Planning on getting RT-590, Some Questions

pesado

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Hello All,

I am planning on getting the RT-590. I don't have another grill and I have next to no grilling experience. I'd like to do long smokes but also quick bbq for burgers, hotdogs, etc. To do the grilling I plan on getting the sear kit. The RT-590 seems to be a good size for my purposes. Also since its smaller than the RT-700 I hear it heats up more quickly and it has a higher max temp (RT-590 hits 700 degrees vs the RT-700 hits 500 degrees).

Some questions I do have (mostly asking about quick grills at higher temperatures since I know it will do the job for smoking):
  • Am I correct in getting the RT-590 with the sear kit for burgers, hotdogs, etc?
    • What temp should the grill be at, I'd assume around 500 degrees but I hear the sear kit can hit 100+ degrees higher, so should I really set the grill to 400?
  • Am I correct in getting the RT-590 instead of the RT-700 for faster heat up times?
  • I do plan on occasionally entertaining guests. Don't typically have too many people, might max out around 20. Is the RT-590 a good size for that?
  • I hear at those higher temperatures the fat that drips from the foods can cause fires? How do I prevent that from happening?
  • The grill comes with an offer for 200 lbs of recteq Ultimate Blend Wood pellets for $100. Is that a good price and pellet quality? (From what I've seen 50 cents a lb is good).
  • Is the grill cover also worth getting? Bundled for an extra $60.
I am fairly confident in purchasing the RT-590, really nice looking grill, and I think it meets all of my needs. But I wanted to put these questions out to make sure. Thanks in advance for all of the help.

This is the forum to ask questions because these guys have done it. I have had my 590 for roughly a year. I use it 2-3x a week. I’ve used it for everything. I had a cheap cabinet style smoker that my wife bought me for my birthday to get me into smoking. Once I started smoking meats and trying different things I knew I needed to step up. I did a lot of research before I purchased anything. My household is 2, my wife and myself. It is the perfect size for that and I have done some bigger cooks on it. I did 6 racks of baby backs for the KY derby party and that took up the whole cooking area before they shrunk down. It is a very solid pellet smoker/grill. The 590 holds its temp very well. I live north of Indianapolis, IN and our winter temp swings are crazy but it held strong while cooking in February @ -2 degrees. The ambient temp will always dictate the heat-up time. As for the grease fires, it all comes down to cleaning. I place a piece of foil below the grates on that plate. I also use a thin foil tray under the grates to catch the bulk of the grease. You can get them at any Kroger or walmart, about 1/2 deep. When I purchased the grill I bought the recteq pellets to start out with. I have found the Lumberjack pellets to be the cleanest burning. I did buy the grill cover when I bought my 590. I bought it out of any special deal. I recommend the cover but you have to do a little maintenance to the grill. There are some sharp corners on the grill that need some attention. (Around the pellet box) I used a small hammer to dull those corners and my cover has been solid. I cannot speak to the sear plates as I don’t have one. I have been very happy with my purchase and the Recteq brand. I love my 590 and I look forward to many years of service with it. It is built like a tank. It takes roughly an hour to put it together. Follow the instructions for the first burn and do it right from the beginning. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I have. Good luck in your decision.

Recteq site says 4 racks of ribs fit on the 590. That's why I jumped to the 1070 - (590 with a 2nd shelf). I don't buy my ribs at a butcher - so they come in 3 packs. So if I need 4 racks - I'm cooking 6. Nothing wrong with leftovers. Anyway FF Corey did 6 on a 590, so maybe I oversized my purchase.
I would just add the griddle to make it the most versatile you can. With the griddle you won't have grease from your burgers dripping into the grill - just pour out the mess afterwards into a milk jug or whatever container you have handy. I clicked all the accessories shown for my grill except for the extra grill (340) and the Sauce pack. Good Luck!

Recteq site says 4 racks of ribs fit on the 590. That's why I jumped to the 1070 - (590 with a 2nd shelf). I don't buy my ribs at a butcher - so they come in 3 packs. So if I need 4 racks - I'm cooking 6. Nothing wrong with leftovers. Anyway FF Corey did 6 on a 590, so maybe I oversized my purchase.
I would just add the griddle to make it the most versatile you can. With the griddle you won't have grease from your burgers dripping into the grill - just pour out the mess afterwards into a milk jug or whatever container you have handy. I clicked all the accessories shown for my grill except for the extra grill (340) and the Sauce pack. Good Luck!
Oh I didn't even know about the griddle. Seems like a really good option for breakfast foods too. Have you used the sear kit for burgers? If so do you prefer the griddle or the sear kit?

