Pork Butt- 300 degrees? (ok for faster?)

geneseohawk

I want to do pulled pork this weekend, but don't have the time to give it the full 10-12 hours. Has anyone tried to do at 300 degrees for a quicker result? Was it a failure? ok? etc....

Here is a good thread on hot and fast pork butt. I’ve done several at 275-300 on my drum smoker that turned out great. I can get good smoke at those temps on the drum. You’ll probably need a smoke tube or chunks on the heat deflector if you want a good smoke profile on a pellet grill at those temps.

You don't tell us what size you have. I use a general guide of about 75 minutes per pound this time of the year. Also, I will wrap mine when the IT reaches about 160. I cook at 225 usually, but sometimes raise it to 250. Not sure if any of this helps.

Smoking temps are 225 to 275, higher than that and you're grilling. I would personally never do a pork butt or ribs over 275, but hey that's just my preference and I'm never in a hurry. :)

Couple hrs low temps so decent smoke profile and crank it up . Butt does know what temp it is. Can get done in 6-8 hrs depending on size.

I want to do pulled pork this weekend, but don't have the time to give it the full 10-12 hours. Has anyone tried to do at 300 degrees for a quicker result? Was it a failure? ok? etc....
I have had good luck with the first 2hrs at 225 then I bump to 275. To make sure I get the smoke, I use a smoke tube to generate a good 4hrs of smoke. If I am crunched for time at the and I will bump to 300 for the last 2hrs and still try to land around 203-205 internal temp. I still want to make sure I leave time to rest. Just my experience. Good luck!

I’ve done 275 a few times. I do the first couple of hours unwrapped to get a good smoke on it, then wrap it til it’s tender. If I were to try it at 325, I’d wait until I wrap it to take it that high…only because I’d worry about drying it out unwrapped at that temp.

All that said, the key will be to keep a probe in the meat so you’ll know when it gets in that 195-205 internal temp range and then you can “poke it” to determine when it’s actually tender. Again wrap it at 150-160 to keep moisture in the meat.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back