Pellets wont stay lit in smoker tube?

fish head

Grill(s) owned
  1. RT-300
I have always used The Ultimate blend pellets and sometimes the Premium blend. I use my stainless smoking tube and fill with pellets to add a little extra smoke. My pellets aren't staying lit in the tube?
This happened last year and I though it was the batch of pellets - now I've tried with multiple bags of ultimate blend - still wont stay lit?
Any thoughts? new formulation? What else can I put in the tube for extra smoke? Thanks!

I have always used The Ultimate blend pellets and sometimes the Premium blend. I use my stainless smoking tube and fill with pellets to add a little extra smoke. My pellets aren't staying lit in the tube?
This happened last year and I though it was the batch of pellets - now I've tried with multiple bags of ultimate blend - still wont stay lit?
Any thoughts? new formulation? What else can I put in the tube for extra smoke? Thanks!
Put a small amount of pellets in the microwave to remove the moisture. Don't get carried away.

Are you letting your smoke tube stay flaming long enough? One time I tried to rush the smoke tube because I was on a tight timeline and I had trouble keeping it lit. I usually let it flame for 10 - 15 minutes.

Similar to Waterboy above. I light with a torch until it's burning well then let it burn for maybe 10 minutes before blowing it out and moving it to the smoker.

I let mine burn for the full 10 minutes. (Recommended in the instructions) I do start it upright for the first 5 minutes then lay it flat for the last 5. I will take my torch and re-fire them to assure the pellets will smoke. I get between 3.5 to 4hrs out of a full smoke tube. The 12” model. FYI

I have found when I fill the tube and fire up the torch and burn from the sides of the at the top of the tube it takes a while for the pellets to start burning. I get a 3 or 4 inch flame coming out of the top. Then I burn some more. Almost as if I'm going to burn all the pellets up. Then I let it flame for10 minutes. I mean the stainless tube get cherry red. Then I lay it down with some thongs on the grill grates. I get 3 to 4 hours of smoke.

I tried lighting the pellet tube with a long lighter, but could rarely get the pellets burning well enough to stay lit. Switched to a simple propane torch from Lowe’s and never again had a problem.
BTW… I mix some chips in with my pellets (in the tube). Great smoke!

Last edited:
I light my smoke tube with a propane torch for about a minute or so, until I see some coals glowing in there, then let it flame for about 30 seconds and blow it out. Never had it quit. Get a trigger ignition propane torch and make sure your pellets are reasonably dry.

I keep my pellets in a sealed bag in my shop kitchen cabinet and have to microwave them to keep them lit in my amazen tray. But we live in a really humid area. I light with a small torch snd make sure they’re burning hot but still have to microwave them or they’ll fizzle out.

Thanks for all the info - I will try "nuking" the pellets and get a larger torch - I've been using a torch lighter - maybe time for a propane torch. I Did ribs and chicken over the weekend - with no smoke tube...but still had great smoke.

You gotta flame them babies. Before I plug in the grill, clean it, arrange it, grab the meat, finish my coffee, I take the torch to the pellets.

It’s gotta flame the whole time for me until right before I start cooking. 10-20 minutes.

Also, high temperature can snuff it out. Not enough oxygen.

Pro tip: When the tube is 1/4 of the way burnt down, fill it back up with pellets. You can keep the smoke going 3 4 hours more.

Propane torch. The blue welders one. Like 2 5 bucks at depot.

You gotta flame them babies. Before I plug in the grill, clean it, arrange it, grab the meat, finish my coffee, I take the torch to the pellets.

This. I tried with a lighter one nice and failed miserably. Gotta use a torch and light those babies on fire.

A heat gun has worked much better and quicker than a propane torch. The combo of heat and blowing air help the pellets smoke longer. I let it smoke about 5 mins before putting in smoker. Lately, I have added a couple handful of wood chips to the smoke tube pellets and have liked the extra flavor it gives.

A heat gun has worked much better and quicker than a propane torch. The combo of heat and blowing air help the pellets smoke longer. I let it smoke about 5 mins before putting in smoker. Lately, I have added a couple handful of wood chips to the smoke tube pellets and have liked the extra flavor it gives.
Good idea. I’ll give that a try sometime.

It’s gotta flame the whole time for me until right before I start cooking. 10-20 minutes.

Also, high temperature can snuff it out. Not enough oxygen.

Pro tip: When the tube is 1/4 of the way burnt down, fill it back up with pellets. You can keep the smoke going 3 4 hours more.

You can’t send the torch on top of the pellets. Give the flame a couple of inches because the gas coming out of the torch is cold. It needs some oxygen to do it’s job

Also I keep mine by the air hole, left side for the Temp probes, seems to burn better...
Not a fan of that. I first put my tube on the left, by the probe. It messed with the solid temp within the box. I move mine to the far end, away from the probe. the temp has been on point with a secondary probe check.

Not a fan of that. I first put my tube on the left, by the probe. It messed with the solid temp within the box. I move mine to the far end, away from the probe. the temp has been on point with a secondary probe check.
Good idea. I’ll give that a try sometime.
Do you get the same amount of time out of your smoke tube adding some chips in the mix?

I put mine across the back of the grate.

I have found when I fill the tube and fire up the torch and burn from the sides of the at the top of the tube it takes a while for the pellets to start burning. I get a 3 or 4 inch flame coming out of the top. Then I burn some more. Almost as if I'm going to burn all the pellets up. Then I let it flame for10 minutes. I mean the stainless tube get cherry red. Then I lay it down with some thongs on the grill grates. I get 3 to 4 hours of smoke.

The thongs have me puzzled.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back