Pork butt seasoning rub

NightHawk

I'm looking to find a great dry rub for pork shoulder? I've been reading reviews all over the internet and all seem to be the same. The negative reviews are mostly complaints about saltiness. Will you kindly give me opinions on what you use and why? And if there's a pro or a con that stands out, please tell me about it. Also, had anyone used Bad Byron's rub? Amazon showed them with 5 stars. I want to find a deep rich flavor. Thank you for your opinions.

Honestly, when I dry rub, I usually stick to SPG, occasionally I will use Bad Bryon's Butt rubb - it is very good and I have no complaints with it...

What kind of flavor are you looking for? Something sweet or spicy?

I used Byron's also, it's good with a nice flavor. It does include chipotle powder, so it might get spicier than your family likes depending on how much you apply.

Have you tried doing a SPG and throw in some brown sugar and cayenne pepper? My wife is the same, so I've taken to making my own mixes to get the right blend...

This is my go to Pork butt rub. Only one I'll use. It's called Mempis Dust. Theres no salt in the rub because I dry brine my pork.

3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar

3/4 cup white sugar

1/2 cup American paprika

1/4 cup garlic powder

2 tablespoons ground black pepper

2 tablespoons ground ginger powder

2 tablespoons onion powder

2 teaspoons rosemary powder

We use a rub I found on theblackpeppercorn.com Its called Sweet and Smokey Chipotle Rub. You can adjust the amount of chipotle for your family’s taste. We like it a little spicy so I add a little additional chipotle powder.

2 tbsp chipotle powder
2 tbsp smoked paprika
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp coriander
2 tbsp salt
2 tbsp dark brown sugar

Gentlemen.. thank you so much. I will try all of them... I love trying new flavor profiles...

An easy go to, Bad byrons butt rub cut equal parts with brown sugar. For me its to salty out of the jug so thats where i started. I use it as a base for many rubs i make, one i use for alot of things is cut close to 1:1 but a little less sugar than that. Add fresh ground espresso beans till you can ever so faintly taste coffee and then i add whatever heat you want to the level you desire. The coffee becomes more pronounced as it cooks and the heat stays about what it is when you dry taste it. But frankly, find a basic rub you like and just experiment with changing it. Its the best way to learn how spices effect each other. Though i enjoy making my own i love playing with whats out there.

2 tbsp chipotle powder
2 tbsp smoked paprika
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp coriander
2 tbsp salt
2 tbsp dark brown sugar

As an example i would try this one as is, try it with ground fennel to taste and try both with and without spritzing with apple juice and depending maybe pepsi. Damn, now getting hungry thinking about it all.

Ok.. the bad Byron's saltiness was what I was concerned with before I bought it. Some do say it's really salty

Has anyone made the sweet rub on the Hey Grill Hey website? Sounds pretty tasty, and you control how spicy it is. I’ve never made my own rub from scratch, but I think I will give this one a try.

Has anyone made the sweet rub on the Hey Grill Hey website? Sounds pretty tasty, and you control how spicy it is. I’ve never made my own rub from scratch, but I think I will give this one a try.
Are you referring to this rub?

https://heygrillhey.com/best-sweet-rub-grilled-pork-chicken/

I love this rub and use on quite a bit of stuff including pork butts, chicken and ribs. I can't really take that much heat.......like dijon mustard is above my spice limit. So I do not put in any cayenne pepper and I cut the black pepper in half.

I love making my own rubs instead of buying for a couple of reasons. 1. You can add and cut back the heat and salt to your tasting since a lot of purchased rubs are high in salt and/or heat. 2. You don't find a rub that you love and then they discontinue it so now you have to start experimenting from scratch. (Happened to me a couple of times)

I've tried Bad Byron's a few times, and for me, it's just way too salty and oniony/garlicky, which makes it hard to find a good balance with the food. I made my own rubs for a while but quickly remembered I'm lazy and would rather spend my time cooking than prepping.
My absolute favorite rubs are any from the line of Dizzy Pig seasonings (https://dizzypigbbq.com/) (also on Amazon). Their flagship standard Dizzy Dust goes with everything, and I probably have close to a dozen of their other varieties. Every one of them are superb, and I use them for so many different things in the kitchen beyond just BBQ.
Half the fun of cooking is trying different flavors with foods that traditionally "shouldn't" go together and seeing what you like. Enjoy!

I second the Memphis Dust mentioned above, no salt in the rub, just dry brine first with Mortons kosher salt for a few hours or overnight. Not too spicy. My family has been very happy with it. If you want a little more heat you can always add a little cayenne.

How long do you do the dry brine?

I dry brine covered for 24hrs. I do 1tsp of kosher salt per pound. If you want it a tad saltier then use 2tsp per pound. I wouldnt do much more than that unless your the type of person that loves salty food.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back