Pellet Storage

Buckeye1

Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
  2. Bullseye
When storing pellets in 5 gallon pails, do they need to be food grade pails?

I would not think so, I'm guessing the bag they come in is not food grade. Look at the bucket and see if it seals better because it is food grade. that would be a good deciding factor.

put mine in wine juice buckets, I'm sure that they are food grade.just put duct tape over the vent

I've always just used the ones from Lowes or Home Depot with their logos on them, with snap on lids or gamma rings added. No idea if the buckets are food grade or not. I doubt they need to be, as long as the buckets are clean, dry, don't harbor any odors, and weren't previously used for something nasty/caustic/potentially harmful.

I put the bags in a new old school metal trash can with a lid. Had to seal the spot where the handle attaches to the lid to keep out rain. So far so good, and doesn't look too bad. :)(y)

Thanks everyone. I was able to get 2 Gamma lids on sale at the fleet Farm store. They were out of buckets due to the sale.

Cheap, effective, & functional.

19AC5447-8AC5-4339-AAFC-4DCC72E5A446.jpeg

Since I buy several hundred lbs at on time all mine is just in the original bags. I filter and blend just what I plan to use. Extra is stored in Lowe’s buckets with gamma lids.

Hey Vicdaddy, I like the looks of that container, can you provide brand and where you got it, Thanks.

How many of you filter out your pellets before pouring into your grill? I haven't been, but the bottom of the bags are pretty bad. I just use my hand to sift out the dust when I get to the bottom.

As mentioned I have the container vicdaddy pictured purchased at Petco. Just be careful. First time I used it made a rookie mistake. Did not make sure the lid was secured tightly. Opened the pour vent tipped to fill the hopper.....I guess you know what came next. Too much fun sweeping pellets off the deck....hahaha.

I keep mine in the original bags, but I bulk order in a group buy. I order a quarter-ton at a time (520 lbs.) from BBQPelletsOnline.com. The bags have some factory holes in them to allow ventilation. Pellets contain 10% moisture. I wouldn't want to store them in a tight container and have them to become molded over time. I stack my bags on top of an old shower curtain so they don't draw moisture up from the concrete. They'll go at least two years stored like that so far with no breakdown. I order all Lumberjack 100% wood varieties for the most intense smoke flavors. More ash but worth it as the bark is included for best flavor and smoke. I wished RTQ pellets were as competitive with pricing as they are good pellets, but no one beats a group buy, bulk order for top tier pellets.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back