charlesrshell

Pellet Grill Rookie
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
  2. Bullseye
I know that the PID is the control panel and the RTD is the grill's temp probe but what do the letters stand for? Just curious.

proportional–integral–derivative controller (PID controller or three-term controller
Resistance thermometers, also called resistance temperature detectors (RTDs),

proportional–integral–derivative controller (PID controller or three-term controller
Resistance thermometers, also called resistance temperature detectors (RTDs),
Thanks @tomb. No wonder I couldn't figure it out! LOL

In my past life I wrote control code for a major manufacturer. The PID is a type of loop control. It uses inputs, outputs, and setpoints to produce a mechanical result.
P.I.D. is the controller's controlling characteristics. Too fast it overshoots, too slow it droops or undershoots.
Some loops can be self adjusting as it gains history.
On our grills have input from the RTD sensor and a set point we set. The output is the auger and likely a loop for the fan exist as well. Some loops can be cascading, meaning one loop outputs to another loops input.
In the business, we always called it loop control. I made a good living understanding everything from noise level control(music industry), room pressure control (hospital business), and temperature control(process and creature comfort).
The augar, I think, is binary(on or off). That is why we adjust the feed rate. Or it is just called feed rate and we are speeding up or slowing the loop.
Wow....been a while since I wrote so much technical stuff. Towards the end of my work history I mentored and had peeps that went out and made me look good.
I hope this helps........My children zone out when I talk work....

In my past life I wrote control code for a major manufacturer. The PID is a type of loop control. It uses inputs, outputs, and setpoints to produce a mechanical result.
P.I.D. is the controller's controlling characteristics. Too fast it overshoots, too slow it droops or undershoots.
Some loops can be self adjusting as it gains history.
On our grills have input from the RTD sensor and a set point we set. The output is the auger and likely a loop for the fan exist as well. Some loops can be cascading, meaning one loop outputs to another loops input.
In the business, we always called it loop control. I made a good living understanding everything from noise level control(music industry), room pressure control (hospital business), and temperature control(process and creature comfort).
The augar, I think, is binary(on or off). That is why we adjust the feed rate. Or it is just called feed rate and we are speeding up or slowing the loop.
Wow....been a while since I wrote so much technical stuff. Towards the end of my work history I mentored and had peeps that went out and made me look good.
I hope this helps........My children zone out when I talk work....
Thanks @DFB.

Reactions: DFB
Sorry if this is not the thread to ask, but how is pid better than the older I’ll call it analogue control? Is it worth an upgrade? (Not that I need an excuse to buy a new grill - bullseye is my goal)

Is it worth an upgrade?
An analog vs. digital control is like a light with a dimmer vs. a normal type of snap switch.
More precise control. Both still light the room. I enjoy the phone app. Analog control via software is a bunch of on off switching to maintain the desired output.
Another example is your home a/c. Most are either on or off to maintain a room temp set point.
If your old system works at maintaining temp, hard to justify a change, and a manufacturer has a hard time not offering both.
Hope this helps.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back