Pink butcher paper smoke permeability

TahoeMike00

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Rather than continue reading conflicting information on Amazon questions and reviews, what are your experiences with butcher paper wraps and smoke penetration?
i.e. once wrapped, will the meat absorb any more smoke? Or is it a known that the meat is going to absorb all the smoke in the first 3 hours?

BTW, I just received and assembled a RT-700. It's ready and waiting for the weekend. Just researching forums and youtube videos for methods and recipes. The brisket being on my holy grail list.

Cheers!

-Mike

Rather than continue reading conflicting information on Amazon questions and reviews, what are your experiences with butcher paper wraps and smoke penetration?
i.e. once wrapped, will the meat absorb any more smoke? Or is it a known that the meat is going to absorb all the smoke in the first 3 hours?

BTW, I just received and assembled a RT-700. It's ready and waiting for the weekend. Just researching forums and youtube videos for methods and recipes. The brisket being on my holy grail list.

Cheers!

-Mike
Hi @TahoeMike00 ,
IMHO, I have, and tried both paper and foil. Personal preference, I can't tell any difference.

The only rel difference I've noticed is with foil i have a good deal of liquid in it when I unwrap, not so with paper. I couldn't say which of the 2 comes out better. I use paper causei have a big roll of it.

Here's another... Paper doesn't get holes poked in it from the bones.

I wrapped a couple of my first briskets in foil and they tasted like pot roast to my wife and I. We much prefer wrapping in paper. I think it is because of the steaming @Motodad1776 mentioned above.

While I agree with @Greg Jones that you could finish in the oven once you’re wrapped, my poor dog would lose its mind if she could smell that meat cooking in the house. So for her sake we keep it in the smoker.

I love butcher paper for briskets. It does not allow smoke penetration though, just that it still can breathe somewhat compared to foil which allow the bark to soften up so but nothing compared to foil.

Like other have said, you don't get really any smoke penetration when a brisket gets to around 165 or so.

I also add some beef tallow to the butcher paper and brisket when wrapping in butcher paper. I highly recommend trying it for briskets.

I can't say I'm all that experienced with paper. I have used it a handful of times and have a huge roll. I find that it allows the juices to leak/evaporate out. As for steaming, that's the whole point of wrapping. Otherwise, just run it unwrapped. IMO.

I use foil, or more often I use a large disposible aluminum pan covered in foil. A pan captures the juices and rub that runs off which I use for dippin sauce and it never gets punctured. I also tend to run longer before wrapping than what I've seen a lot of people do, which builds a more robust bark.

This is what I've used. I wouldn't use any paper that isn't FDA approved.

20230323_100028.jpg

I can't say I'm all that experienced with paper. I have used it a handful of times and have a huge roll. I find that it allows the juices to leak/evaporate out. As for steaming, that's the whole point of wrapping. Otherwise, just run it unwrapped. IMO.

I use foil, or more often I use a large disposible aluminum pan covered in foil. A pan captures the juices and rub that runs off which I use for dippin sauce and it never gets punctured. I also tend to run longer before wrapping than what I've seen a lot of people do, which builds a more robust bark.

I don't believe it is about steaming, more along the lines of trapping that heat and keeping any direct heat from hitting the meat. The paper breathes just enough and with no hot spots, foil doesn't breathe at all.....but yes you can collect more juicy goodness compared to paper.

After meats hit 120F, they no longer take smoke. So that is not a reason to choice whaat to wrap with.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back