(Possibly another) question about smoke, smoke leakage, and grease drip

middleP

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I've had my Bull for about a year now, but have always wondered about a few things. Hoping the great folks here can help! Thanks in advance, and happy grilling!

First, should there be billowing smoke? Haven't figured out a rhyme or reason, but I get this more often than I'd like. I was always taught that clean smoke means you can barely see bluish smoke. Certainly not lots and lots of white smoke. Is this different for pellet smokers?

Second, is the consensus that mods are necessary to avoid smoke leakage? When the smoke gets going (again, not always) I get smoke coming out all four sides of the lid, the logo, the drip chute, and the smoke stack. For example, right now I have a couple of chuckies on at 225 and I am smoking out the neighbors backyard as well.

Lastly, does anyone else have issues with grease drips? Mine drips from where the barrel meets the end piece. Drips while cooking, drips when cold. My patio is a mess due to grease drips... though my dog is in heaven licking it up. When I called Rec Teq they basically said it was common and that I should either cook more and clean it out less or seal it up with heat resistant caulk.

Excited to see some thoughtful replies. Mine just started dripping grease. I thoroughly cleaned it last weekend and cooked burgers on it tonight. Dripping again. Left side where the barrel and end cap meet. The burgers were on the right side.

Mine does that when grilling bacon but I suspect it's because I'm putting the bacon to close to the left edge to avoid the "hot zone" on the right. With my 340 I can only do a 1/2 lb at a time to avoid the right side.

Smoke coming out around the lid and the grease chute is normal. Thick white smoke is not, and usually indicates something (grease) is burning.

I put a wad of paper towels in the grease chute when the grill is cold and I have removed the bucket. Otherwise, you get grease all over that side of the cover.

Do they stop grease from dripping out? Says they are for keeping rodents out which is not my issue.

Do they stop grease from dripping out? Says they are for keeping rodents out which is not my issue.
It does for me, it fits inside the grease chute with a lip around the outside of the chute.

How is grease getting into the barrel in the first place? Is food being cooked beyond the area of the drip pan? Is the grill level left to right and from to back?
My first thought was, "well, hell, I don't know." I'm guessing the grease is from items like butts and spatchcock chickens being slightly over the edge. I tend to do multiples at the same time. Still, I wouldn't think this is enough to warrant my issue. As far as leveling, per code the patio is slightly slanted - but I get the issue in storage when the slant is front to back, during past cooks when right to left, and current cooks when back to front. Even when it has been a month without cooking and the bucket is clean (and still empty), the slow drip persists.

I get decent ash blowing around (have tried Kingsford and B&B pellets), so had been using a shop vac to clean things out every handful of shorter cooks or following a large packer. Sounds like I should not be doing this?
Smoke coming out around the lid and the grease chute is normal. Thick white smoke is not, and usually indicates something (grease) is burning.

I put a wad of paper towels in the grease chute when the grill is cold and I have removed the bucket. Otherwise, you get grease all over that side of the cover.
I am concerned about this, but not sure how to proceed. Same with temps that will randomly climb 50-100 degrees higher than set temp. When I called Rec Tec they said to expect some fluctuation. Honestly, in my 3 calls about my concerns, I have not been thrilled with the level of support.

Oh... I have grease on the cover, the bottom rack, the patio,.. and on a very happy dog's tongue. But it isn't via the cute.

I got these for plugging the grease chute and covering the smoke stack. Keeps mice from getting into the grill and nesting when covered.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/828336...ery&ga_search_query=recteq&ref=sr_gallery-1-2

These are great, thanks for sharing! I don't have any mice concerns (the Great Dane loves the grease from that grill and wouldn't let a critter near it), but would love to support that seller.

I would take pictures. If you can, post them here. I'm curious where this grease is coming from. 🤔

How is grease getting into the barrel in the first place? Is food being cooked beyond the area of the drip pan? Is the grill level left to right and from to back?
Good questions! I cooked 4 burgers on Grillgrates on the RH side and over the drip pan. I’ve not moved the grill since I got in April and it just started dripping on the left side in the past month. Maybe it’s unlevel and I will check. Suppose I need to RTV that spot but I didn’t see much grease in the area when I cleaned it. 🧐

Good questions! I cooked 4 burgers on Grillgrates on the RH side and over the drip pan. I’ve not moved the grill since I got in April and it just started dripping on the left side in the past month. Maybe it’s unlevel and I will check. Suppose I need to RTV that spot but I didn’t see much grease in the area when I cleaned it. 🧐
Are you running the grill grates with the ribs going front to back or side to side? If you go front to back I think guys have said that's more likely to go past the edges of the drip pan and get into the barrel. I've read suggestion to place them running side to side instead.

I don't use grill grates, but I've never had enough grease get past the drip pan to be able to leak.

As for vacuuming ash, there's some advice to focus on the firepot and leave some ask in the barrel, only clean that out periodically.

Are you running the grill grates with the ribs going front to back or side to side? If you go front to back I think guys have said that's more likely to go past the edges of the drip pan and get into the barrel. I've read suggestion to place them running side to side instead.

I don't use grill grates, but I've never had enough grease get past the drip pan to be able to leak.

As for vacuuming ash, there's some advice to focus on the firepot and leave some ask in the barrel, only clean that out periodically.
Front to back. But I was using the flat side for smash burgers. I dunno. They were 4 burgers in a clean grill. Doesn’t make sense.

I have noticed that pellets make a difference in temp. Using bear mountain pellets I have almost zero fluctuation in temp I have pit boss pellets in it now and have observed spikes in temp. Usually it's brief and not more that 30 degrees above set temp.

I am almost certain the reason for this is the pellet length. The pit boss pellets are very noticeably longer than bear mountain pellets. Some are up to 2 inches long and rather tough to break. I believe this causes a little overfeeding issue at times, kinda like a log jam that is suddenly freed up. I ended up taking the bag that I had and stomped on it to break the pellets up into smaller pieces.

Grease issue..pics would be very helpful.

Front to back. But I was using the flat side for smash burgers. I dunno. They were 4 burgers in a clean grill. Doesn’t make sense.
I don't use Grill Grates on the RT (kept my gasser for hot & fast) but other have said running them front to back allows grease to travel along the grates, go past the drip pan, and thus into the barrel. The pressing involved with smash burgers could mean even more grease, so that's something to consider.

My 340 began to leak grease after about 2 years. The sealer they use at the seams began to wear away. I’m sure recteq would’ve offered to help or even send a free tube, but I just went to Amazon and bought this:

Permatex 81160 High-Temp Red RTV Silicone Gasket, 3 oz​

This is the same sealer that recteq sells on their website but it’s only about $7 on Amazon. You’ll need to clean and degrease the seams using Dawn dish liquid or isopropyl before applying the sealer, but it fixes the leak. It will need to cure before using the grill.

When I purchased my 700 I put an extra bead on all seams before even burning the grill in. No leaks so far.

In the 7 years I have owned my 680, the grease bucket has seen grease twice (turkeys both times) as I use a disposable cookie sheet below the grate to catch any drippings. I also put a Traeger pan liner on the drip tray. For me, it makes clean up very easy inside the cooker and I don't get drippings on the patio.

Attachments

• Rec Tec 680-7.jpg
    Rec Tec 680-7.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 89

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back