Open Discussion: Soliciting Input on Sub-$20 Thermometer Meat "Pens" From Those w/Experience

Where is the signup sheet? ;)

To enter the Sweetie Pie Christmas List Thermapen Gift sweepstakes, Fedex Overnight your best bbq dish to: PO box OOU812. Entries will be judged for taste, freshness and quantity by Sweetie. Multiple submissions will be granted multiple entries if they are good. Enter soon, enter often.

There's buying on price, and there's buying on total value. If you get value this might be helpful: (4) Equipment Review: The Best Digital Instant-Read Thermometers & Our Testing Winners - YouTube

This is the Cooks Illustrated test. While they stuck with the Thermapen Mk4 as the top dog, they named the Lava Tools Javelin Pro Duo as the best mid priced thermometer. It is currently $55 on Amazon. It is IP 65 splash resistant, as compared to the Thermapen IP 67 submersable. For $14 more, I'd choose the sale Thermapen, because I know I like to wash them under the faucet. https://www.amazon.com/Lavatools-Ja...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Thanks for posting this. I watched the America’s Test Kitchen review and decided to go for the Thermapen Mk4 and return the unused Lavatools that was $27.99 on Amazon. Too many usable features particularly the backlit screen on the Mk4

I bought a thermapen a few years ago. I was using it for brewing and justified paying that much because most brewing gadgets can be a little expensive. Yes it does work fast and seems to be accurate but I don’t know if it’s worth the extra cost. Especially since not being waterproof mine has gotten a little flakey over the years and I took great care not to submerge the unit but I believe this was due to condensation. I have to open and close it a few times to get it to turn on and mostly it won’t stay on unless completely unfolded. So if you absolutely have to splurge probably best to go with the mk2 just for the waterproof feature. I wanted to upgrade but can’t justify the cost. If my thermapen stopped working I would probably get one of their new dash thermometers. The small size looked very attractive to me. Sometimes the thermapen can be a bit large and clunky.

I bought a thermapen a few years ago. I was using it for brewing and justified paying that much because most brewing gadgets can be a little expensive. Yes it does work fast and seems to be accurate but I don’t know if it’s worth the extra cost. Especially since not being waterproof mine has gotten a little flakey over the years and I took great care not to submerge the unit but I believe this was due to condensation. I have to open and close it a few times to get it to turn on and mostly it won’t stay on unless completely unfolded. So if you absolutely have to splurge probably best to go with the mk2 just for the waterproof feature. I wanted to upgrade but can’t justify the cost. If my thermapen stopped working I would probably get one of their new dash thermometers. The small size looked very attractive to me. Sometimes the thermapen can be a bit large and clunky.
They're up to Mk4 which is fully submersible. But from what I see my beer brew buddies doing, I'd go with one of the long stem "soup" thermometers that Thermaworks sells. I have one around here as well.

Funny update to this story... you know what I just found stuck the the side of my refrigerator over the weekend? A Javelin Pro. ROFL. I went into my Amazon history and searched for "thermometer" and not only did I discover that I've spent a lot of money on thermometers of various types over the years but I also bout one of these bad boys some four years ago. Who knew? Only thing I can say with certainty at this point in terms of first hand experience is that the battery life is really good. lol I can't want to use this sucker and see just how good it really is and if all those reviews I read years ago when decided were accurate.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back