Pellets Burning Back through Auger

When I do a 400 deg. cook I notice the pellets dropped into the fire pot for next cook and pellets in the end of the auger are burned. If I do nothing, the next cook will just take a few minutes longer to start. I have also vacuumed the burnt pellets and put the 590 in test mode to run the auger until fresh pellets come out.

Did you clean out the auger? Not that I've had your issue, just something to try that I didn't see mentioned.

Fwiw, I vac the pot about every 10 hrs of use which is 1 or 2 cooks.

Is your igniter too far back in the tube. Check to make sure it is flush with the opening into the fire pot. If it is too far back it could be causing the fire by heating that area instead of the fire pot

Pellets too dry soak in water for 1/2 hr before use..

Just kidding please don't do that..

I would turn down to smoke for a bit before shutting down if that were happening consistently to mine. I don't take it over 250 much but when I do I try to stage the cool down before shutdown. Where there is heat.. there is fire. It's just physics and there is no way to block the pellets in this design.
I don’t know why but Recteq recommends just shutting it off at any temp. No cool down.

I’ve had the burn back happen several times. It seems when the fire pot fills up the pellets are sitting higher and catch the unburnt ones. Solutions have been to lower the temperature before shutting down and keeping the ash cleaned out like every three burns.

I wish there was a manual auger advance or am I missing that somewhere? Seems that would help clear out some pellets from burning. The ash seems to build up in this brand more than others. I’ve used different pellets to see if there is a difference.

Some type of fire shutter on the end of the auger pipe might help stop burn back from the cup. (Retired Fire Inspector thinking there)

Is your igniter too far back in the tube. Check to make sure it is flush with the opening into the fire pot. If it is too far back it could be causing the fire by heating that area instead of the fire pot
AFAIK, the igniter only comes on at startup to get the pellets going, then turns off and never comes on again until the next cook. Maybe I'm wrong?

I don’t know why but Recteq recommends just shutting it off at any temp. No cool down.
I grill steaks and burgers occasionally and when I'm through I simply turn it off. I've not had any problems. I do keep it clean. 590.

AFAIK, the igniter only comes on at startup to get the pellets going, then turns off and never comes on again until the next cook. Maybe I'm wrong?
That is correct. recteq has in the past published the amp draw for the grills, and has given a number for how many additional amps they draw at startup.

I did a 350 cook yesterday and today saw the pellets in the last inch or so of the auger were burned.

I do a stage down too when I am done with my Bullseye. You would think the controller could be programed to stage down heating automatically when you turn the switch off.
As a side note, I've only had this happen once and I had the pellet bin lid unlatched. I latched it and that seemed to stop the burn back. It might be worth a try :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back