Beef Packer Brisket recipe

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
Rub for brisket:
1/2 cup kosher salt
1/4 cup course ground pepper
2 Tbsp ground celery seed

Trim the fat from the brisket leaving approximately 1/4” - 1/2” fat. Below are some videos I watched that helped me with trimming.

Aaron Franklin brisket trimming

Meat Church brisket trim

After trimming coat the brisket in a thin even layer of rub and rest the brisket at room temperature for 2-4 hours before moving out to the smoker.
Set smoker to 225, insert temp probes into brisket. I placed one in the point and one in the flat. I placed my brisket on the cook surface with the point situated nearest the hot spot in my smoker.
Allow the brisket to cook uncovered until the bark has set. A good way to test this is to lightly scratch the bark, if it stays on the beef your bark is set. This happened for me when the brisket was at about 155.
Once you assure that your bark has set you can wrap the brisket tightly in butcher paper and either move indoors to your oven or leave the brisket on the smoker to finish. When the Brisket reaches a temp of 190 begin probing for doneness using your temp probe or a skewer. You will know it’s done when it feels like your inserting the probe into a jar of peanut butter.
Once you have finished cooking the brisket wrap it tightly in aluminum foil and allow to rest for 1 hour.
All that’s left to do is slice and serve.

Use leftovers to make tacos, slices placed in grilled cheese, and my favorite Nachos
75A02338-4358-4C13-9CB6-CA619BD3971B.jpeg

F8A5A1E9-346A-4FA3-A2FF-5730AF3379CA.jpeg

82F42BDA-C0FB-4208-B687-6B8B8F82FC4B.jpeg

4E6B0D82-61DB-4719-B7B3-D8A318C70D38.jpeg

Rub for brisket:
1/2 cup kosher salt

Trim the fat from the brisket leaving approximately 1/4” - 1/2” fat. Below are some videos I watched that helped me with trimming.

Meat Church brisket trim

After trimming coat the brisket in a thin even layer of rub and rest the brisket at room temperature for 2-4 hours before moving out to the smoker.
Set smoker to 225, insert temp probes into brisket. I placed one in the point and one in the flat. I placed my brisket on the cook surface with the point situated nearest the hot spot in my smoker.
Allow the brisket to cook uncovered until the bark has set. A good way to test this is to lightly scratch the bark, if it stays on the beef your bark is set. This happened for me when the brisket was at about 155.
Once you assure that your bark has set you can wrap the brisket tightly in butcher paper and either move indoors to your oven or leave the brisket on the smoker to finish. When the Brisket reaches a temp of 190 begin probing for doneness using your temp probe or a skewer. You will know it’s done when it feels like your inserting the probe into a jar of peanut butter.
Once you have finished cooking the brisket wrap it tightly in aluminum foil and allow to rest for 1 hour.

Use leftovers to make tacos, slices placed in grilled cheese, and my favorite Nachos
View attachment 3377
View attachment 3378
View attachment 3379
View attachment 3380
Nice! Are you a fat cap up or down kinda guy?

I understand the temps but I’ve been reading that it can take a long time. Does anyone have an estimate for times?
I just got my new Bull last week and my first attempt at a boneless pork shoulder was good but did not fall apart. So now I’m getting a couple briskets ( not sure where I can store them in my fridge ?)
Looking for any help for FNG
Thx

I understand the temps but I’ve been reading that it can take a long time. Does anyone have an estimate for times?
I just got my new Bull last week and my first attempt at a boneless pork shoulder was good but did not fall apart. So now I’m getting a couple briskets ( not sure where I can store them in my fridge ?)
Looking for any help for FNG
Thx

What was the internal temp of the pork shoulder? I ask this because for sliced you want it somewhere between 190-195*, and for pulled you're looking at around 205*. For briskets, you want them between 200-205*. I also like to wrap both of these at 165*. From my experiece, this is where it starts coming out of the stall period. Stalls usually take place around the 150ish* range, but there are so many variables here to really know for sure from smoke to smoke.

Also, I wouldn't get caught up on times with the larger cuts like pork butts & briskets, becasue they're all different and will have different stall lengths. I had a 9lb. brisket take 9 hours, and I had a 10 pound brisket take 12 hours. Both of these were cooked in the 225-250* range on my stick burner. Again, too many variables...

Hope this helps,

Darrell

Dont think I can explain it any better than Darrell just did. But just an example. I currently have 2 packers on now. A 14# and a 17#. Started 180 for 2 hours then turned up the heat to 225. I wrapped them in butcher paper between 160 and 170 internal. I stepped the heat up to 250. They are entering hour 16 at 196 and 200 almost ready to pull and let rest.
Enjoy yours man!

I have no expertise of my own, but I've seen advice to place the fat cap where it can protect the meat from the heat. I saw a video with Aaron Franklin where he discussed top heat versus bottom heat. I gather a pellet smoker would be bottom heat since the firepot is in the bottom of the unit. Fat will not render all the way through the meat.

I have no expertise of my own, but I've seen advice to place the fat cap where it can protect the meat from the heat. I saw a video with Aaron Franklin where he discussed top heat versus bottom heat. I gather a pellet smoker would be bottom heat since the firepot is in the bottom of the unit. Fat will not render all the way through the meat.
A pellet smoker with heat a deflector and drip pan acts more like a convection oven and the heat actually comes from the top.

What do y'all do with the point? I've been separating it prior to smoking and making burnt ends with it. Those of you who don't separate it first, do you slice it with the flat or separate it later and make burnt ends? All of the above? Thanks in advance.

Depending on who will be eating with us or what the wife has a hankering for I either slice it with the flat (turned 90* of course), remove it at the end of the cook and make burnt ends, or cut off some for burnt ends and leave some for slicing.

I have’t ever removed it before the cook.

Like Waterboy said, I never separate the point from the flat before smoking. We actually prefer the point, it just taste better, but we usually to burnt ends.

Rub for brisket:
1/2 cup kosher salt

Meat Church brisket trim

View attachment 3377
View attachment 3378
View attachment 3379
View attachment 3380
Question on the Celery Seed. I’m curious to add that to my brisket rub...which I typically have only used salt, pepper, & garlic powder in the past. Does the celery seed add a flavor profile, texture, or both? Do you use it specifically to beef, or other meats as well?

Appreciate the info!!

That pile of scraps...you can take those and throw them in a pan and render it for tallow. Then, next time you do a brisket, put a light coating of it on the butcher paper area that will contact your brisket and enjoy the results!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back