Pork shoulder or butt?

timelinex

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I purchased the costco shoulder/butt combo pack and I can't tell the difference between the two halves. Last time I was mistaken in my assessment of which was which based on the results.

In the pictures online, the butt is rectangular and the shoulder is triangular. They both look rectangular and neither look triangular!

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 325
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 97

Attachments

• Difference-Between-Pork-Shoulder-And-Pork-Butt-768x758.jpg
    Difference-Between-Pork-Shoulder-And-Pork-Butt-768x758.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 2,553
From the online grill:

Pork butt and pork shoulder both come from the shoulder of the pig. Pork butt (also called Boston Butt) comes from above the shoulder blades, while pork shoulder meat extends down to the pig’s front hoofs. Pork butt contains more fat and marbling, which makes it better suited to barbecue smoking.
-----------------------------------

I buy those to make Kalua Pig with and they work fine. I'm not sure why Costco calls them shoulder butt (some of each maybe), but others have made pulled pork with them with no issues.

From the online grill:

Pork butt and pork shoulder both come from the shoulder of the pig. Pork butt (also called Boston Butt) comes from above the shoulder blades, while pork shoulder meat extends down to the pig’s front hoofs. Pork butt contains more fat and marbling, which makes it better suited to barbecue smoking.
-----------------------------------

I buy those to make Kalua Pig with and they work fine. I'm not sure why Costco calls them shoulder butt (some of each maybe), but others have made pulled pork with them with no issues.
I'm not sure I am understanding exactly what you are saying. So are you saying that both pieces are actually Boston Butt's and neither of them is the shoulder?

It seems like every time I have made this (twice), one of the pieces is clearly much more supple and juicy than the other. Is that just variations in meat?!

I'm not sure I am understanding exactly what you are saying. So are you saying that both pieces are actually Boston Butt's and neither of them is the shoulder?

It seems like every time I have made this (twice), one of the pieces is clearly much more supple and juicy than the other. Is that just variations in meat?!

I don't know what they are - it might be the way Costco has them cut where they have both part of the shoulder and part of the Butt. I am not sure why they label them Shoulder Butt. No one else does that. LOL.

They look like Butts to me and they cook just fine.

Last edited:
Pork butt and Pork shoulder come from the same area. The butt or boston butt is the upper part of shoulder and the shoulder or picnic shoulder is from below that to where leg starts.
I only use the bone in butts and do pulled pork with it.
unfortunately Costco only sells the bone out or atleast the one by me.

Pork butt (Boston butt) comes from higher in the shoulder, and typically includes part of the shoulder blade bone. They're also rectangular(ish) in shape, which is what the pictures show.

A pork shoulder (aka shoulder picnic) comes from lower on the shoulder and can include part of the upper leg bone. They more tapered in shape (not quite a triangle, but definitely not rectangular).

I suspect they call it at Shoulder Butt so that unindoctrinated folks won't think it's the south end of a northbound pig! :)

It's called the Butt because it is the butt end of the whole shoulder.

As to why you have noticed differences in tenderness with pieces from the same package......different animals, different storage, different conditions during cook could all be a factor......

R

From what I've read they get mislabeled all the time in the stores. I've had really good success with the ones from Costco but usually go with what is on sale at the grocery stores. Just this week we have 2 stores with sales of .99/lb. I plan on picking up 3 of them to do this weekend.

I picked up a pair at restaurant depot yesterday for $2.95/lb and it was a great deal for out here.

Former meat cutter here,yes those are 2 boneless Boston butts, the other Part of the shoulder is the fresh picnic.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back