

Last edited:

Attachments

• 20220124_141726.jpg
    20220124_141726.jpg
    645.8 KB · Views: 129
  • 20220124_141717.jpg
    20220124_141717.jpg
    281.9 KB · Views: 131
  • 20220124_141714.jpg
    20220124_141714.jpg
    392.2 KB · Views: 129
  • 20220124_141707.jpg
    20220124_141707.jpg
    519 KB · Views: 147
  • 20220124_141702.jpg
    20220124_141702.jpg
    525.3 KB · Views: 125
Glad to see Recteq stepping up here.. I am still scratching my head what could have happened here @ 400.

Appreciate the link to the GMG pizza oven. Maybe tax returns will allow me some new toys or I may have to send my Bull to the IRS this year as my payment. Maybe a few racks of ribs would do.. who knows.
Recteq's customer service has been on point. The grill had minor damages from the manufacture, but they took care of it immediately.

I'm not sure why the paint was soft at 400 degrees. I made pizza with the attachment at 400 degrees and the paint was perfectly fine. I used a infrared thermometer where the paint bubbled before and it read at 136 degrees. I thought something was wrong with the thermometer at first, but the temperature was correct. I even touched it with my fingers and it wasn't hot at all. Perhaps the pizza kit absorbed most of the heat. I should have taken the temperature while the paint was bubbling, but forgot that I had a infrared thermometer lol.

The pizza turned out great; a lot better than using my FibraMent Baking Stones (https://fibrament.com/) on a gas or electric stove (max temp 550 to 570 degrees). The stone reached 720 degrees and took 4 minuets for the pie to finish. The bottom of the crust had nice leoparding and the edges had a hint of smoke flavor.

The sale ends on 2/28/22, so I would definitely get 1 before it ends if you can. I hope Uncle Sam owes you money so you don't have to show him your 3-2-1 skills!

Recteq's customer service has been on point. The grill had minor damages from the manufacture, but they took care of it immediately.

I'm not sure why the paint was soft at 400 degrees. I made pizza with the attachment at 400 degrees and the paint was perfectly fine. I used a infrared thermometer where the paint bubbled before and it read at 136 degrees. I thought something was wrong with the thermometer at first, but the temperature was correct. I even touched it with my fingers and it wasn't hot at all. Perhaps the pizza kit absorbed most of the heat. I should have taken the temperature while the paint was bubbling, but forgot that I had a infrared thermometer lol.

The pizza turned out great; a lot better than using my FibraMent Baking Stones (https://fibrament.com/) on a gas or electric stove (max temp 550 to 570 degrees). The stone reached 720 degrees and took 4 minuets for the pie to finish. The bottom of the crust had nice leoparding and the edges had a hint of smoke flavor.

The sale ends on 2/28/22, so I would definitely get 1 before it ends if you can. I hope Uncle Sam owes you money so you don't have to show him your 3-2-1 skills!

Yeah.. defiantly on my list. I have been looking at stand alone wood fired units but this just makes more sense since I have the Bull. I have been watching Flea Bay for a while for a deal but it just is not happening. Might just have to jump on the deal.

My guess is the metal surface was not perfectly clean when they powder coated it. If there was even a hint of oil on the surface the paint will eventually detach.

Recteq is going to send new smoker. I will have to ship the old one back. I tried to get them to provide me with a Competition Cart instead since it will be more cost effective, but they wouldn't do it.
Hey just a follow up: you said you tried to get them to send you a competition cart, but even if they did, the completion cart doesn’t replace the black section directly under the barrel where your issue was. The comp cart only replaces the legs and bottom shelf- the grill body itself will still have the melted / bubbling areas. I circled the area where your grill powder coat was bubbling. The comp cart attaches below that section.

Attachments

• 8792F112-CE4E-4476-8EDF-3228F148B7B0.jpeg
    8792F112-CE4E-4476-8EDF-3228F148B7B0.jpeg
    330.4 KB · Views: 248
  • 9944F8D5-9970-46E2-9BE0-8B148666A522.jpeg
    9944F8D5-9970-46E2-9BE0-8B148666A522.jpeg
    39 KB · Views: 100
I believe others have fitted with no issues.. maybe one of tabs might need a slight modification. Don't recall exactly but if anything it was very minor. Been eyeing it up for some time now with the 3RMP auger might be time to pull the trigger.

Found it Click Here of course this was for the 700 but I am 99.9% sure physically the 1250 is the same
Just looked at the pictures on the review. I believe I didn't have to bend the front or rear tabs of the GMG because the 1250 doesn't have light on th
Hey just a follow up: you said you tried to get them to send you a competition cart, but even if they did, the completion cart doesn’t replace the black section directly under the barrel where your issue was. The comp cart only replaces the legs and bottom shelf- the grill body itself will still have the melted / bubbling areas. I circled the area where your grill powder coat was bubbling. The comp cart attaches below that section.

Thank you for the follow up. You're correct. For some reason, I thought the area that bubbled was a part of the cart.

Just looked at the pictures on the review. I believe I didn't have to bend the front or rear tabs of the GMG because the 1250 doesn't have light on th

Thank you for the follow up. You're correct. For some reason, I thought the area that bubbled was a part of the cart.
Yea after I saw this post I panicked and ran out to mine to look. I cooked a pizza and mine got so hot the stainless barrel turned almost brown/yellow after only a few minutes. Was able to get it off (mostly) with Bar Keepers Friend. I didn’t notice any bubbling on the powder coat, but there are a few tiny pieces of old burned drippings in the crevice where the barrel sits that sort of look like it could be the powder coat itself. Makes me wonder if it’s a good idea to run it that hot anymore.

FYI, GMG pizza attachment is 20% off for $119.95 at participating GMG dealers. I called 4 dealers in my area and only 1 was participating.

https://greenmountaingrills.com/products/new-parts/accessories/wood-fired-pizza-attachment/
Good information...I called local dealers and they didn't know about this promotion. One looked at the website and said they would honor the price and work it out with GMG later. So I am now the proud owner a pizza oven for my 700.

One question for those who use it: do you close the cover of the Bull while the pizza stone is heating up? Not sure how the temperature setting could work with the cover open. I will try using an IR thermometer on the stone to monitor its temperature as the oven instructions recommend.

Good information...I called local dealers and they didn't know about this promotion. One looked at the website and said they would honor the price and work it out with GMG later. So I am now the proud owner a pizza oven for my 700.

One question for those who use it: do you close the cover of the Bull while the pizza stone is heating up? Not sure how the temperature setting could work with the cover open. I will try using an IR thermometer on the stone to monitor its temperature as the oven instructions recommend.

I just ordered one but I think if the 700 doesn't sense 175 degrees in 20 min it will shutdown thinking it did not ignite. For that reason I plan to keep it closed and also to keep as much heat in as well.

Since the 700 will max out at 600 I also wonder how the heat will affect the RTD. I'm thinking maybe it will actually run hotter as most of the heat is directed into the pizza oven and probably exhausted and not circulated. Just my thoughts.. have not used yet.

The 1250 will go over 700 so the limits are higher. I do have the 3 RPM auger motor in my 700 so expect 600 would not be any issue. I plan to use an infrared thermometer to see stone temps also.

Enjoy.. post your results. I can't wait to get mine.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back