Ordered an RT-700 last night...

Congratulations on the new grill! The fun is about to get real.
You could cook some ribs, a meatloaf, bacon wrapped fatty anything that sounds good.
As for the pellets either of those choices would be good. I have used multiple bags of each. They are fairly similar to each other and I ca’t tell the difference on the finished product.

Congrats on the grill. Anything with some fat content will be fine for your first cook.

Also, I have two bags of pellets. Recteq ultimate blend and bear mountain gourmet blend, any preferences?
I’d go with the recteq pellets just because if you have an issue with anything during your first cook or two, the first thing they will tell you if you are using anything other than recteq or Kingsford is to switch pellets.

Just showed up. Now the question: what to cook first? I see a lot of people saying chicken thighs, which I'm not crazy about. Also, I have two bags of pellets. Recteq ultimate blend and bear mountain gourmet blend, any preferences?
Gonna have some fun now.

Just showed up. Now the question: what to cook first? I see a lot of people saying chicken thighs, which I'm not crazy about. Also, I have two bags of pellets. Recteq ultimate blend and bear mountain gourmet blend, any preferences?
Congrats on the new grill. It's absolutely not necessary to cook something greasy and messy on the first cook the grill will season in time. I cooked ST Louis ribs for my first cook and they made enough of a mess. I have found pellet's are pellet's as long as they are dry, fresh and stored correctly so I use cheaper locally sourced pellets, under $15 for 40 pound bag.

About 45 minutes into the burn in now. Can I just take a moment to say what a frigging feat of engineering this thing is? I mean seriously. It's kept within 1 degree of 400 perfectly. In fact it's been mostly at exactly 400. I'm super impressed. What did strike me is the absolute lack of smoke once it hit around 250. I can smell it faintly, but there is absolutely ZERO visible smoke. At the end of the burn in, I am going to turn it down to extreme smoke just to see it puff a little.

Here are a few pics of what will likely be the last time it will ever be all shiny and spotless. 🤣

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210405-200257_recteq.jpg
    Screenshot_20210405-200257_recteq.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 64
  • 20210405_193157.jpg
    20210405_193157.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 74
  • 20210405_184130.jpg
    20210405_184130.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 57
  • 20210405_184155.jpg
    20210405_184155.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 63
  • 20210405_184119.jpg
    20210405_184119.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 72
  • 20210405_184109.jpg
    20210405_184109.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 67
When mine was new, I did the biscuit test with a can of biscuits, and was pleased with the lack of hot/cold spots. These grills are great.

Try it, then you you'll have Bacon and Biscuits 😃(y)

When mine was new, I did the biscuit test with a can of biscuits, and was pleased with the lack of hot/cold spots. These grills are great.

Try it, then you you'll have Bacon and Biscuits 😃(y)

And maybe keep the grease from the bucket and make gravy with it. Then have biscuits and gravy with bacon. Smoked biscuits and gravy sounds pretty damn good.

You're gonna love your RT700. I bought mine last spring as a retirement gift to myself. The tundra is thawed up here and I'll be cranking her up shortly. Overnight smokes are the best!
It is getting close to not going outside anymore here, been 95º+ and only getting hotter. My bull may have to go into hibernation here soon.
The Sandlot Movie GIF

Too hot for me.

So, I did a little shopping. Got some bacon, a bunch of chicken drumsticks, some plain bratwurst, and a Boston butt. Not sure what I'm going to cook first, and the butt will have to wait till the weekend. Been getting home from work super late. Any recommendations on how to cook the bratwurst?

So, I did a little shopping. Got some bacon, a bunch of chicken drumsticks, some plain bratwurst, and a Boston butt. Not sure what I'm going to cook first, and the butt will have to wait till the weekend. Been getting home from work super late. Any recommendations on how to cook the bratwurst?
Stuff inside hamburger patties.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back