RHEINLEIN

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. Stampede
  3. Patio Legend 410
  4. RT-300
I have used multiple brands and types of pellets on my Bull. Always consistent for the most part. The last bag of pellets purchased was a 40# PIT BOSS competition.
The time for the grill to heat up greatly changed. 45 minutes plus to get up to an average cook temp. I thought it was the cold weather but now temps have warmed I still have the issue. I will switch back to lumberjack this weekend which should tell the tale but I wanted to reach out to see if any users out there have experienced issues with these particular pellets?

As always I appreciate the feedback-

I am using the same and have not noticed any real issues.. I got it just under 500 in 24 outdoor windy temps but it did take an hour for that. Not sure what you consider normal/average.. 350, 300, 275, 250? Should not take 45 min unless you are going for upper digits. Worth a try with pellets regardless.

Every pellet brand out there can have issues like this, mainly it's caused by moisture in the pellets, improper handling and poor storage areas before or after you purchased them.

Last edited:
I cooked a brisket flat on Thursday with Pit Boss Comp pellets and no problem. I was only going to temps of 225 - 235 and the cook went well. I put another brisket flat on this morning with the same pellets. No issue getting to temp (only up to 225) and the cook is going well. Getting warmer here in NJ so ambient temps both mornings was around 45. I ran out of my cookingpellets.com stash and need to order more from my somewhat local supplier. Otherwise I pick up the Pit Boss Comp pellets at the local Lowes.

I have used multiple brands and types of pellets on my Bull. Always consistent for the most part. The last bag of pellets purchased was a 40# PIT BOSS competition.
The time for the grill to heat up greatly changed. 45 minutes plus to get up to an average cook temp. I thought it was the cold weather but now temps have warmed I still have the issue. I will switch back to lumberjack this weekend which should tell the tale but I wanted to reach out to see if any users out there have experienced issues with these particular pellets?

As always I appreciate the feedback-

To follow up, I finished the existing bag of pellets in question (PB) . I grabbed a bag of troeger apple wood pellets for a trial on a slab of ribs. Heat rise issue has returned to normal.

Seems it was that particular bag of PB that was the issue.

The ribs were so darn delicious and with such clean smoke flavor.
At more than twice the price of other brands of pellets, I have decided to suck it up for a while and continue using these pellets as long as I get these results.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back