Planning my first cook!

Seattlepaul1975

Just had call from the freight company! Getting my delivery on the 23rd (Monday) sadly I have to wait that long, first time I can be home daytime to get it. Trying to plan my first cook. Any suggestions?
Thinking a Prime Rib for NYE and something on the 29th for Seahawks, but want to do a first cook to get used to it. Thoughts?

Something fatty is recommended. Pork butt would be good choice. I did some bacon, butt is next.

I'm not one of those that thinks that a greasy first cook is particularly necessary so your choices are wide open. Normally we see a rack of ribs done as a first cook because folks are typically comfortable with them being fairly goof proof, and a medium long cook to elicit confidence in how the equipment functions. In your case maybe a chicken or two. There are recipes all over the place, here, RT site, and elsewhere, so find what pleases you. Full, spatchcocked, or quarters, all are fairly easy as long as you monitor temp. I put up a link to a good guide for Prime Rib that's in the que again today, so there's some info.

As for the Seahawk/Forty Whiner game, cook something mild on your stomach.........…..at best the Hawks will frustrate us til the final moments and then either win or crap the bed. It's been that kind of year...…...…...………......…. :rolleyes: :censored:

Uncle B's idea of chicken if you can't do pork is a real good one. If you don't want to do full on chickens, chicken wings are outstanding on the pit, and just like chicken, there are many shared cooks on this site and others to learn from.

As far as the prime rib???? Probably my favorite thing I cook on my RT. You are going to love it.

Chicken quarters were the first to go on my Trailblazer. A pretty easy cook and it gave me several hours of tinkering with the smoker and to get accustumed to it.

For a quicker run, think about some tri-tips. They are like a big thick steak and should be cooked to the same internal temperatures as you like your steaks. We like 135F. I haven't done them on the Rectec yet, but the possibilities on techniques are plentiful to add smoke. My charcoal cooker methods included a front sear, mesquite smoke very low/slow to internal temp target.

Well the first cook is done and in the books. All I can say is WOW! I used the holiday prime rib video as my guide. I did my 1 hour burn in, then right to the Rib Roast. Took about 3 hours to get it done. Wife and I just moved into a new house at Thanksgiving, so was our first Xmas and building new traditions....well we found it! I have plans for Sunday smoke, and new years as well :)

Attachments

• cut_rib.jpg
    cut_rib.jpg
    739.5 KB · Views: 83
  • pre_cut.jpg
    pre_cut.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 80
Well the first cook is done and in the books.

WOW! That looks perfect! I'm happy that it worked out well for you, and congratulations on your new home.

If I were to do a prime rib roast I'd need to slice it after the cook and take some of it to higher temps, as some of my family won't touch it unless it's near well done.

Well the first cook is done and in the books. All I can say is WOW! I used the holiday prime rib video as my guide. I did my 1 hour burn in, then right to the Rib Roast. Took about 3 hours to get it done. Wife and I just moved into a new house at Thanksgiving, so was our first Xmas and building new traditions....well we found it! I have plans for Sunday smoke, and new years as well :)
Do you have a link to the 'holiday prime rib video' or can you tell me where to find it ?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back