Pork Shoulder in a pan

johnnyd48

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Ive been putting my pulled pork in an aluminum pan around 165 degrees when i wrap.
My question is why doesnt everyone do that? It seems to collect the juices much better
and keeps the meat so moist. Is there a disadvantage to doing this? It already gets plenty of hours of smoke on it.
Thanks for any remarks/comments.

Not that I have any experience, but does it not turn the bottom bark to mush? It would be nice to collect the juice.

I've done it plenty of times in my MES30 electric smoker. Started off as a drip pan below the meet to reduce mess, then moved the meat into it, maybe with some liquid and seal with foil. Works great for pork butt and beef chuck roasts. I haven't done that as much with the RT - no particular reason other than I don't need a drip pan like with the electric. It will soften the bark as noted.

Yes, correct it gets soft on the bottom but its just the fat cap anyways and i throw it away.
I do seal it with foil, but it doesn't seem to harm the bark at all. I Dont add any liquid because the rendered fat and juices provide enough juice.
thanks for your input.

I'll have to try one with the fat cap, I've always cut them off.

FYI, my local BBQ joint taught me that and they have the best food. Give it a shot. I will always do it.
I also do the same for brisket. Meat Church is my fav rubs by far. Give them a try.

I do exactly what you're doing, except that I keep it on a small stainless rack that fits inside the disposable pan so the meat sits above the juices. Keeps the bark from getting soggy.

Attachments

• BE0C3BC4-B95F-4566-97B6-9B6C4D4938E0.jpeg
    BE0C3BC4-B95F-4566-97B6-9B6C4D4938E0.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 118
I do exactly what you're doing, except that I keep it on a small stainless rack that fits inside the disposable pan so the meat sits above the juices. Keeps the bark from getting soggy.
Same here. I will put some beef broth and Apple juice in the pan with a Chuck on a rack. When it gets up to temp, will add a little more broth and cover for the remaining. For the rest, I will drain the juice into an oil seperator, then wrap the chuck. Makes for a great gravy, or if you're gonna pull it, to put back into the meat. I have done smaller butts in a similar fashion and used the juice to make some really good enchilada sauce and/or just add back to the pork after pulling it. You really need an oil separator though to make fat removal easier.

great idea. Thanks for the advice.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back