Open Discussion: Soliciting Input on Sub-$20 Thermometer Meat "Pens" From Those w/Experience

Ostrichsak

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
A recent thread with the name brand and well-reviewed Thermopen caught my eye. It was on sale for $70 (thread here for reference) which is a pretty good sale since those run about $100 normally and even on sale it's generally more like 10-20% off. Before I pulled the trigger I wanted to see what the options were. I know that I've done this exercise over the years on exactly this type of product and then lose interest and go on with life w/o one. If the cost is nearly $100 I just don't need one that bad. I've got a 20-year-old pend that doesn't fold, doesn't have a rotating readout and takes a bit to go from room temp to the higher temp range but the readings tend to be spot on when they get there and it was literally free after rebate. Even that one doesn't get used super frequently and meets my needs so it's hard for me to justify a c-note on something that won't have much of an affect on my daily life.

I want to consider lower cost alternatives. It seems as though there are now lots of sub-$20 options out there and many seem to have a solid track record and good reviews. I'm trying to get some input from those who have first-hand knowledge on any of them but would value those that supply input on this one specifically on this one for $16.99 on Amazon? I have no doubt the Thermopen is better in some way but I see no mention of a warranty on the Termopen website to say "well, this one is covered for life so it will be the last one I ever buy" or some other strong reason to pay 5x more. That's 5x more on this rare sale price on a specific color too. Normal price would be nearly 6x more. Is it really 5-6x better? Someone who has compared these two specifically please quantify why or why not.

I didn't want to derail that Thermopen thread any further than I already had and also figured that the eyes on that thread would probably also include a very small # of those who had bought a sub-$20 thermometer pen and were happy because there would be little to no motivation to buy a Thermopen even for half off.

Thanks!

I got one of sub $20 amazon units. It works fairly well. It has tested accurate so far for me. It is not instant, even though it says instant on the box. But it works for me. Someday I will drop more money on the thermopen probably, but for under $20, if it last me a few years and serves the purpose I use it for, I am happy. I am a believer in the You get what you pay for, but some times you just dont want or need a rolls royce.

I have an earlier version of this one as well as a Thermopen MK4 that my son got me for Christmas. The cheaper one doesn’t have all of the bells and whistles nor does it read as fast but is a solid reliable thermometer and gives me the same temp reading.

Not as fast means three or four seconds instead of 2 seconds. The cheaper one does bounce around a little more as well. I cooked a LOT of decent meals using the cheaper one.

Having said that I always use the Thermopen now with the cheap one as my back up. I like the extra features on the Thermopen but would have gotten along just fine without it.

I have been using the InkBird; a sub $20 unit for 8 months. It is not "instant" but 3-5 seconds does the job for me. I use it ALOT even when stovetop cooking. Its USB rechargeable has an illuminated display and an auto-off feature. No issues so far. Love it.

InkBird.png

I have been using the Weber "instant read" thermometer for about 6 months. It's OK, but definitely 5-6 seconds or even more to get an accurate read. Also, the one I have isn't the pen style, so it's difficult to maneuver it, especially into the side of a piece of meat. I just ordered a Thermapen when I saw this most recent sale. I want it fast, accurate, and flexible and something that will last. Based specifically on feedback from those on this board, it sounds like spending the extra cash is the way to go versus getting something cheap now knowing deep down you want the better version and probably will spend the money on it later on.

Many of the differences between models can seem subtle - and may not be relevant to all users. The Thermapen Mk 4 uses a thermocouple sensor, where others use a thermistor. So there are differences in how fast it reads and the range of temperatures it handles. It's also waterproof to IP67, where some are splash resistant to IP65 (or lower). Its number display rotates at 90-degree increments, where some rotate at 180-degree or not at all. I wish it had built-in magnets like some others, but you can buy the glow-in-the-dark silicone boot to add them.

We happen to own both a Javelin Pro Duo and Thermapen Mk 4. Each gets used for a variety of things, not just smoking & grilling. Both are good options and we'd be happy with either if we had to choose only one.

There are other less expensive options out there, and if one of them suits your needs and tastes I say go for it. As long as it's reasonably accurate. even a basic instant-read is way better than guessing.

I have this one ThermoPro TP19 Waterproof Digital Meat Thermometer for Grilling with Ambidextrous Backlit & Thermocouple Instant Read Thermometer Kitchen Cooking Food Thermometer for Candy Water Oil BBQ Grill Smoker.

