Pellet observation

fullhouse32

Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
I was changing pellets this morning for my tri-tip. I used my bucket head vacuum.
I was going from Traeger to Lumberjack.
And my bucket head Vacuum hose kept clogging.

I’m sure Everyone is already aware of this and I’m late to the party.

The Traeger pellet is quite a bit larger than the LJ pellets.
The other day when I was cooking my ribeye, (with Traeger pellets) I continually kept hearing the auger grind the pellets making extra noise.
With my old Traeger and CampChef I always heard that noise, but I never thought anything of it.
And for the record this is my first time to use LJ pellets and I am a huge fan now.
The auger did not make any grinding noise. And the smoke stayed consistent.

The better the pellet the better the smoke 💨

Traeger on the left Lumberjack on the right

Attachments

• 798293E8-20E2-498F-8637-B522864D2C08.jpeg
    798293E8-20E2-498F-8637-B522864D2C08.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 238
I noticed the same thing. I think the longer Traeger pellets cause temperature spikes when the pit is set at low temperatures. That’s just antidotal evidence from me.

I had the temp swings right off the bat when I got mine and was using treager pellets I had left over from my treager use. RT sent me a 40 lb bag of theirs and the problem went away. On the recommendation of our son, who has a bull, I use Pit Boss and have had no problems.

I had the temp swings right off the bat when I got mine and was using treager pellets I had left over from my treager use. RT sent me a 40 lb bag of theirs and the problem went away. On the recommendation of our son, who has a bull, I use Pit Boss and have had no problems.
Pit Boss is one of my favorites too (y)

I have tryed most of the name brand pellets and stick with lumberjack and pit boss now.
never an issue with either.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back