Pit Boss Pellets Charcoal Blend

I have 2 bags of them, thinking it would give that charcoal aroma/flavor I missed from my other smokers. Unfortunately, at least for me, I didn't notice much at all. Nothing bad, just no dramatic difference. Granted, I have been mixing them about 50-50 with my usual pellets like LJ Pecan or competition blend, so perhaps using 100% charcoal pellets might change that.

No experience with PB, but I’m absolutely not a fan of the LJ char hickory, as they produce more ash than anything else I’ve used and the uneven pellet length causes bridging in my Bullseye. Interesting to see where recteq’s Chef Greg was asked about charcoal pellets on his Lunch Break-Mediterranean Flank Steak video yesterday, and he is dead set against them. He indicated that he had a concern that they could be a safety hazard, potentially causing a pellet fire back to the hopper. His reasoning was they can ignite easer due to the char process on the pellets. He did not say if recteq/Kingsford had done testing or not to determine this, but it could explain why Kingsford does not have (at least not yet) a char pellet offering.

The PB charcoal pellets smelled great, but sadly they do not add any charcoal flavor to your food and I found they also made it difficult to maintain steady higher temps. They cooked hotter

The PB charcoal pellets smelled great, but sadly they do not add any charcoal flavor to your food and I found they also made it difficult to maintain steady higher temps. They cooked hotter
So @Vasse what kind of flavor did the PB charcoal give you? Which grill do you try them out?

I use them . I will mix them about 20% to whatever I’m using . I have found that I get a deeper smoke ring when I use them . I never run them straight. The will make your auger sound like it’s grunting when run straight.

Last edited:
I just saw these at my local Lowe's and they are several bucks less than the LJ and CP ones I have been using. Will have to get a couple bags to try out.

The LJ charhickory had a nice aroma outside of the smoker, but couldn't really notice much in terms of flavor and they seemed to be dirtier. I will stick to my charcoal grill when I want that type of flavor.

So i went to Wally World and got a bag of charcoal pellets I am not impressed
going back to the non burnt tasting pellets Had to try them before I opened my trap and give my opinion again.

Yea i bought 4 bags because they were cheap at Walmart also, and wanted some charcoal flavor. Saw a post that they can create a higher chance of a hopper fire to occur, since they are pre burnt as much as they are. Someone also said Chef Greg said on a FB video to never used them. So i took them back and bought two PB comp bags in place of them.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back