Pork Butt

NBK

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I Just started a 14 pound pork butt on the smoker. Applied a sweet/habanero dry rub this morning (marinated all day). The cook will go through the night and should be done hopefully before noon. Stay tuned. Looking to make some pulled pork sandwiches on America's birthday!

20220703_211109.jpg

^^^ Exactly what my RT did on an overnight brisket cook yesterday...rock steady for 12 hrs at 200...using RT pellets.
I was very pleased.....and well rested...

Have had a 10.5 lb pork butt on since 11 last night. Will send a photo when done. At 177 now. Would send a photo now but already wrapped it.

I’ve had similar results and, since I’ve checked the accuracy of the Signals probes, I trust that unit rather than the RT. This is why it is essential to have an independent temperature measurement source to cross-check the RT. My personal preference is the Signals and Thermapen One units from Thermoworks, but other quality devices will also work.

Finished the cook last night after 25 hours in the pit. Late night so no pic of the finished product (and too late to eat - 10:00 pm). We had sandwiches for dinner with coleslaw tonight. It was epic. Super juicy, beautiful bark, amazing smoke ring and a perfect flavor. Best butt so far on the Bull. Definitely worth the ridiculous wait.

Last edited:
25 hrs for 14 lbs, think I'll stick with the 7 pounders.
I hear you, but at the same time I prefer the 24 hour cooks of say a brisket. It’s easier for me to put on a protein today at x in the afternoon to have ready to eat 24 hours later than It is for me to start a cook that I want to eat in the evening, 12 or so hours later. I dislike staying up to 02:00 to put a pork but on the smoker.

Sorry for hijacking the thread but I have had butts that took 20 hours @ 16lbs sitting right next to a 17 hour @16lbs just because of the lean to fat ratio of the pig. I typically plan for 1.25 hours per pound un-injected. If I inject, I typically count on 1.5-1.75 hours per pound and feel elated when it is less. I added a couple of pics from my recent cook of a brisket. I did it in two parts. The pre-wrap and post-wrap as I find the additional details is helpful in dialing in the process. You will see the name Brisket Flat but that is a full packer and I used the name to identify where the probe was inserted, not the type of protein.
92520AF3-F0D0-421C-A9DF-B8A16EA530BF.jpeg

83F9DE8F-7DEE-40CF-91DE-CE0D25910053.jpeg

Finished the cook last night after 25 hours in the pit. Late night so no pic of the finished product (and too late to eat - 10:00 pm). We had sandwiches for dinner with coleslaw tonight. It was epic. Super juicy, beautiful bark, amazing smoke ring and a perfect flavor. Best butt so far on the Bull. Definitely worth the ridiculous wait.
I am not surprised. At 225 I am finding that it takes at least 2 hours per pound for large cuts like pork butt and brisket. Since the smoke is most effective during the first several hours, I have occasionally upped the temp after the stall to finish the cook.

I am not surprised. At 225 I am finding that it takes at least 2 hours per pound for large cuts like pork butt and brisket. Since the smoke is most effective during the first several hours, I have occasionally upped the temp after the stall to finish the cook.
Yes, after the stall/wrap you can finish it on whatever, even in the kitchen oven.

Any advice for more smoke flavor on a pork butt? Love the convenience of the Bull but missing the smoke flavor I got from my Green Egg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back