Outdoor kitchen ideas and implementations?

Jim6820

The Crazy Ol’ Basque!
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Grill(s) owned
  1. Trailblazer
We are in the early stages of buying a new (and smaller) home to downsize our living arrangements. That mean doesn’t mean we are downsizing the amenities, however. :rolleyes: We are definitely considering some options that will make our life more enjoyable.

One of those options is to build a covered outdoor kitchen/dining area/patio with gas grill, pellet smoker, prep surfaces/sink, refrigerator, etc. Since it will be a covered space (and, since we are in the Pacific Northwest) with, potentially, some semi-closed-in areas, I’m also thinking about some sort of overheat exhaust system to prevent smoke build-up.

I’m wondering if others have already been down this road and have photos of their kitchens, or suggestions regarding things to include or avoid. All thoughts are welcome. Right now, I have a high-end Napoleon gas grill and like it, so may use one like it for the new kitchen. For pellet grill/smoker, I’m looking pretty hard at MAK and Pitts & Spitts units, but am still open to other considerations.

Photos, links, ideas and thoughts are all welcome here, but let’s keep the focus pretty close to building an outdoor kitchen and dining area. Many thanks.

I’ll be interested in following this discussion. I have a somewhat functional outdoor kitchen now, and my wife wants me to upgrade it to be fully weatherproof, refrigerator, etc., but I’m reluctant to make the investment here as, like you, we will be downsizing in the next few years.

I used to design and build outdoor kitchens for people and for me it was sitting down with the customer and figuring out ALL of the wants and needs that is required then walking out to the site that said O.K. was to be placed/built and take measurements. Go home design multiple options for the area and pick what would fit their budget. In today's market there are so many options, full stainless, half and half, drawers, fridges, warming bins, sinks, side burners, materials for the structure, counter top material, types of roofs (solid, pull-back, shades), water and gas locations, permits, etc. etc.. I have built O.K.'s from $5k up to $86k.
You are limitless in your options for your dream build.
Have fun with it. Have any questions feel free to ask

I used to design and build outdoor kitchens for people and for me it was sitting down with the customer and figuring out ALL of the wants and needs that is required then walking out to the site that said O.K. was to be placed/built and take measurements. Go home design multiple options for the area and pick what would fit their budget. In today's market there are so many options, full stainless, half and half, drawers, fridges, warming bins, sinks, side burners, materials for the structure, counter top material, types of roofs (solid, pull-back, shades), water and gas locations, permits, etc. etc.. I have built O.K.'s from $5k up to $86k.
You are limitless in your options for your dream build.
Have fun with it. Have any questions feel free to ask
Thank you for that insight, @Thor8594; I appreciate it. I’m making a list of the desired options as we speak. Not looking for anything particularly glitzy, but fully functional for my needs and top quality. My “planning budget” is $50K, but it would be nice to come in a bit under that. OTOH, if it takes a budget increase to get what we want, that will be possible.

I’m thinking that some of the cost may depend on what the house we settle on has as a base for the OK. If there’s a solid, workable patio slab (and, even a cover), I’m thinking we can stay on track with the planning budget. If not, we’ll have to start from scratch.

Thanks, again, for your insight.

I hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine! I think the key to being happy at the end is obsessing over every little detail now, while you're planning and designing. as far as ventilation, since mine is open on all 4 sides, I use a ceiling fan to make sure the smoke doesn't just hang out in the space. That (running in reverse) coupled with a couple dormer vents would probably be enough if you're partially enclosed. fully enclosed, I'd put in an exhaust fan.
Things that I wish I'd done a bit differently are:
bigger sink - I have a single deep basin, but wish it was a double basin to allow for more local cleanup of larger pans and grates without taking them to the kitchen.
more drawers - I have plenty of doors for storage space under-counter, but drawers are more usable.
more space between burners and smoker - I thought I was maximizing counterspace, but all I did was crowd myself.
I've posted several photos of the setup on this forum. here are a couple right before our first party last May.
20210524_071212.jpg
20210524_071245.jpg

Thanks for the thoughts and photos, @orangebiker, I appreciate them. Point well made on the larger sink. I will definitely factor that in. Your roof structure is pretty much what I have in mind with the possibility that one end and/or side might be partially or fully closed in. And, I do like the ?-mark-shaped counter; nice way to maximize seating space.

We're getting ready to do the same thing. Items just started coming in today. I went with a Kamado Joe, a 30" Blaze gas griddle and two-unit open burners. Plus I already have the 1250, so that should take care of my in terms of cooking. I am getting rid of our gas grill. Now just waiting for the contractor to start building the pergola. I am building the bar and pouring the concrete countertops. Can't wait!!