1070 is probably a bit big for me. I could probably purchase an extra shelf for the 590 if I need it. Also update I did purchase the 590 and the extra accessories.

This is the forum to ask questions because these guys have done it. I have had my 590 for roughly a year. I use it 2-3x a week. I’ve used it for everything. I had a cheap cabinet style smoker that my wife bought me for my birthday to get me into smoking. Once I started smoking meats and trying different things I knew I needed to step up. I did a lot of research before I purchased anything. My household is 2, my wife and myself. It is the perfect size for that and I have done some bigger cooks on it. I did 6 racks of baby backs for the KY derby party and that took up the whole cooking area before they shrunk down. It is a very solid pellet smoker/grill. The 590 holds its temp very well. I live north of Indianapolis, IN and our winter temp swings are crazy but it held strong while cooking in February @ -2 degrees. The ambient temp will always dictate the heat-up time. As for the grease fires, it all comes down to cleaning. I place a piece of foil below the grates on that plate. I also use a thin foil tray under the grates to catch the bulk of the grease. You can get them at any Kroger or walmart, about 1/2 deep. When I purchased the grill I bought the recteq pellets to start out with. I have found the Lumberjack pellets to be the cleanest burning. I did buy the grill cover when I bought my 590. I bought it out of any special deal. I recommend the cover but you have to do a little maintenance to the grill. There are some sharp corners on the grill that need some attention. (Around the pellet box) I used a small hammer to dull those corners and my cover has been solid. I cannot speak to the sear plates as I don’t have one. I have been very happy with my purchase and the Recteq brand. I love my 590 and I look forward to many years of service with it. It is built like a tank. It takes roughly an hour to put it together. Follow the instructions for the first burn and do it right from the beginning. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I have. Good luck in your decision.
Thank you for the advice. Definitely made me feel confident I could use the 590 exclusively and do everything I want on it. I will definitely be on this forum quite a lot as this is literally the first grill I've ever owned.

Here is my 2 cents worth.
I started off with the 590, it is plenty big enough for us, I have put 3 racks 2 baby back and 1 St. Louis. I think you could do 4 baby back. I do have the sear kit and it works well.

I too was a grilling idiot, but the RT590 made it easy for me. I would not over think it too much.
As far as size, I would buy for what you need 90% of the time. IMHO I would get a second grill or griddle to compliment the 590 with the difference.

I had the 590, then bought a Bullseye and then a Blackstone griddle. I use all three. You just need to understand they are all different. Yes you can do everything on the 590, but just easier on different grills.
I use the 590 for smoking pork butts, ribs, beef tenderloins, briskets. It is a rock solid smoker. Mine has not let me down. I use the Bullseye for hot and fast, burgers, chicken, Outside skirt steaks, wings.
I use my Blackstone for breakfast, fried rice, searing if I sous vide. Oh yeah, I go one of those too.

Grease fires, I have only had one in the Bulleye never the 590, when I was cooking burgers, It will ignite, which is why I got the Blackstone. The griddles RT sells, dont work well IMHO and I have had two.

So in conclusion, the 590 is an excellent choice, I love mine. If I had a little extra I would get the 590 and maybe a Blackstone, then you have the best of both worlds.

And I use the ultimate blend pellets exclusively, they are awesome.
Not sure if that helps, but get the 590 stick your toe in the water and go from there. It may suit your needs.

590 owner. Don't use it as a primary for burgers and such as I use the Blackstone. Have the cover but still in package as I keep smoker in garage. Also have the griddle, used once. PITA to clean because it is so big and heavy. Lose alot of your heat every time would open to flip eggs, pancakes etc. Otherwise it is a great smoker. Good luck with your choice. . .

I started off with the 590, it is plenty big enough for us, I have put 3 racks 2 baby back and 1 St. Louis. I think you could do 4 baby back. I do have the sear kit and it works well.

I too was a grilling idiot, but the RT590 made it easy for me. I would not over think it too much.
As far as size, I would buy for what you need 90% of the time. IMHO I would get a second grill or griddle to compliment the 590 with the difference.

I had the 590, then bought a Bullseye and then a Blackstone griddle. I use all three. You just need to understand they are all different. Yes you can do everything on the 590, but just easier on different grills.
I use the 590 for smoking pork butts, ribs, beef tenderloins, briskets. It is a rock solid smoker. Mine has not let me down. I use the Bullseye for hot and fast, burgers, chicken, Outside skirt steaks, wings.
I use my Blackstone for breakfast, fried rice, searing if I sous vide. Oh yeah, I go one of those too.