I paid $24 a couple weeks ago vs $79-$99 for the Thermapen, I think I'm fine. I don't believe the Thermapen is 3x or $75 better

61sGPyyKeWL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07R18W3W1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Works perfectly and is within a degree or two of the RT probes
Here's a review of both but note that the ThermoPro does come with a battery

Last edited:
I started the prior thread just to notify users of a good sale price on the MK4 since many have commented they might buy one on sale. I didn't mean to imply it's the only option. I also have 2 Kizen pens that are now on sale for 14.40 (I paid $20).

https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Read...ermometer&qid=1614213154&sprefix=kizen&sr=8-3

They work fairly well. Tonight I tested them against the MK4 in boiling water. The MK4 did was a couple of seconds quicker. The 2 Kizens were about 1° off from each other with one reading equal to the MK4. The Kizens read to one decimal place while the MK4 reads a whole integer. While it might seem like an advantage for Kizen, it was actually annoying because the decimal keeps changing up and down and it is not really useful information to me.

In the end a thermometer is a tool. I can get good results with Harbor Freight tools and higher price brand name tools...just need to know the limitations of each.

I prefer the speed of the MK4, especially when cooking 2 dozen chicken thighs or anything requiring multiple temperature checks. But i can get the same results with the Kizen. So I don't think there is a right or wrong answer to your question, it's what works for you.

Great thread thus far. Thanks for all of the input!

I started the prior thread just to notify users of a good sale price on the MK4 since many have commented they might buy one on sale. I didn't mean to imply it's the only option. I also have 2 Kizen pens that are now on sale for 14.40 (I paid $20).

https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Read...ermometer&qid=1614213154&sprefix=kizen&sr=8-3

They work fairly well. Tonight I tested them against the MK4 in boiling water. The MK4 did was a couple of seconds quicker. The 2 Kizens were about 1° off from each other with one reading equal to the MK4. The Kizens read to one decimal place while the MK4 reads a whole integer. While it might seem like an advantage for Kizen, it was actually annoying because the decimal keeps changing up and down and it is not really useful information to me.

In the end a thermometer is a tool. I can get good results with Harbor Freight tools and higher price brand name tools...just need to know the limitations of each.

I prefer the speed of the MK4, especially when cooking 2 dozen chicken thighs or anything requiring multiple temperature checks. But i can get the same results with the Kizen. So I don't think there is a right or wrong answer to your question, it's what works for you.
I definitely appreciate you letting us know about that sale. I almost threw it in the cart and ordered one and previous sales weren't enough to entice me so that's saying something. I just wanted to explore what else was out there as I've been down this path before. I want to order something but I have a hard time pulling the trigger on something nearly $100. $20 is more of a no brainer as I can nearly guarantee I'll get $20 worth of value out of it.

I feel like I'd rather get one of these cheaper pens and, with the money I save, invest in one of those truly wireless thermometer kits as I think I'd probably get more use out of one of those for my style cooking than a high-end instant pen. Just me though and I realize that everyone has different needs.

So I originally purchased this from Amazon based on reviews

https://www.amazon.com/Thermometer-Cooking-Instant-Waterproof-Grilling/dp/B083JY31NG/

I thought it was erratic with readings so I coughed up the $$ for a Thermopen..

After getting the Thermopen I thought they were similar in function. It is the varied temps that made me question it. But I think it is normal. Just see a range of temps regardless.

Unfortunately.. If I knew what I did I probably would have just held onto the Amazon and not ordered the Thermopen. I guess I was expecting magical LOL.. I liked the built in magnet on the Amazon unit.

Anyway.. I guess I have a Thermopen now!!

@Ostrichsak first of all thank you for the conversation.
I will have to admit I’ve been following the threads all day long. Wavering back-and-forth which one to buy, and your last paragraph summed it up for me.
Get the sub $20 pen and find the right wireless thermometer kits.
Thank you 😊

We have at least 3 generations of Thermapens in the drawer. Early ones were not waterproof or even splash resistant. Nor did they have lights. The first one we bought still works and I use it sometimes. Some of the middle versions cracked on their bodies. Batteries changed along the way too.

Frankly, I haven't used any other brand in the past 12-15 years since we bought our first. But I'm sure there are some great alternatives, where there wasn't anything comparable years ago.

My wife gives thermapens for Christmas gifts every year, like candy. All you have to do is get on her Christmas list.;)

We have at least 3 generations of Thermapens in the drawer. Early ones were not waterproof or even splash resistant. Nor did they have lights. The first one we bought still works and I use it sometimes. Some of the middle versions cracked on their bodies. Batteries changed along the way too.

Frankly, I haven't used any other brand in the past 12-15 years since we bought our first. But I'm sure there are some great alternatives, where there wasn't anything comparable years ago.

My wife gives thermapens for Christmas gifts every year, like candy. All you have to do is get on her Christmas list.;)
Please ask your wife to include me on the list.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HunterC
Back