Good luck with yours, Jim!

I hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine! I think the key to being happy at the end is obsessing over every little detail now, while you're planning and designing. as far as ventilation, since mine is open on all 4 sides, I use a ceiling fan to make sure the smoke doesn't just hang out in the space. That (running in reverse) coupled with a couple dormer vents would probably be enough if you're partially enclosed. fully enclosed, I'd put in an exhaust fan.
Things that I wish I'd done a bit differently are:
bigger sink - I have a single deep basin, but wish it was a double basin to allow for more local cleanup of larger pans and grates without taking them to the kitchen.
more drawers - I have plenty of doors for storage space under-counter, but drawers are more usable.
more space between burners and smoker - I thought I was maximizing counterspace, but all I did was crowd myself.
I've posted several photos of the setup on this forum. here are a couple right before our first party last May.View attachment 15829View attachment 15830
Love what you did there, Orangebiker!! Looks amazing!

We're getting ready to do the same thing. Items just started coming in today. I went with a Kamado Joe, a 30" Blaze gas griddle and two-unit open burners. Plus I already have the 1250, so that should take care of my in terms of cooking. I am getting rid of our gas grill. Now just waiting for the contractor to start building the pergola. I am building the bar and pouring the concrete countertops. Can't wait!!

Good luck with yours, Jim!
And, good luck with yours as well. So darn many things to consider and decisions to make. I’m glad mine is a long-term project.

I would most definitely have a tabletop style griddle ( Blackstone ) with cover built in.

I would most definitely have a tabletop style griddle ( Blackstone ) with cover built in.
I will put it on the list to consider, but I’m not much into frying stuff. I sear things on my gas grill (Napoleon) that hits 600F when I need it to. I need to look more into the Blackstone units.

We are in the early stages of buying a new (and smaller) home to downsize our living arrangements. That mean doesn’t mean we are downsizing the amenities, however. :rolleyes: We are definitely considering some options that will make our life more enjoyable.

One of those options is to build a covered outdoor kitchen/dining area/patio with gas grill, pellet smoker, prep surfaces/sink, refrigerator, etc. Since it will be a covered space (and, since we are in the Pacific Northwest) with, potentially, some semi-closed-in areas, I’m also thinking about some sort of overheat exhaust system to prevent smoke build-up.

I’m wondering if others have already been down this road and have photos of their kitchens, or suggestions regarding things to include or avoid. All thoughts are welcome. Right now, I have a high-end Napoleon gas grill and like it, so may use one like it for the new kitchen. For pellet grill/smoker, I’m looking pretty hard at MAK and Pitts & Spitts units, but am still open to other considerations.

Photos, links, ideas and thoughts are all welcome here, but let’s keep the focus pretty close to building an outdoor kitchen and dining area. Many thanks.
Whatever you do, it must include a full size fridge. Maybe not as big as what’s in your house but definitely not a dorm size one. Think mine is like a 20 cu. Ft. Size. Half of mine is for beer and other half is for all the leftovers cooked on the grill.
Some other ideas- at least a 2 burner cooktop (outdoor grade), rec teq now has a built in model (wish it was out a year ago because I would have liked to put that, I’ve seen some put the blackstone griddle in as a built in too. That would be nice.
Also a must have is some cabinet space to store all your outdoor cooking utensils, pots, etc. and a sink.

Whatever you do, it must include a full size fridge. Maybe not as big as what’s in your house but definitely not a dorm size one. Think mine is like a 20 cu. Ft. Size. Half of mine is for beer and other half is for all the leftovers cooked on the grill.
Some other ideas- at least a 2 burner cooktop (outdoor grade), rec teq now has a built in model (wish it was out a year ago because I would have liked to put that, I’ve seen some put the blackstone griddle in as a built in too. That would be nice.
Also a must have is some cabinet space to store all your outdoor cooking utensils, pots, etc. and a sink.
Yes, full-size fridge is definitely on the list. Not sure whether we’ll also include a separate wine storage fridge outside, or just keep our indoor unit. Wine like a more stable temperature range than might be possible with an outdoor unit. And, even though we do like a good craft beer, we also enjoy a glass of good wine.

And you make fun of me having a cocotte! 😂 My wine storage…
View attachment 15855

Just don’t ask to see where I store my bourbon!
Well, at least, I didn’t call it by its French name, vinotheque! :rolleyes:

Update: I just noticed what you had in your wine fridge. I went to high school with Bob Trinchero, the founder of Sutter Home. Nice fellow and good businessman. And, a pretty decent winemaker too. Good choice, @Greg Jones.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back