Bull Pellet ash on my cook

ciscokid

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
So I have a new Bull and I so far I love it, but last night I tried an overnight cook with a Brisket and a couple of shoulders. Before I started I shop vac'd out the minimal ash from the 4 small cooks I have used it for thus far. I didn't notice anything in the half way pull and wrap, but this morning the butcher paper and grill grates had a light coating of pellet ash on them. Again both the shoulders and Brisket were wrapped mid cook, but I am concerned about ash forming bark that maybe I missed in the middle of the night. Anyone else having this issue on longer cooks. The pellets I used were the ultimate mix that I got from Rec Tec with pellet bundle. Thoughts?

Thanks for all the responses!

Last edited:
Unfortunately, it's a characteristic of all pellet grills. Generally, it's pretty light and doesn't affect flavor. I see it on all the cooks I do. But once the meat is either spritzed/basted or moisture comes to the surface, it isn't obvious.

Any ash light enough for the draft to carry up will go there. Simple matter of physics. If ash bothers some they better stick to the oven or keep the meat wrapped thru the whole cook.

Cook some more fatty foods like chicken legs at higher temps. The seasoning build up on the inside of the grill will help catch some of that ash.

Rec Teq also recommends to toss any ash when you clean out the pot into the bottom of the grill. Like @orangebiker said it's supposed to help catch ash too.

So I have a new Bull and I so far I love it, but last night I tried an overnight cook with a Brisket and a couple of shoulders. Before I started I shop vac'd out the minimal ash from the 4 small cooks I have used it for thus far. I didn't notice anything in the half way pull and wrap, but this morning the butcher paper and grill grates had a light coating of pellet ash on them. Again both the shoulders and Brisket were wrapped mid cook, but I am concerned about ash forming bark that maybe I missed in the middle of the night. Anyone else having this issue on longer cooks. The pellets I used were the ultimate mix that I got from Rec Tec with pellet bundle. Thoughts?

Thanks for all the responses!
That bothered me at first too but then I thought about it. I came to the conclusion that a light coat of wood ash is probably better than the carcinogens from charcoal and lighter fluid and if I used a stick burner It would probably be worse and I would have to feed the fire all night. Everything in life has trade-offs so I am willing to accept a little bit of ash. Also, I am going to try to leave some ash in the bottom of the grill to see if that helps

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WKMCD
Back