Pellet brand

What brand of pellets works best for everyone? I only see 200 lbs orders available on the website. Seems crazy to buy that much at a time
Find a pellet grill friend in your area and split the order. Lumberjack is a brand I prefer for the price & flavors available.

I have and have used LJ's competition blend, also used their apple. Honestly, spaced a few weeks apart I can't tell one from the other without looking at the bag. I have some or their pecan too but have yet to try it. I can tell charcoal from pellet, but not between pellet type as yet, maybe that will change as I get more experience.

I noticed some America's Choice pellets at the feed store I get the LJ at, anyone tried it?

I’m new, so this may be a worn out question, but what are the negatives on pit boss pellets? I’m only a few smokes in ......and there’s dust in the bag, but if u can separate it......are there other negatives? They’re among the cheapest and wifey available. Thx

I’m new, so this may be a worn out question, but what are the negatives on pit boss pellets? I’m only a few smokes in ......and there’s dust in the bag, but if u can separate it......are there other negatives? They’re among the cheapest and wifey available. Thx
**widely, that is

It's hard to beat LJ for cost. They are $9/bag at the Farm & Fleet by my office.

Anxious to try out the Char Hickory on my next hopper refill to see if it adds some of that charcoal flavor and to see if it ashes more than usual.

I just purchased some B&B pellets and some Jack Daniels All Natural Whiskey charcoal pellets. I have not used either yet.
Has anyone tried them?

It's hard to beat LJ for cost. They are $9/bag at the Farm & Fleet by my office.

Anxious to try out the Char Hickory on my next hopper refill to see if it adds some of that charcoal flavor and to see if it ashes more than usual.
Let us know how that goes. I miss the charcoal flavors but not sure pellets are going to give the flavors I’m looking for.

So far I've tried the Traeger (I know) 100% Hickory (1st bag I got/20 lbs.) and they were just okay. Then I bought a singe 40lb. bag of the Rec Tec/q Ultimate Blend from Amazon and they were pretty good. Had a decent flavor and produced some good smoke. Now I'm working on a bag of the Cooking Pellets Perfect Mix and I'm liking them a lot flavor/smoke wise, but they do burn pretty quick. Basically, it's time to buy more. :D

That said, I'm really wanting to try out the BBQr’s Delight, which are rated on top of the lists that I've seen so far, so I'm pretty sure that I'll get some of those next. I really want to try the lumber Jack as well, so I'll have to post back with my impressions of those as well.
Well...this didn't happen. Lol

I was able to take advantage of the price match deal (Dick's Sporting Goods) on the Lumber Jack pellets and was able to snag up 120lbs for $58! :D

2 - Competition Blend
2 - 100% Pecan
1 - 100% Oak (to mix with the pecan)
1 - Mesquite Blend

And I also ordered up some (3) food grade buckets & scew-on sealed lid kits for storage. It feels like Cristmas in August! :p

speaking of on sale, the local tractor supply has pit boss competition blend on sale for 19.99. I was thinking of picking up some of those. anyone have any experience with them?

speaking of on sale, the local tractor supply has pit boss competition blend on sale for 19.99. I was thinking of picking up some of those. anyone have any experience with them?

I have used the PitBoss pellets, no complaints on my end. I have found them fairly low cost, as low as 14.99/40lbs. I have used comp blend and hickory.

I think that would be for 20lb bags though? or is it 40lb? The Pitt Boss competition blend bags at tractor supply were 40lb bags for 19.99.
You can get PitBoss pellets regularly for 15 for 40lbs. Just be careful at Walmart, every time I have looked, their bags were beat up and lots of saw dust. The 20lb bags are usually 10-12.

Just got the Lumber Jack 100% Pecan (40lbs) & 100% Oak (20lbs) in today and mixed them up in the new storage buckets I purchased. Was able to get all but about 5lbs of the pecan into 2 of the 5gal buckets, so I'll probably mix in the remainder once I'm able to use up some of this current mix. I still have a couple of bags of the competition blend and a bag of mesquite blend being delivered tomorrow, so it looks like I have some decisions to make as far as which ones to use first. ;)

I still have some of the Cooking Pellet Perfect Mix left as well, so aas soon as I burn those off I'll get started on some of these LJ's. :D

Also, I'm really liking the buckets that I purchased. Here are the links to buckets and lids that I got if anyone is interested:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Encore-Plastics-5-Gallon-General-Bucket/1000309157
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Encore-Plastics-12-in-White-Plastic-Bucket-Lid/50094688

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back