Bull Please recommend a rub for chicken wings

hogan1953

Hi all,

Just want to take a survey as to what you use for a dry rub on chicken wings. I got my Bull a few months ago and have done wings a couple of times. My skin turns out nice and crispy but I'm not completely happy with the flavor. I've gotta a big party coming up and I want to take the taste to the next level.

While about half the folks will want the wings sauced, I really need for them to be outstanding with rub alone.

What have you used for rub and loved? Store-bought, recipe, etc. I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks!

Various Meat Chuch rubs, Lemon Pepper, Salt and Pepper, etc. pretty much anything works.

I like, in no particular order, Cavender's Greek Seasoning, Tony Chacheri's, Dirty Girl Bloody Mary Rub.

Yes sir the first 2 are my go to combination, the other go to is simply Lawrys lemon pepper. I also really like Jack Daniels chicken rub as well, few who eat my wings want any sauce. :)

Hi all,

Just want to take a survey as to what you use for a dry rub on chicken wings. I got my Bull a few months ago and have done wings a couple of times. My skin turns out nice and crispy but I'm not completely happy with the flavor. I've gotta a big party coming up and I want to take the taste to the next level.

While about half the folks will want the wings sauced, I really need for them to be outstanding with rub alone.

What have you used for rub and loved? Store-bought, recipe, etc. I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks!
Kosmos has a lot of dry rubs to choose from. I have used a lot of them on my Weber kettle with great sucess. If you have a Ace hardware in your area most of them sell his products there. Good luck.

Kosmos has a lot of dry rubs to choose from. I have used a lot of them on my Weber kettle with great sucess. If you have a Ace hardware in your area most of them sell his products there. Good luck.
I'm a big fan of their Dirty Bird and garlic parmesan rubs. Great flavor without going overboard with the sodium.

Tone's lemon pepper seasoning is my Go To for chicken wings. Been using it since before I got my Bull. Always a hit and an easy appetizer for get togethers.

Hi all,

Thanks!
I dont
Thanks, everyone!
I dont use dry rub for wings. Wet rub is best.

Hogan…my apologies for a very late response. I agree with how you like your wings to turn out. I’m the same way. Plus, sauce takes away from the almost crisp-like skin.

FYI…I cook whole wings…I don’t break them down. I use a somewhat generous sprinkle on them. I cook them on my Bull at 275 degrees…typically around 1 1/2 hours. I start probing for temperature around 1 1/4 hours until I get to around 170. I try to use my senses on how much I can get the skin crisp without drying out the meat. I typically do flip the wings over at the 1-hour mark but I’ve also let them cook on the one-side a few times too. Try both ways to find your sweet spot. I don’t spritz my wings.

Here’s a rub I’ve used for a few years with success and numerous complements. It makes a batch that’ll last a little while. Then, again, I’ll use it on pork ribs too.

Hope you like it…

Rick

Attachments

• 8EBEE42D-1AC5-43D2-A815-4F5B19DA0CF6.jpeg
    8EBEE42D-1AC5-43D2-A815-4F5B19DA0CF6.jpeg
    147.9 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
Goya Adobo
My standby for chicken.
Doesn't mask the natural flavors but brings them out.

I like, in no particular order, Cavender's Greek Seasoning, Tony Chacheri's, Dirty Girl Bloody Mary Rub.
I loved the Durty Gurl rub but can’t find it anywhere. Where can you buy it? It’s not in the recteq rubs. I bought the rub bundle when I got the 1250. I was bummed there is no Dirty Gurl!

I did these a month ago amazing, normally I am a dry rub only guy but these are good.
Lately I have been getting rubs from Spiceology. Lots of choices from normal, to no salt or no sugar. It really is tailored to your tastes.

Just got my Nashville Hot Chicken, Hot Honey, Smoked Honey Habanero and several others in today!

Hi all,

Thanks!
If you like Buffalo try McCormick Original Buffalo Wing Seasoning Mix

To stay smart with my money Tony’s bold is the go to. But 2 parts garlic salt with 1 part chili de arbol molido ( powder ) if you have an Hispanic tienda (store) it’s in a see through plastic pouch about 4” square. I haven’t beaten this combo but, add anything else to the chili and you can’t go wrong. Don’t forget to dry your wings before you rub or shake try it on them wet with olive oil once placed in the Bull. There are allot of spices like this cheap and great quality at a tienda.

Attachments

• 548B0B09-B437-45D9-A21A-792C12E2808B.jpeg
    548B0B09-B437-45D9-A21A-792C12E2808B.jpeg
    230.2 KB · Views: 65

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back