Pizza on the Grill

Not to hijack this with another idea (and maybe too late for Beth) but i felt a year ago i absolutely had to have a pizza oven. 4 kids under 17 and i thought it would be FUN for them. There is a lot packed in to this i won't share other than the highlight (low light) being kids these days don't enjoy the experience as much as the outcome. The first two times we did it, it was a blast... thereafter they wanted delivery... not because it was better but because they hated the clean up, cutting up veggies, stretching doe, etc.

Setting that aside, when i was really focused on a $4k type wood burning pizza oven i saw the Oni and others at a lower price point. I wasn't ready to take the plunge for that big dollar amount of the big ones and so i found the Kettle Pizza for my Weber.

I bought the Kettle Pizza with the steel cover, their all in system. Stone, baskets, etc. And i LOVE it. All in (even if you have to buy a Weber Kettle grill) it is less than the Oni. If you have a Weber Kettle already it is like $500 for all accessories to really make it hum. If you dont want the pizza stone kit, or the steel top kit it is less than $300.

This thing rocks. I use it all of the time now for even quick steaks, chicken, etc. But for pizza and a real wood taste it is a home run. Start the fire with charcoal... get to temp and then throw 4-5 chunks of wood in the basket and it is at 600-800 degrees with flames rolling over the top. EXCELLENT!

The only pizzas i make on my RT are deep dish long cooks in a cast iron pan. In fact that is today's menu item! Always meat eaters! Love this too.

Sorry to hijack post... let me thank you for this one though as i just added a lodge pizza pan cast iron to my Christmas list.

Anyone out there with opinions on the Pizza Steel versus Cast Iron Pizza Pan. I think this isn't a question that takes this post off track. As it should also help Beth in her considerations?
Not to hijack this with another idea (and maybe too late for Beth) but i felt a year ago i absolutely had to have a pizza oven. 4 kids under 17 and i thought it would be FUN for them. There is a lot packed in to this i won't share other than the highlight (low light) being kids these days don't enjoy the experience as much as the outcome. The first two times we did it, it was a blast... thereafter they wanted delivery... not because it was better but because they hated the clean up, cutting up veggies, stretching doe, etc.

Setting that aside, when i was really focused on a $4k type wood burning pizza oven i saw the Oni and others at a lower price point. I wasn't ready to take the plunge for that big dollar amount of the big ones and so i found the Kettle Pizza for my Weber.

I bought the Kettle Pizza with the steel cover, their all in system. Stone, baskets, etc. And i LOVE it. All in (even if you have to buy a Weber Kettle grill) it is less than the Oni. If you have a Weber Kettle already it is like $500 for all accessories to really make it hum. If you dont want the pizza stone kit, or the steel top kit it is less than $300.

This thing rocks. I use it all of the time now for even quick steaks, chicken, etc. But for pizza and a real wood taste it is a home run. Start the fire with charcoal... get to temp and then throw 4-5 chunks of wood in the basket and it is at 600-800 degrees with flames rolling over the top. EXCELLENT!

The only pizzas i make on my RT are deep dish long cooks in a cast iron pan. In fact that is today's menu item! Always meat eaters! Love this too.

Sorry to hijack post... let me thank you for this one though as i just added a lodge pizza pan cast iron to my Christmas list.

Anyone out there with opinions on the Pizza Steel versus Cast Iron Pizza Pan. I think this isn't a question that takes this post off track. As it should also help Beth in her considerations?
@spartanhuntr Thanks for the info. I already have the Ooni Koda 16 oven and am just waiting for the gas conversion kit to get it hooked up. It sounds like you found a great product!

Sunday I did 5 pizzas in my Bull. 2 homemade spelt dough and 3 regular dough that I got from a local italian place. Of course the spelt, being spelt, isn't the best dough for pizzas (sorry but that's just my opinion) but all who tried them raved about them. At 475 it did take about 15 minutes which I thought was too long but they were perfect. I let the stones heat up at 475 for 20 minutes so they were piping hot but they couldn't have come out any better. I did enough that I know feel comfy with getting more experimental next time and there will be a next time!
Thanks for the help and info shared in this thread.

@BethV we did a couple of pizzas tonight so I took some pics. We put the pizza on with parchment paper, took the paper off at 4 minutes, pizza done in 13 1/2 and 14 minutes. The charred paper was the part the extended past the edge of the drip pan.
90C1AE08-2594-44CA-AF81-AD2DFD638240.jpeg
CABBA80A-4F39-4284-B9DB-DA4CC57328F1.jpeg
07A44E7C-E387-4112-BA0B-D0F9FB5341C3.jpeg

I have an Ooni Pizza Oven on order but the gas conversion kit is out of stock. I really want to make pizza while my kids and grandkids are visiting. Which leaves me to my grills. Does anyone have a good method for cooking pizza (I make my own dough) on the Bullseye or Stampede? I don't have a pizza stone but have lots of pizza pans and also pizza screens.

As always, I appreciate any advise you have!
I crank my bull up to 500 and straight to grate

Attachments

• 5E5744EC-A7A4-4523-926A-0628B9E385A4.jpeg
    5E5744EC-A7A4-4523-926A-0628B9E385A4.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 73
  • C77CAE71-9860-461A-A060-73943FA376DB.jpeg
    C77CAE71-9860-461A-A060-73943FA376DB.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 64
The pans will be fine just wanted to let you know how I did those pizzas. Full dislcosure!

I know most people love their pizza crispy, but what if you like your pizza dough soft and closer to the underdone side than the crispy side. Do you just avoid things like pizza stones that add crispness? Lower temp vs higher temp?

Right now what we do is use the oven and put it right on the metal Pizza pan. We set it to 425 and after 11 minutes or so it's done. I would love to try it on the smoker with some tips from you guys.

If you like how it's coming out now I'd try it the same way you have been, cold metal pan and the same temp. If you've never cooked pizza on a grill, you need to try and keep the lid open as little as possible or the top won't cook right.

If you like how it's coming out now I'd try it the same way you have been, cold metal pan and the same temp. If you've never cooked pizza on a grill, you need to try and keep the lid open as little as possible or the top won't cook right.
Got it. everything else the same? Will 425 in the smoker cook in similar time as 425 in the oven? Logic dictates yes, but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

I purchased a

Green Mountain Grill Wood Fired Pizza Oven​

From Amazon. It fit perfectly in the 700. Run the grill at 350 degrees and the oven stone gets to 550. Works great. The heat tube fits right over the fire pot. My friend also uses one on the RT570

@BethV have you had a chance to do pizza on one of your Rec Teqs yet? I’m always interested in how you do things.

@Waterboy thank you! What a nice compliment. I have tried it on my Bullseye and it was just okay. I bought an Ooni pizza oven which produces what "I think" is a far superior pizza. It cooks at 932F for 90 seconds. Because I have the dedicated pizza oven, I haven't put in any effort really to make pizza on my grills.

However, there are lots of people on the forum that swear by pizza on the grill. They do it all different ways and from what I've read it's fantastic.

Sorry, I'm not much help with this.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back