Stampede Planning on getting RT-590, Some Questions

I did to 6 racks on the 590 but it was really tight. I had to wait a couple hours to re-adjust them and give them some space. If I knew then what I know now I would have went up a step in model. I like to cook big meals but this was my first attempt at a pellet smoker and I wanted to make sure I liked it. Unfortunatel, I LOVE IT, so I will be looking to upgrade when I wear this one out. It’ll be a while.
2nd rack mod in the mean time? I know I've seen it on this site - basically turning your 590 into a 1070 as far as rack space goes.

Thanks for the advice. I heard in some places that it would be best to have a secondary grill for other things. Unfortunately that's outside of my price range right now so I was hoping for something that can get by on doing it all, even if it is a bit more work. Glad to hear the 590 is idiot proof as well, definitely going to need that.

Glad to hear you didn't experience any grease fires on the 590, it makes me really nervous. Consensus seems to be that as long as I'm being careful it wont be an issue.

Sad to hear about the RT griddle not being the best I really like the idea of getting a griddle. Are there any griddles you would recommend for the 590?

Also glad to hear the pellets are good, it was on sale with the 590 and I got 200 pounds.
Your comment definitely helps a lot, I really appreciate it.
I believe the 590 is a great starter smoker/grill. It is universal and works well for a lot of things. U can always look at an electric griddle to supplement right now until you pull the trigger on something else. Just a suggestion. That is the way I started and just placed the electric griddle on a table outside to enjoy cooking outside. Good luck and enjoy learning about all of it, that’s what I found out

2nd rack mod in the mean time? I know I've seen it on this site - basically turning your 590 into a 1070 as far as rack space goes.
I haven’t researched that. I just stuffed them on the grates and rearranged them after a couple hours. I know now, that if I do anything bigger than 4 racks, I’ll need to get the vertical rib racks or the secondary horizontal, aftermarket racks that are out there. They turned out perfect, just had to work the space a little more.

I haven’t researched that. I just stuffed them on the grates and rearranged them after a couple hours. I know now, that if I do anything bigger than 4 racks, I’ll need to get the vertical rib racks or the secondary horizontal, aftermarket racks that are out there. They turned out perfect, just had to work the space a little more.
I went with a GrillaGrills Jerky rack for more space. So far I've used it for jerky, wings and ribs. All stainless, up to 3 shelves (bottom 2 removable) and folds up for storage.

IMG_3480.JPG
IMG_3478.JPG

Hello All,

I am planning on getting the RT-590. I don't have another grill and I have next to no grilling experience. I'd like to do long smokes but also quick bbq for burgers, hotdogs, etc. To do the grilling I plan on getting the sear kit. The RT-590 seems to be a good size for my purposes. Also since its smaller than the RT-700 I hear it heats up more quickly and it has a higher max temp (RT-590 hits 700 degrees vs the RT-700 hits 500 degrees).

Some questions I do have (mostly asking about quick grills at higher temperatures since I know it will do the job for smoking):
  • Am I correct in getting the RT-590 with the sear kit for burgers, hotdogs, etc?
    • What temp should the grill be at, I'd assume around 500 degrees but I hear the sear kit can hit 100+ degrees higher, so should I really set the grill to 400?
  • Am I correct in getting the RT-590 instead of the RT-700 for faster heat up times?
  • I do plan on occasionally entertaining guests. Don't typically have too many people, might max out around 20. Is the RT-590 a good size for that?
  • I hear at those higher temperatures the fat that drips from the foods can cause fires? How do I prevent that from happening?
  • The grill comes with an offer for 200 lbs of recteq Ultimate Blend Wood pellets for $100. Is that a good price and pellet quality? (From what I've seen 50 cents a lb is good).
  • Is the grill cover also worth getting? Bundled for an extra $60.
I am fairly confident in purchasing the RT-590, really nice looking grill, and I think it meets all of my needs. But I wanted to put these questions out to make sure. Thanks in advance for all of the help.
I got the RT-590 a year and a half ago. Bought the pellet offer and the cover. The pellets work great. I never use the cover since I have an outdoor closet to keep it in. I bought both the sear kit and the griddle. Only used the sear kit once. May never use it again. Use the griddle all of the time for smash burgers. Do hotdogs on both the normal grill and the griddle. Gave away my gas grill to a son-in-law because I can do everything on the Stampede. Try smoking Mac & Cheese. Have had zero problems with my Stampede. The mobile phone APP is fantastic. Once you have the meat on the grill, you can do everything from the APP…while watching a football game.

I have had my 590 about year and a half and it became my primary grill. I sometimes think about busting out the Weber for some quick stuff but the 590 is just so convenient. Maybe I just got too used to burning everything on the Weber 🤣 but I do most grillled foods at max on the grill grates. Seems to be the only way I get a decent crust. I have done burgers a few times and no issues of flare ups for me. I once had a startup that was smoking like crazy and I think it was from carbonized left over pellets. Just had that once though. It does great for long cooks and I never had a stick burner so the level of smoke flavor is good to me. I do a lot of pulled pork and it turns out great. I do miss grilling on the Weber a bit, chicken and burgers came out better. I want to do chicken with skin lower to get more flavor in the 590 but then end up with rubbery skin. I did a turkey and the skin wasn’t great. Turkeys I did in the Weber with the rotisserie were better. But 590 is so convenient I haven’t gone back to the Weber. I probably will at some point. Reverse sear rib eyes come out phenomenal on the 590. If you get a newer one I believe you will get an upgraded model with the cast iron deflector and better motor that gets hotter than mine. Overall 590 was a great purchase for me and gets lots of use.

