Pork Pork Belly Steaks from WF

This is a popular cut in Asian communities. You can grill it, but low and slow is probably best. You can find google all kinds of pork belly steak recipes.

I've never cooked one, so if you do, let us know how it comes out.

I've seen thick strips (Costco) and I've seen the entire pork belly but I've never seen steaks. There's so much fat to render that I would think it would have to be cooked low and slow.

I make porchetta using an entire pork belly and it is done in the oven and comes out with a crackling crust. Slow cooked and the fat completely renders out.

Share how you wind up cooking it.

I smoked those pork belly strips (costco) a few weeks ago in my 6'. Turned out great. kept the temps about 250 for 3.5 hrs.

20220305_140225.jpg

Just picked up a whole pork belly (costco) today and i hope to get it on the new 1250 this weekend. I will likely be adding some hickory pellets to my smoke tube for enhanced flavor.

I smoked those pork belly strips (costco) a few weeks ago in my 6'. Turned out great. kept the temps about 250 for 3.5 hrs.

View attachment 15333
That reminds me of the “old school” smoker I built many years ago. It worked quite well, but required quite a bit of tending. We did primarily salmon smoking in ours with much less fire and a lot more smoke.

Yes sir this one definitely takes a bit of tending but we love it. The pic shown is a flair up of the hickory chunks we put on while loading the meats.

I will likely be adding some hickory pellets to my smoke tube for enhanced flavor.
I don't claim this to be anything innovative and clever, but I have found that taking pure wood chunks (the kind folks use on lump charcoal/water smokers) and whacking them down with a hatchet to fit in a smoke tube surrounded by any decent pellet gives a more conventional "stick burner" smoke and lasts considerably longer than chips or specific species of pellet.

I don't claim this to be anything innovative and clever, but I have found that taking pure wood chunks (the kind folks use on lump charcoal/water smokers) and whacking them down with a hatchet to fit in a smoke tube surrounded by any decent pellet gives a more conventional "stick burner" smoke and lasts considerably longer than chips or specific species of pellet.
I think chips would do the same thing, but I suspect your chunks are bigger, which might provide a better smoke experience. I'm guessing they'll burn slower than chips.

Thoughts?

Yup @JGW I cut the chunks down to barely fit in the smoke tube and surround with pellets. It's a much slower and frankly smokier burn that lasts longer, in my experience, than the chips or pellets alone.

Plus I frankly like knowing I'm using solid wood chunks. The chips seem like it wouldn't be that hard to toss in scraps or filler wood.

Just tried this with my smoke tube. I mixed both pellets and chips. Smoked roughly twice as long with great flavor on my PB burnt ends. Great advice. Will be using this method until I get my hands on some chunks to widdle!

Yup @JGW I cut the chunks down to barely fit in the smoke tube and surround with pellets. It's a much slower and frankly smokier burn that lasts longer, in my experience, than the chips or pellets alone.

Plus I frankly like knowing I'm using solid wood chunks. The chips seem like it wouldn't be that hard to toss in scraps or filler wood.

I actually have a smoke thing (Smokenator) that fits in my Weber. it has a place for charcoal and/or wood chunks, as well as a water pan holder. It actually works very well, but I don't use it that often. If I want more smoke flavor, it's actually a pretty good way to go, though it takes tending like a stick burner.

At my age, convenience (and sleep) wins out, so I do most of my stuff on the RT. :whistle:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back