Grease fires, I have only had one in the Bulleye never the 590, when I was cooking burgers, It will ignite, which is why I got the Blackstone. The griddles RT sells, dont work well IMHO and I have had two.

So in conclusion, the 590 is an excellent choice, I love mine. If I had a little extra I would get the 590 and maybe a Blackstone, then you have the best of both worlds.

Not sure if that helps, but get the 590 stick your toe in the water and go from there. It may suit your needs.
Thanks for the advice. I heard in some places that it would be best to have a secondary grill for other things. Unfortunately that's outside of my price range right now so I was hoping for something that can get by on doing it all, even if it is a bit more work. Glad to hear the 590 is idiot proof as well, definitely going to need that.

Glad to hear you didn't experience any grease fires on the 590, it makes me really nervous. Consensus seems to be that as long as I'm being careful it wont be an issue.

Sad to hear about the RT griddle not being the best I really like the idea of getting a griddle. Are there any griddles you would recommend for the 590?

Also glad to hear the pellets are good, it was on sale with the 590 and I got 200 pounds.
Your comment definitely helps a lot, I really appreciate it.

590 owner. Don't use it as a primary for burgers and such as I use the Blackstone. Have the cover but still in package as I keep smoker in garage. Also have the griddle, used once. PITA to clean because it is so big and heavy. Lose alot of your heat every time would open to flip eggs, pancakes etc. Otherwise it is a great smoker. Good luck with your choice. . .
I did buy the 590 after all with the cover and sear set. Yeah I am hearing the griddle is not the best. I really like the idea of making breakfast items on it though so I'll continue to look into griddles, if you have any ideas let me know. I think I have an overall understanding of the 590's pros and cons. Still happy with the choice, up to me to make the most of it and learn how to grill. Thanks for your comment!

I do burgers all the time, have never even come close to a grease fire. Yes with the slight taper of the pan it is important to be on a level surface, and I don't use foil as grease just pools on that and it doesn't flow off as well. My 590 has been 100% reliable, heats and holds solid, and has helped make my best BBQ in years of doing such.

W.. a couple questions if I may. First, did you have to turn off your smoke alarm in the garage? Second, I found the flat side of Grill Grates works well for burgers and fish. Have you tried them in your RT? Cheers.

Alarm in garage is off😆 Blackstone at times sets it off. I have used grill grates in RT but at the higher heats, not a lot of smoke anyhow so use the Blackstone. Thing is awesome with fish.

Thanks for the advice. I heard in some places that it would be best to have a secondary grill for other things. Unfortunately that's outside of my price range right now so I was hoping for something that can get by on doing it all, even if it is a bit more work. Glad to hear the 590 is idiot proof as well, definitely going to need that.

Glad to hear you didn't experience any grease fires on the 590, it makes me really nervous. Consensus seems to be that as long as I'm being careful it wont be an issue.

Sad to hear about the RT griddle not being the best I really like the idea of getting a griddle. Are there any griddles you would recommend for the 590?

Also glad to hear the pellets are good, it was on sale with the 590 and I got 200 pounds.
Your comment definitely helps a lot, I really appreciate it.
If you have the sear kit, you can turn the GG over and use the flat side. As long as you don't have a ton of grease you will be fine, I would not cook something like bacon on the GG. I just would do everything except use it as a griddle, you will still be exceedingly happy.

Couldn’t find info on the sear kit. Would Straight Grill Grates on the flat side work for (do t shoot me) turkey burgers, dogs, etc. Minimal grease items?

Couldn’t find info on the sear kit. Would Straight Grill Grates on the flat side work for (do t shoot me) turkey burgers, dogs, etc. Minimal grease items?
Yes! see the link about. You can buy directly from GG, they are very good to work with.

There are many cast iron griddles out there, just get one you like that'll fit. I use a Lodge 11" square for the 2 of us.

Yes! see the link about. You can buy directly from GG, they are very good to work with.
Pops, I already have a set for my Weber Spurit 2 E310. Have to check front to back dimensions of the 590. I have a feeling mine are too long? Cheers.

I did to 6 racks on the 590 but it was really tight. I had to wait a couple hours to re-adjust them and give them some space. If I knew then what I know now I would have went up a step in model. I like to cook big meals but this was my first attempt at a pellet smoker and I wanted to make sure I liked it. Unfortunatel, I LOVE IT, so I will be looking to upgrade when I wear this one out. It’ll be a while.

I completely agree. I am in the process of finding the right size Blackstone that I would like to compliment the gas grill, 590 and my upright smoker(unfortunately I don’t use much anymore. I keep it because the wife bought it for me as a birthday present).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back