• Parsley
  • 2 Tbsps of Paprika
  • 1Kg of Bomba Rice (100g per person)
  • A Pinch of Saffron
  • Rosemary
  • Thyme
  • Bay leaf
  • 3 Squids in rings (or 450g)
  • 1 Cuttlefish clean, and diced (about 400g)
  • Cuttlefish spleen (salsa)
  • 10 king prawns
  • 10 crayfish
  • 20 mussels
  • 2L Fish stock (every 100g of rice, 200ml of stock)
  • Salt

For fish stock:
  • Monkfish head
  • Prawn/crayfish/lobster/crawfish head
  • Mussels/clams
  • Leek
  • Onion
  • Parsley
  • Garlic
  • Bay leaf
  • Thyme
  • Black pepper (whole)
  • 1/4 baguete
  • Simmer for about 3 hours in water and strain.

Directions:
In a pan, add the mussels (already cleaned) cover with a lid and cook it on medium heat until they open up. (about 3 to 5 minutes) Drain the mussels, and add the water in the fish stock.
In a pan, add the mussels (already cleaned) cover with a lid and cook it on medium heat until they open up. (about 3 to 5 minutes) Drain the mussels, and add the water in the fish stock.

Boil the tomatoes for 3 minutes, drain and let it cool down, after that remove the skins with your hands and roughly chop them.

Dice the green and the red peppers.

With the pan still cold, rub half raw garlic all around the surface of the pan.

Heat the pan (medium heat) and add some olive oil, fry the king prawns for about 5 minutes, turn it halfway through, remove it once is ready and keep aside, then do the same with the crayfish.

Lower the heat and fry the thyme and rosemary for about 2 minutes to infuse the oil, remove from the pan. (keep some for decoration for later if you want)

After that add some more olive oil if necessary, put the heat back to medium and add the squid and cuttlefish, cook it for about 2 minutes then remove it from the pan and keep it aside.

For the "sofrito":

Add peppers, garlic and paprika, after frying it for 1-2 minutes add the tomatoes and the “salsa” from the cuttlefish spleen.

Then put the squids and cuttlefish back in the pan, add a pinch of saffron and the rice, fry everything for about 3 minutes.

Add the fish stock and 2 tsp of salt.

Stir occasionally until the rice is cooked (about 15 min), decorate your paella with mussels, prawns and crayfish, turn off the heat and cover the pan for 5 to 10 minutes, you can add some lemons after that as well if you want.

Then serve and enjoy!

Attachments

• 0BB07177-825B-4C69-BCEB-D00CD33E1FF9.jpeg
    0BB07177-825B-4C69-BCEB-D00CD33E1FF9.jpeg
    353.7 KB · Views: 121
I live in Michigan. There are a couple local fish markets that will import “unusual” seafood. Metro Detroit area offers many things.

Something I would gladly try - but I'm all out of cuttlefish spleen and heads of monkfish... 😋

In all honesty I'd eat it. A good paella is not something I could find here. And that picture looks amazing! I bet that stock puts it over the top with a 3h simmer, the aromatics, and the shellfish. Nice work!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back