Pork Butt\Shoulder smells like ... diarrhea after cooked.

I mentioned this before and didn't do well, I'll try again...
If the meat sits (cooks/smokes) to long in a warm moist environment it will grow bacteria. The magic numbers that I've read is the IT of 140 must be reached within 4 hours to reduce the risk of bacteria growth. I personally don't buy the thought of "when the meat reaches an IT of 200 it kills the bacteria" theory because of your experience. This is the same reason that newer crockpots run hotter than the ones from several decades ago.
I've purchased bad pork before and it was rancid out of the package, no doubt it wasn't edible.
Interesting. I just did my first prime rib the other day, and used the Recteq video for holiday prime rib. One of the first thing he says to do in the video is take the meat out of the fridge and let it sit on the counter for 4 hours to come up to room temperature before cooking it.

Interesting. I just did my first prime rib the other day, and used the Recteq video for holiday prime rib. One of the first thing he says to do in the video is take the meat out of the fridge and let it sit on the counter for 4 hours to come up to room temperature before cooking it.

That recommendation has been around in one form or another for decades. I've done it myself numerous times. I think it helps limit bacteria growth if you use a salty rub before setting it out to warm. Afterall, salt has been preserving meat for hundreds of years, if not thousands.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back