Bull Pork butt

JoeNizzle

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Loving my new bull. Smoked low and slow held great during an amazing colorado night/weekend.

Smoked some jalapeño poppers as well.

Finished the rolls last night, will make some Tacos tonight and vacuum seal the rest for later.

20201003_164901.jpg
20201003_170023.jpg
20201003_170836.jpg

Looks killer!! Makes me want to go and smoke one of the butts I have in the freezer.

Mind sharing what all you did for yours?

No problem at all, and thank you for your service!
  • I used about a 7.5 pound bone in pork butt
  • Let your smoker get up to temp to 225 (I used lumberjack Maple-Hickory-Cherry blend)
  • Pat the butt dry ;)
  • Olive oil (mustard works too, but I ran out after my ribs a few days earlier).
  • Cover with your favorite rub (this time was a Boars Night Out BBQ Rub)
  • Smoke on 225 until internal temp is 160ish (spray with some apple juice/brown sugar mix, not necessary if you'd rather sleep or away)
  • If you choose to wrap (I did this time, double wrap in foil with a small amount of apple juice) and kick temp up to 250. Otherwise, you can leave it on the smoker(still at 225) if you have time and continue to spray until final temp for a thicker bark.
  • Pull around 200-205 (probe should go in like butter) Total cook time was about 16 hours for this particular piece meat (each one can be different I've learned though)
  • Put in cambro cooler (towels and any cooler) and let rest for an hour or so (or when your ready to eat, I've let them rest for up to 4-5 hours and its still hot)
  • Shred it up with some claws/forks or just a pair of gloves
  • Serve with your fav sauce (endless choices there, bbq/thai chili/Carolina....etc)

Great write up @JoeNizzle. I always like to see what other do with their pork. Always something to learn from others. Thanks again and thanks for your support.

That looks amazing and has a really nice bark and smoke ring. I noticed on mine that I get considerably less smoke at 225 than I do at 180 so have been wondering how the bark would turn out smoking at 225. Your pictures seem to tell the story!

rookie question here. When you say let rest in a cooler or wherever do you leave the foil on the butt?

rookie question here. When you say let rest in a cooler or wherever do you leave the foil on the butt?

I leave mine wrapped in the cooler. It causes all the rendered fat to stay in the meat rather than leaking out so the end result is a juicier product.

Butcher paper works great, keeps the bark from firming up a little more. I had just recently ran out on my last brisket. Either way leaving your meats in a towel/blanket(still wrapped) cooler (cambro) is an absolute must imo. It's much better to be done way early and sit in the cooler then done late and shred/cut without resting.

I've smoked at 225 and 250 degrees and did not see an appreciable difference in the smoke ring or flavor. I will say that I used hickory for a couple of butts early on and the smoke was strong and somewhat bitter. Changed to Lumberjack's 100% Oak and the flavor is very, very nice. I usually cook unwrapped until done and then wrap to let cool for a couple of hours before pulling.

Took some tips from this thread including some of @JoeNizzle and others but made some slight changes.
- 6-7 lbs pork butt
- salt & Rub 1 hr before cooking, tie up with butcher string
- on the bull at 225 with BBQ Delight Apple Wood pellets
- no spritzing until hitting the stall at ~160, then wrap in foil and added 1/2 to 1 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- then raised grill temp to 300 (to speed up the cook)
- pulled at 202 internal temp
- Total cook time was ~12 hrs, let it rest for 1 hr
Was the best Pork Butt we have ever made, moist with good smoke ring and the family loved it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back