Stampede Pellets differences

ken g

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. Stampede
I decided to change fuel from the Rec Tec blend that came with my smoker to Lumberjack Apple Blend for today's cook. My RT590 was running 245 degrees in low smoke mode with the Lumberjack pellets. After messing with it for a while, it dawned on me that different pellet brands may have different BTU output. I adjusted down the minimum auger feed rate and bingo it is spot on target now. I am assuming one must check this item when switching fuel to get to the proper feed rate for the fuel?

@ken g, I personally haven't had any issues with the Lumberjack pellets I've used (comp blend). That said, yes some brands of pellets will burn differently so some minor adjustments may be needed.

That’s a great point....it would never even have dawned on me that you would have to check that. Thank you for the info.

That's interesting. I would have thought it would affect the high temp side more than low. But that's good info to keep around.

Due to the summer temps out here in Hell Annex., I've kept my feed rate at 3.0 for all my cooking, since I'm generally running it at 225° or lower.

Mine has worked perfect at the factory default of 65 with the RT pellets of red oak, white oak and hickory blend. The only variation is the pellets. Ambient air temp is about same as last week when I used the RT pellets. When I jacked the temp to crisp up the chicken skin, I started getting some smoke back feeding into the pellet hopper too after I shut it off.

My package is coming today and those pellets are the ones I ended up buying for my grill from a local store.

So you are saying to adjust the feed rate to lower for those? I assume the fact that you had to lower also indicates that these are better as it takes fewer to obtain the same temp?

Overall are you liking those pellets?

Lumberjack pellets being 100% hardwood and not filler they will definitely burn alot different. Never used Rec Tec brand so cant speak on them. Traeger brand is trash.

When switching pellets it is probably wise to verify the temp differences are not significant when you switch pellets. Mine was approximately 50+ degrees hotter on the Lo Setting. It was running at 245 in Lo setting. Something to be mindful of if your temps refuse to drop when you lower the temp on the controller. This is first cook I have used the Lumberjack pellets. Did not get alot of smoke from them since running so hot. So the jury is still out.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CRG
Back