Only 440° on full...fixed!

Dojo

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
Did ribeyes on my new 700. 225° until IT of 118° when I then set controller to full to heat up my Sear Grates. I could only get to 440°. I've read where some have had the same issue. I said, "Screw it," and put them on the grate any way. As I stood there waiting to turn the steaks, I noticed that I forgot to shut the meat probe port on the side. As soon as I did that, the temperature started rise drastically. I was in it too deep to let it max out, so I went on searing 2 min, turn, 2 min, flip, 2 min, turn, 2 min. The steaks were cooked to perfection with an IT of 157°. I wish the sear would have been better. It probably would have had I figured out the probe port earlier. It would have easily gotten to above 500+° had I had more patience. Just an FYI if anyone is having trouble getting a high temp on full. Close the probe port! It makes a huge difference! The outside temperature during the cook was 42°.

Attachments

• 20210227_182550.jpg
    20210227_182550.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 151
I will have to try that. I admit, I rarely pay much attention to the port. I bet mine is always open. Some others have also sealed the smoker itself. I bet that can help. Mine is pretty inconsistent around how high it will go. There seem to be a lot of factors that impact it. Pellets, wind, etc.

I think some of the experts here can help you with the pellet flow/rate. I think moving that up helps too.

One last comment. For my best sear marks, consider putting a light coat of high burn point oil on your grates before you put them in. I use a paper towel wadded up and swab avocado oil on the grates. I wait about 20 mins with the steaks resting (sometimes 30 is really thick). When i put my steaks down they really sizzle. Also, this is a minor point, but when you do your twists, move them on the grates. Your meat does bring the temp down on the grates. I twist the same rates you listed, but i move them around the grates. This ensures the highest temp when the steaks hit the grate and oil to help with the marking.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back