Thanks for the advice. I heard in some places that it would be best to have a secondary grill for other things. Unfortunately that's outside of my price range right now so I was hoping for something that can get by on doing it all, even if it is a bit more work. Glad to hear the 590 is idiot proof as well, definitely going to need that.

Glad to hear you didn't experience any grease fires on the 590, it makes me really nervous. Consensus seems to be that as long as I'm being careful it wont be an issue.

Sad to hear about the RT griddle not being the best I really like the idea of getting a griddle. Are there any griddles you would recommend for the 590?

Also glad to hear the pellets are good, it was on sale with the 590 and I got 200 pounds.
Your comment definitely helps a lot, I really appreciate it.
I got a BBQ Hack Griddle Pellet Grill Insert for my 590. It gets screaming hot for searing steaks after I sous vide and you can fry burgers, bacon, eggs, fried rice, etc. on it. It runs about $125 if you shop around. I love it.

Hello All,

I am planning on getting the RT-590. I don't have another grill and I have next to no grilling experience. I'd like to do long smokes but also quick bbq for burgers, hotdogs, etc. To do the grilling I plan on getting the sear kit. The RT-590 seems to be a good size for my purposes. Also since its smaller than the RT-700 I hear it heats up more quickly and it has a higher max temp (RT-590 hits 700 degrees vs the RT-700 hits 500 degrees).

Some questions I do have (mostly asking about quick grills at higher temperatures since I know it will do the job for smoking):
  • Am I correct in getting the RT-590 with the sear kit for burgers, hotdogs, etc?
    • What temp should the grill be at, I'd assume around 500 degrees but I hear the sear kit can hit 100+ degrees higher, so should I really set the grill to 400?
  • Am I correct in getting the RT-590 instead of the RT-700 for faster heat up times?
  • I do plan on occasionally entertaining guests. Don't typically have too many people, might max out around 20. Is the RT-590 a good size for that?
  • I hear at those higher temperatures the fat that drips from the foods can cause fires? How do I prevent that from happening?
  • The grill comes with an offer for 200 lbs of recteq Ultimate Blend Wood pellets for $100. Is that a good price and pellet quality? (From what I've seen 50 cents a lb is good).
  • Is the grill cover also worth getting? Bundled for an extra $60.
I am fairly confident in purchasing the RT-590, really nice looking grill, and I think it meets all of my needs. But I wanted to put these questions out to make sure. Thanks in advance for all of the help.
I wouldn't get this for smoking. If you are looking to keep accurate temps, I can tell you from my experience, it doesn't work well. I had temp swings with two critical cooks that were unacceptable causing the cooks to be done way too soon and the meat over done.

They tried to fix it but were unable and so now it's taking up space in my garage. Having a hard time selling it.

I wouldn't get this for smoking. If you are looking to keep accurate temps, I can tell you from my experience, it doesn't work well. I had temp swings with two critical cooks that were unacceptable causing the cooks to be done way too soon and the meat over done.

They tried to fix it but were unable and so now it's taking up space in my garage. Having a hard time selling it.
What, are you serious, something's fishy here o_O
You know when you keep opening the lid the temps with vary.

I went with a GrillaGrills Jerky rack for more space. So far I've used it for jerky, wings and ribs. All stainless, up to 3 shelves (bottom 2 removable) and folds up for storage.

View attachment 16459View attachment 16458
When you do Jerky, are you set on Low? I’m just curious. I want to try jerky but I also have A dehydrator that makes some good stock at a very small fraction of the price you can buy it for.

View attachment 16459View attachment 16458
So doin some research I found Flametop system that looks identical to Grillagrills brand for half the price on amazon. Can you tell me the difference for $50 that I would pay for GrillaGrills? Thank you

So doin some research I found Flametop system that looks identical to Grillagrills brand for half the price on amazon. Can you tell me the difference for $50 that I would pay for GrillaGrills? Thank you
I have no idea if this Flametop is the same as the GrillaGills so can't comment on the $50 difference. If it really is identical, sounds like a great buy for $40, but many times, clones are really not identicalI so I would verify that all the dimensions and materials are the same.

When you do Jerky, are you set on Low? I’m just curious. I want to try jerky but I also have A dehydrator that makes some good stock at a very small fraction of the price you can buy it for.
I set the temp to ~200F. I used to use a dehydrator, but now use the pellet grill since I like mild smokey taste better.

I’ll just respond to a couple questions you posted. I have a 590. I only cook for myself because my wife really doesn’t eat much more than a half a sandwich of pulled pork. But I don’t think that this smoker would be adequate for a large group.

The grill kit is great. However, while I’ve grilled steaks and burgers on my 590, I just bought a Pirma steel two burner grill to do that job. Heats up much faster and since there are just the two of us, it’s more than adequate for a couple steaks or burgers. not suggesting you need a grill but just telling you The direction I took.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 82
I’ll just respond to a couple questions you posted. I have a 590. I only cook for myself because my wife really doesn’t eat much more than a half a sandwich of pulled pork. But I don’t think that this smoker would be adequate for a large group.

The grill kit is great. However, while I’ve grilled steaks and burgers on my 590, I just bought a Pirma steel two burner grill to do that job. Heats up much faster and since there are just the two of us, it’s more than adequate for a couple steaks or burgers. not suggesting you need a grill but just telling you The direction I took.
I have that set up with my 590 and my Weber spirit 210. I like the options they both offer. Quick burgers and chicken on the Weber and all the bigger cooks for parties and things on the 590. Looking to add the blackstone to round out all my options.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back