Pork Pig Candy (bacon)

Mike

Kind of good admin
Staff member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull

INGREDIENTS:
INSTRUCTIONS:
  1. Combine brown sugar, Rossarooski's Honey Rib Rub, and cayenne pepper.
  2. Lay bacon strips on a grill mat, leaving a little space between strips.
  3. Brush top sides of bacon with a light coating of maple syrup and generously sprinkle brown sugar mixture on each strip.
  4. Smoke on Rec Tec pellet grill at 225°F for 1 hour.
  5. Remove bacon from grill, flip, and give the untreated side of each piece of bacon a brush of maple syrup and sprinkle of brown sugar mixture.
  6. Return bacon to grill and smoke at 225°F for 1 hour.
  7. Cool for 30-60 minutes.
NOTE:

Omit the cayenne pepper for a less spicy option.

I have a question for anyone who has made this. Should it come out soft or a little crisp? Mine came out very flexible and was a little sticky. I pictured it (in my head) coming out a little more dry and crispy.

I think it's all proportional to how much sugar/syrup you put on them. Less is more crispy more is more flexible.
I put a crap load on mine they were sticky and flexible... (And delicious*)..haha.

Mine were sticky and flexible also. I used a lot of maple syrup. The (few) leftovers were refrigerated overnight and I carried them to work. By the time they got to room temp (pretty quick here in west Texas), they were even more delicious than when they first came off the smoker.

Thanks. They were quickly consumed, so I guess was being to picky. They firmed up a little more as the night went on. The taste was unaffected.

I used Durty Girl rub and the taste was great.

I went thru 4 lbs of bacon on the 4th and the fastest was the Pig Candy. They devoured it! I want to try it with thick cut and canadian.

I went thru 4 lbs of bacon on the 4th and the fastest was the Pig Candy. They devoured it! I want to try it with thick cut and canadian.
NU2Smoke how do you get the Military Veteran Banner? I am a retired Navy Chief

NU2Smoke how do you get the Military Veteran Banner? I am a retired Navy Chief
@Mike our awesome site administrator got your banner taken care of....Thank you for your Navy Service. I was Army but my father was Navy on PT boats in WWII. He had some wild stories to tell for sure!

View attachment 541

INGREDIENTS:
INSTRUCTIONS:
  3. Brush top sides of bacon with a light coating of maple syrup and generously sprinkle brown sugar mixture on each strip.
  5. Remove bacon from grill, flip, and give the untreated side of each piece of bacon a brush of maple syrup and sprinkle of brown sugar mixture.
NOTE:

Want something a little different use molasses instead of maple syrup and add a shot of bourbon to help thin the molasses.

Want something a little different use molasses instead of maple syrup and add a shot of bourbon to help thin the molasses.
How many shots for the chef?

There are a number of Pig Candy recipes. Mine involves Texas BBQ Rub original and Wright's thick cut bacon. Coat liberally and smoke til done. Very simple.

View attachment 541

INGREDIENTS:
INSTRUCTIONS:
NOTE:

Use same recipe but substitute molasses and a shot of bourbon for a different flavor

I used a shot of John Rich's Redneck Riviera Tennessee Whiskey mixed with honey for a great taste.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back