Trailblazer Overnighter in the teens.

Gonefishin

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
Just an FYI for 340 owners. I was concerned it'd empty the hopper before I got up in the a.m. so I kept track.

Temps in the teens, filled hopper with 15 lbs Bear Mtn pellets. Grill on at 20:30 @ 225, 2 8.5lb butts on @ 21:00. Come 5am the butts were 160, hopper still about 1/2 way full but I added another 3 lbs. Finished at 14:30, butts 198 and 200. Went thru 15 lbs of pellets in 18 hours with overnight temps of 18 and day temps in the 20's, felt welders blanket on the grill. The graph shows it held temp well. So no worried about cold weather overnight cooks. Nice.

Man that's some cold weather and that's great to hear that the cook still went well... Welding blanket sure helped it sounds like...

I've smoked with my 340 in the lower 20's before without any issues. These things are solid at holding their temps. I have been considering a blanket of sorts, as it couldn't hurt any.

Thanks for the info.

I just did my first brisket (14.5 lb before trim) on Christmas, it was down to 20, high next day in 30's. I did slow cook at 200. Started at 20:30. I was worried about pellets getting low, but at 5am, hopper was barely down, maybe inch at most. At 05:00 I wrapped it in paper and put to 225. I had to bump it up at the end a bit to 250 but then it went quickly and I pulled it off about 11:00 and put in a cooler. Other foods were a bit late, so it was about 13:30 before cut it. It looked and tasted great. As I told the guest this was my first brisket, after cutting I told them the ends were kind of burnt so I tossed them out. LOL I had funny looks. Those made some tasty testing before we ate.

I was happy the recteq kept temp up with no issues, even when I opened up at 20, it recovered in 5 minutes at most. I have to play with the timer app some. I thought I have the notifications setup properly, and I got a message on screen, but no alarm off. I wanted an alarm in case I was still sleeping and hit the 150 mark. I will play with the app some more.

I was thinking of a blanket, or if recteq made a insulated cover for 590, but after using at 20, I dont think I will. I live in GA and I dont think I will be cooking too much on it when it is down to 20. It does not dip down below 20 too much.

Hi gentlemen. I too had a sub-freezing smoke on Christmas Eve with my 700. Put a brisket on at 01:00 when the temp was 14 degrees and -1 wind chill. I used a new hillbilly blanket system consisting of a first layer of fiberglass welding blanket topped with two more moving blankets. The thing held temp at 225 all night long with only 2-3 degree temp fluctuations. I started with a nearly full hopper at 35 lbs and estimate that I burned 15-20 lbs for a 13 hour cook. Needless to say, I’m impressed by the performance of the grill. And the brisket? Seriously, the best one yet!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back