One Year Later, Still No Solutions from RT on "Smart" Features (read: Notifications) We All Bought.

Ostrichsak

Grill(s) owned
  1. Stampede
This thread was inspired by someone recently saying that there's an update for the iOS version of the app and hoping that it will fix this issue.

TBH, I'm not sure that an app update is the solution to the lack of notification problem at all.

The problem is most likely on the sever-end so a simple app update isn't going to solve a problem. The problem is that the app isn't getting access to data in the first place, not how the app processes said data once it has it. If it were the latter (rather than the former) an app update could potentially solve it. Based on what I'm seeing, it certainly feels like they're headend server assets aren't up to the job required during high-traffic times.

(WARNING: conjecture in this paragraph, skip to the next one if you can't handle hearing constructive criticism of RT based on the facts present) Regardless of what these resources look like (people always want to attack me for assuming it's 3rd party cloud-based virtual server providers like AWS and what their particular plan provides in term of server capabilities since it's the most common/likely) the answer in these instances is almost always more money will fix the problem. They either need to beef up whatever their virtual or physical service solution is, the bandwidth connecting to the world wide web or possibly a combination of the above. That's what's most frustrating about this is that RT doesn't see it as being enough of a problem (largely due to all of the white knights defending what's clearly a broken product anytime someone tries to publicize these shortcomings) to loosen the purse strings to meet the promises of features that brought in that revenue in the first place. Taken at face value this feels awfully greedy to me. In a complete vacuum of any official word from RT what are we supposed to do other than draw a conclusion based on the most likely scenario given what we know? Other than recognizing the issues exist and promising it will be dealt with before the next high-volume/holiday weekend which has been officially been over a year ago since the firs time this problem was noted wide-spread was on Super Bowl weekend 2021, what has RT done? These app updates are simple and inexpensive compared to what the real solution will likely cost but it also serves to make the general populace "feel" like they're putting effort forth when in reality they really aren't. A high school kid could update an app in their spare time but bolstering the solution necessary to support these features is a much different story. I mean, the only other option here after over a year is that it's not a money thing and they're just grossly incompetent. Try to keep those two options in mind whenever you defend RT by saying I'm wrong and attacking me personally on what I believe to be the issue.

They seem to not have their sever-end bolstered enough to process the bandwidth. Due to this, I'm not confident that an app update is going to resolve the heart of the issues. It's mostly just window dressing which is why we still have it well over a year later now.

About the ONLY app update that could potentially correct these symptoms we're seeing would be a wholesale change that fundamentally modifies how the app receives data in the first place which would mean a local-only based solution. So in other words, the smoker wouldn't "call home" to transmit data to the RT servers which then serve it back up to the app as needed. There are some negatives to this type of solution as well but, for me, I'd rather have the thing work at a basic level consistently than have it not work reliably but also have more advanced features that also don't work reliably.

Much of this is said at a basic level to try to engage all of those who are experiencing this issue so if you're more technical please don't bash me for over-simplification. This was done intentionally to include everyone who owns one of these smokers who is attempting to understand what the issues are and how they can be fixed.

Ultimately, I truly hope that I'm wrong and that they can simply fix this once and for all and make it 100% reliable through a simple front-end software adjustment via an app update. Nothing would make me happier as a RT-590 owner. I don't think that I'm wrong though and I believe that our problems will persist until RT actually wants to fix the problem, sadly.

Bought a Thermoworks Signals and never looked back. I purchased the 700 for its quality and its stability compared to other manufacturers. I suppose the communications portion of the pellet smoker had some influence on the purchase. I realized early on it was never going to do what I want so I moved on. The Thermoworks product would probably have been purchased anyway.

Not flaming your post at all. I am just happy with being able to move forward with a better solution than Recteq could have ever provided.

End result is I am using my 700 with impunity and enjoying it without any challenges. RT might suck in various areas of execution but I refuse to allow them to frustrate me.

Hoping and praying for the RT app to actually work consistently is a fruitless endeavor. Recteq simply does not have the the inclination or desire to fix it.

I also bought a Signals unit and it’s great. I already had a Weber iGrill 2, and it’s also very well done.

Some may be willing to die on the RT app hill, but I’m not one of them. I have better things to do.

OK let me take a crack at this one. I have read many of your previous posts, I'm generally not one to apply the verbal beatdowns on this forum and I do think you have a valid concern. The notifications do not work on a consistent basis, in particular at times of high traffic. As to what needs to be done to fix it, that is where I join you in terms of expertise. If this were just an app fix, I imagine it would be easy to do. Your suspicion about back end capacity seems more likely.

