RT-1250 Pellets/wood on the heat deflector?

timrob

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-1250
I've got my rt-1250 order in.

When I saw one of the videos posted on this site, the presenter was stating that "they even say you can put wood chips or pellets on the heat deflector to get some more smoke." I am not 100% sold on this idea, so I'm curious if others in here think that's a good idea, or if I should just get a smoke tube?

@timrob congrats on the purchase of your new RecTeq 1250!

As for adding wood chips, you could do that. In fact I have been given some wood chunks made from old bourbon barrels and they work great in my RT-700.

It can be done, all you need is a steady heat source for the wood/pellets to smoke/smolder. It is going to create the same ash as what comes out of the burn pot. To me it will be a pain in the butt taking the grates and the grease pan out every time I want to smoke something.

I've got my rt-1250 order in.

When I saw one of the videos posted on this site, the presenter was stating that "they even say you can put wood chips or pellets on the heat deflector to get some more smoke." I am not 100% sold on this idea, so I'm curious if others in here think that's a good idea, or if I should just get a smoke tube?
I love my smoke tube.

You can do this. I've done this on my 700. Though I mostly use a smoke tube or use my smokedaddy magnum pig cold smoker. There is also the aluminum meat loaf trap in front of the firepot with wood chips trick also.

You can do this. I've done this on my 700. Though I mostly use a smoke tube or use my smokedaddy magnum pig cold smoker. There is also the aluminum meat loaf trap in front of the firepot with wood chips trick also.
Is the Magnum PIG cold smoke generator worth the install in your opinion?

Yes and No. As far as being effective, yes, it works well. But kind of defeats the purpose of a pellet grill as far as set it and forget it. If I want something to have some charcoal flavor and a specific wood type, then I use it. Like when I make smoked chicken thighs and legs, i will use pecan wood with charcoal in it.

Lately though, I just use a smoke tube with wood chips mixed in with the pellets which works well for 3 to 4 hours.

The magnum lasts maybe an hour before I need to add more fuel. I do have mine on the smoke stack side so I have to run the pump around 75% to make sure the smoke gets pushed in far enough to create a reverse flow type of deal. I didn't want to do any kind of extension or whatever on the controller side as you won't want that directly under the controller. But if someone did do that(I've seen plenty do it), you could absolutely turn the pump down and get more time.

So in conclusion, I am glad I got it and don't regret drilling a hole in the grill. But I can't say I use it a ton. When I use it, I know I have to devote my time to watching the grill which sometimes I can, sometimes can't. And while the results from a smoke tube with pellets and wood chips aren't as good, it does do a good job for a $15 smoke tube.

I did have the (still have it) heavy d heat diffuser which I do not like as much as the cold smoker. I had issues with temp swings and then tried wrapping the wood chunks in the diffuser aluminum foil and poked holes in it but didn't like the results. The cold smoker is WAY better in my opinion.

Oddly enough, one of the questions RT asked when I reported my deflector getting more warped was whether I put pellets/chips on top of it. With a hint that doing so could contribute to warping. (I tend to doubt that, but I use a tube so didn't really matter...)

Oddly enough, one of the questions RT asked when I reported my deflector getting more warped was whether I put pellets/chips on top of it. With a hint that doing so could contribute to warping. (I tend to doubt that, but I use a tube so didn't really matter...)

That's strange. I swear I have seen one of their videos where Jody specifically mentions doing that. Whatever heat the chips or pellets on the top of the deflector would produce would be much less than what is going on under the deflector.

So...if RT is claiming using chips on top of the deflector could cause warping, I'm calling 🐄💩

That's strange. I swear I have seen one of their videos where Jody specifically mentions doing that. Whatever heat the chips or pellets on the top of the deflector would produce would be much less than what is going on under the deflector.

So...if RT is claiming using chips on top of the deflector could cause warping, I'm calling 🐄💩
I hear you. The question felt somewhere between wondering out loud and trying to not volunteer to replace my deflector. No biggie.

Has anyone tried small chunks of regular lump charcoal in their smoke tubes? I wonder if the tube, once lit, would take off in a pure blaze as opposed to smolder like the pellets do.
No, I'm not about to put charcoal in my smoke tube. Seems counter productive to me.

I use small chunks of wood around the deflector on my 380 for added smoke when I want it, works great. A small amount of white ash on the deflector when finished, not a problem. I run it riot mode after each cook to turn everything to ash for easy cleaning.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back