pork butt help

Cirhere

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
New to smoking I put the pork butt on about 1030 last night it got to about 210 IT at about 700 (instant read Thermometer]
pulled it wrapped it in towels just checked it and it still is not fall apart meat not even the bone is easily removed

There are a ton of more experienced people on here that have better advice than me, but here’s what I do. I run it until the meat hits about 165. I then wrap it and continue smoking until 205. I’ll pull it and wrap in a towel, place in a cooler for an hour or so and it’s always been tender enough I can use 2 forks to pull it apart.

There are a ton of more experienced people on here that have better advice than me, but here’s what I do. I run it until the meat hits about 165. I then wrap it and continue smoking until 205. I’ll pull it and wrap in a towel, place in a cooler for an hour or so and it’s always been tender enough I can use 2 forks to pull it apart.
ok thanks

At 210 internal it should be very tender and shred very easy and the bone should pull right out. When you checked the temp were you too close to the bone possibly? Are you sure your thermometer is accurate?

Did you probe in multiple locations on the butt? Another measure is how was the feel of the probe when you put it in? It should go in almost like putting it in butter. If you feel resistance when probing, it is probably still not done yet.

Just use the IT as a time to check it for being probe tender like cookinjnj mentions. What temp did you cook it at. I start mine at 10:30 pm and they don't finish till mid after noon, about 16 hrs. Your temp probe was in a bad spot or is out to lunch if it said 210 and the butt wasn't really done. The 7.5 lb butt I did earlier this week went on at 10:45 pm and came off at 3:30 pm @ 225. IT was 197 when it checked butter soft. FWIW, at 6:30 am it was 160 degrees.

I would recommend calibrating your meat probes (ice water test/calibration) and use them to your advantage during the long cooks/smokes.
As mentioned before, seems very hard to believe you had a true IT of 210F with the meat consistently you ended up with.

i try to leave the lid closed for as long as possible throughout.

My method is dual probes, will spritz/check around 4 hours (I cook at 250F until after Progression out of the stall, then finish at 275F to IT of 202-205F, making sure it’s done), wrap 30 minutes into stall with a healthy dose of spritz on Foil/shoulder, and cook to completion.

tip: smoke tubes are worth the investment IMo :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FISCH75
Back