As for where I place this particular shortcoming in the grand scheme of things, it is not something that bothers me too much. I bought my RT700 primarily for the build quality, ease of use and temperature control. The product has met or exceeded my expectations in those areas. I knew there was an app that allowed remote pit temperature monitoring and temperature changes. I was also aware of meat probes that would allow monitoring of internal temperature. I may or may not have considered the notification features, but that was not a big selling point for me. I keep an eye on the app, so I feel pretty comfortable with my own monitoring. I recall when you first posted, you had a couple of cooks go poorly, as you relied on notifications which failed. Had I been in your shoes, I might have a very different opinion.

I know some folks have said, "Talk to RT, as this forum is not monitored by them." I am pretty sure you did so, and were not satisfied that you were heard. While the issue you raised has still not been resolved, I hope you have been able to pull off some successful cooks without that feature working.

There is not much I can bring to the table regarding the technical solution to address your concern. The best I can offer is to ask the guys at RT in person later this year. My wife and I will be attending the academy class in November. That seems like a good place to bring this up and try to gain a better understanding of the problem. That is still many months away, so maybe we see an improvement sooner. "Yeah right" would be a fair response, so no offense taken.

My wife and I will be attending the academy class in November. That seems like a good place to bring this up and try to gain a better understanding of the problem.
Having attended Academy, also with my wife, I’ll say with no disrespect intended, good luck with that. The recteq folks that are active in the Academy experience weekend have no desire or qualifications to do tech support. Period. Most of the event is facilitated by non-recteq chefs that are hired guns themselves. Raise a question like this, especially in the common Academy group, and it will likely be dismissed entirely. Better to reserve your questions to those that are more focused on the culinarily experience. That’s what recteq wants Academy to be-something that you can attend and benefit from, even if you don’t own a recteq.

I went with recteq for build quality and temperature stability. I'm engaged in my cooks so I have no interest in notifications and surely would not let an expensive cut of meat at the mercy of a single point of failure. The I paid for that feature doesn't resonate as I value it at about 1% of the purchase price.

Having attended Academy, also with my wife, I’ll say with no disrespect intended, good luck with that. The recteq folks that are active in the Academy experience weekend have no desire or qualifications to do tech support. Period. Most of the event is facilitated by non-recteq chefs that are hired guns themselves. Raise a question like this, especially in the common Academy group, and it will likely be dismissed entirely. Better to reserve your questions to those that are more focused on the culinarily experience. That’s what recteq wants Academy to be-something that you can attend and benefit from, even if you don’t own a recteq.
Thanks for the insight. It helps to know what to expect.

i really don’t use the app much but you know what i rarely use my cruise control either and on a new car i would expect it to function as advertised. i personally don’t get mad about the app, but i completely understand why it would bother someone so bad. i would have paid the same price even without the app.

Likely if we all took a step back, there is not one that can say Recteq is 100% perfect, but what is?

Those same people would likely all have their #1 Top issue different from each other or at least many different issues.

Those same folks would likely even have a varied opinion on resolutions and what it means to them.

The problem is exactly that. Challenges to focus on just 1 issue that have so many variables. Which affect many different people. Will just create frustration to each one of those folks that are looking for results when the solution does not address everyone's troubles.

I'm not going to touch on a specific issue in this post and try to comment on that alone. It is healthy to have conversations that bother us and have others chime in good or indifferent. It is how we move through each day.

I hope that everyone having issues gets them resolved at some point so they can be happy and move on. But if it doesn't, try to enjoy the things that make you happy and be less frustrated with those that do and make adjustments to get around them. Life is just too short plain & simple.

Likely if we all took a step back, there is not one that can say Recteq is 100% perfect, but what is?

Those same people would likely all have their #1 Top issue different from each other or at least many different issues.

Those same folks would likely even have a varied opinion on resolutions and what it means to them.

The problem is exactly that. Challenges to focus on just 1 issue that have so many variables. Which affect many different people. Will just create frustration to each one of those folks that are looking for results when the solution does not address everyone's troubles.

I'm not going to touch on a specific issue in this post and try to comment on that alone. It is healthy to have conversations that bother us and have others chime in good or indifferent. It is how we move through each day.

I hope that everyone having issues gets them resolved at some point so they can be happy and move on. But if it doesn't, try to enjoy the things that make you happy and be less frustrated with those that do and make adjustments to get around them. Life is just too short plain & simple.
Very well said! (y)

The app not working does bother me, but wasn't enough to turn me away from buying my RT-1250. I bought my recteq because of it's "build quality" and reliability. Now I don't even think my grill is safe because it randomly wants to explode and recteq doesn't think anything is wrong with my grill. (n)

I did enough research before buying my 1250 to know about this issue, but I bought anyway. I agree with the statements though...the notifications / app portion of the grill could REALLY use some work.

