Pellets choice

As a test, I recommend you try individually smoking some chicken using mesquite, cherry, hickory, and apple, all individually. Most people can tell those apart.
I agreed above with @Bmc.ret that I could tell the difference with mesquite and hickory, but the only way I could tell if I was using cherry is by the color of the food. I‘ve only seen apple pellets in a blend, and while I’ve not tried an apple blend, I’ve never been able to tell the difference between any other blended pellets.

Saw the Pit Boss Comp blend at my local BJ’s today for $10 per 20lb bag.
That’s a great price, will pick some up the next time and check them out.

Attachments

• 13C89D2C-998C-4299-8AAB-AB6833304BFD.png
    13C89D2C-998C-4299-8AAB-AB6833304BFD.png
    677.9 KB · Views: 66
Saw the Pit Boss Comp blend at my local BJ’s today for $10 per 20lb bag.
That’s a great price, will pick some up the next time and check them out.
Check their coupons, I think they had a $2 discount a while back.

Also keep in mind Lowes usually has the 40# bags for $16.99 (higher price than last year)

They may be a good price, but I've been disappointed with the subtleness of their smoke flavor. Similar experience with the Traeger brand. Plus lots of saw dust in the past package of PitBoss Brand, which I realize can be due to stockboy's throwing the bags around in the store. Lately I've been using Lumberjack and Bear Mountain and those seem noticeably much better.

I did a brisket last night through this morning using bear mountain Oak. No issues with the pellets, they burn well, smoke was fine, taste was on point.

I was shooting for 203F, but Brisket locked at 197F (wouldn't go any higher), so I pulled it, FTC'd for 2.5 hours to rest. Family really enjoyed it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back