PID upgrade to WIFI controller?

cookingjnj

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-680
Hi all. I know a good portion of you are cooking on pits that came with the wifi controller pre-installed at the time of delivery. When I purchased my 680, the wifi controller was not yet an option, mine has the older digital PID style controller. Of course, when RT made this controller available, for those with the old style controller to upgrade, I jumped at the chance at not only the upgrade, but the grate pricing offered at the time. Jump forward almost a year, and you can see by the attached picture, I still have not installed it. Been using my 680 quite a bit since I got the new controller (sept 2018), but have not installed yet. Was waiting for the outside temps to cool down to make install easier, then told myself had to wait until it got warmer because now it was too cold out to install it. Mind games and laziness means the controller stayed in the box. Pulled it out this afternoon, and thinking about adding the external antenna system Mike started an earlier thread about, before installing the new controller on my 680.

My question to the team.... who out there was in my situation and upgraded the old controller to the wifi controller on your RT? Before even discussing the wifi aspects, did you find any different cooking characteristics (temps, temp variations, smoke levels etc.) once you installed the new unit. Does it provide extreme smoke at lower temps, and is it as easy to achieve those temps and smoke levels like the old controller? I am so used to the pit as it fires now, don't want to take any steps back....hahaha. I generally use my 680 for low and slow cooks and medium heat cooks. I really don't do any high heat cooks with the RT. The current controller is pretty spot on performing what I need it to perform. If the wifi works as advertised, it would really be grate to have the wifi ability for the remote cooks if I am not around the pit and need to make temp changes.

I am pretty sure I know the answer to my query, but wanted to make sure, because you know it is such a difficult task to remove two screws again if I change and then want to change back.

Thanks
Joe

RT Controller.JPG

I cannot tell you about a difference between the two but I can say that my grill runs perfectly with the new controller. Also having the wi-fi to be able to be sitting inside or go to the store and still monitor everything is just awesome. I have had it to where I wanted to smoke something and I was at work so I had my wife go outside and remove the cover then turn it on so it would be getting to temp while I was driving home.
Make the change and I guarantee you will not go back!!!

Yeah, I know, that is what I keep telling myself too. I guess was just looking for any additional info others might have. Did you do any mods for the antenna?

Yeah, I know, that is what I keep telling myself too. I guess was just looking for any additional info others might have. Did you do any mods for the antenna?
I didn't have to since I put a wireless access point outside for my whole back yard. I wanted internet not just for the grill but for all of my devices...laptops...tv receivers ect.
I got a dual band router...a cheap one...it was like 38 bucks....ran a hard wire from my modem to it and use the 2.5 for the Grill and the 5 for all of my other devices. I would try it before making the upgrade...you may find you don't need it.

Yeah if you can hold your phone literally directly under the controller and get good 2.4 signal, the wireless of the grill should be good with signal strength.

@cookingjnj the older Rec Tec controller was and still is a tank. They work and work great and know a couple people that have the 680 and have no plans on buying the new controller as they are perfectly happy with what they have.

When I bought my Bull it came with the new controller and I'm super impressed with it. It seems from what I've heard from others that have made the switch is that the new controller is just as good as the old and in some cases, better. Most notably for the added convenience of WiFi.

While the Rec Tec WiFi antenna mod is something to think about, it will really all depend on your wifi setup to determine if it's even needed.

Thanks all. Appreciate the feedback as always. I think you all have convinced me to make the change, and will do so hopefully this week. I will probably do it without the antenna mod to see what my signal is like and go from there. I am looking forward to the wifi feature and the benefits of remote control of the pit.

Got a mini pci to rp-sma female pigtail and antenna off amazon. Had to drill a hole one the bottom if the controller housing, but have great connectivity.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back