I came to the RT from using a Kamado Joe with a FlameBoss temperature controller and my expectation from the app was something similar to FlameBoss. In some ways it is, but nowhere near as reliable. FlameBoss is focused only on the temp controller space + their app, so the experience reflects that.

Features on the FlameBoss include:
  1. Sharing cooks (friends and family can follow along with your temps through a URL)
  2. Stored history of every cook ("Those ribs were really good last time. What temp did I use and how long did they take?")
  3. Type in your desired temps...not a slider.
  4. Have up to 4 meat probes + grill temp
  5. App Notifications
  6. This is the big one...SMS Text Notifications.
The SMS text notifications were awesome. I set them up with a special tone that was for sure going to wake me up in the middle of the night for overnight cooks and they worked flawlessly for me. So far, I have not had the same experience with Recteq or the Inkbird I bought (I wish I had returned that). I have supplemented my grill tech with my very old $30 wireless temp monitor that I bought when I first got into smoking and that's solve most of the issues. I do wish that everything was all integrated through my phone though.

As others have said, there are other solutions around this and even knowing what I know today, I'd still make the exact same purchase decision on the Recteq. I love this thing!

Am I the only person who hasn’t had issues with the app?
And if I even did have any issues it wasn’t something that had me worried since it must not have been happening regularly.
The app was a big selling point for me as well as build quality since I enjoy being able to control and monitor everything without being infront of the grill at all times by getting notifications

Am I the only person who hasn’t had issues with the app?
And if I even did have any issues it wasn’t something that had me worried since it must not have been happening regularly.
The app was a big selling point for me as well as build quality since I enjoy being able to control and monitor everything without being infront of the grill at all times by getting notifications
Careful! You're moving into Fanboy, Fangirl, Fanperson territory.

I recently switched from an Android Phone to an iPhone.....the app is definitely better on iOS. I installed it just to check it out and see what the differences were.

Now that I've done a cook with it.....time to delete it again. :D :ROFLMAO:

Hmmm, this is really interesting. I've only had my 700/Bull for about a month/6 cooks, or so. I have seen a lot of negative press here and other places about the app. It has a very low score on the Apple App Store as well. All of which caused me to kind of raise an eyebrow.

I have it set up on my iPhone XR, iOS 15.3.1. RecTeQ app version 2.0.3, Build 736.
I'm running a Netgear Orbi Mesh WiFi network as well. I'm also able to connect a second iPhone and iPad, along with the primary iPhone, all at the same time. Wasn't counting on that, but it works fine.

I have had zero problems, either with the initial configuration, continued operation, connectivity, or notifications. But, I might be missing notifications and not know it (yet). I do agree about the temp setpoint being a PITA, that needs to be fixed along with recipes. I'm not going to say that I think it's been fantastic, but I've had so many more problems with other (un-related to RecTeq) Apps that the RecTeq app looks pretty solid to me. But....that doesn't mean that more usage might not uncover issues that I haven't noticed yet.

As far as the other apps that I mentioned, I have an electric smoker from another manufacturer that is just terrible. Connectivity headaches, constant "communications errors", PID control that's all over the map, "Autotune" that doesn't work and so many exposed Control parameters that only a (very bright) chemical plant engineer would understand. The manual ? Complete and utter garbage. No structure and completely disjointed. Missing and incorrect information. It had to have been written by multiple 6 year olds, all with varying degrees of ADHD and all of them fighting over color crayons. It is virtually useless, it is just wretched.

So, in comparison to my smoker, I'm pretty happy with the RecTeQ.
Fanboi ? No.
Happy with the product ? Yes.

Now, if they'd just make (and even sell) a drip shield for the inside bottom front of the lid, I'd be even happier. Or, do I have to go buy the kit from Grilla ?

I recently switched from an Android Phone to an iPhone.....the app is definitely better on iOS. I installed it just to check it out and see what the differences were.

Now that I've done a cook with it.....time to delete it again. :D :ROFLMAO:

Any particular reason you switched? I switched many years ago just for stability. When my Android called different people than I dialed that was it for me :ROFLMAO:.

Full disclaimer.. I am not a fanperson of either. Just a device to me.

In all fairness, if you look at the app reviews for ANY other grill, they are all pretty low with most averaging 1-3 stars. Traeger, on the other hand, has 143K five star reviews.

I guess if the app is something super important to you, then Traeger might have been the way to go.

In all fairness, if you look at the app reviews for ANY other grill, they are all pretty low with most averaging 1-3 stars. Traeger, on the other hand, has 143K five star reviews.

I guess if the app is something super important to you, then Traeger might have been the way to go.

Ugg.. not going back there.. flushed 2 units years ago. Was time to just move on.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back