On Sunday I updated the RT App and my iPhone ios. Now i can't connect 99% of the time.

kennethk

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Grill(s) owned
  1. Bull
  2. RT-1070
Has anyone else seen this?
I normally do not have an issue connecting.
I put a 15 lbs brisket on at 05:00 and wanted to monitor it from work.
I paid $1.27 a pound for this poor boy at Kroger yesterday. The vacuum seal had leaked and the bag was loose so they marked it down.
I almost never get stuck at work but today I did so I was one hour late getting home. By that time it was at 207 - 210 after 10 1/2 hours. I was going to pull it at 205.
When I probed it, it had the least resistance I had had in a brisket. It is resting quietly now.
At lunch when it was around 155 I put in an aluminum pan with two cups of beef broth and covered with foil.
I was eating some pulled pork ($1.24 at Kroger) from Saturday for breakfast and lunch so I'm stuffed and won't sample the brisket until tomorrow.
Speaking of the pork I had in on toasted $0.25 Kroger rolls with homemade mustard sauce topped with homemade dill pickles. Yum.
I used ~2 pounds of the pork to make pork and beans, with homemade BBQ sauce, and shared with coworkers at mine and my wife's work.
Still have 5 pounds for us.
Sorry for the long post. Just sharing some low cost good smokes I was Blessed with.
Keep Smiling and Be Safe.

2 things to try. (May help )
#1 shut your phone down ( cures a lot of unknowns )
#2 close and disable app completely, then download it again.
Hopefully works but the app is the weak link of RT.

Unfortunately, the app not connecting is the norm rather than the exception for a lot of us. I have given up and just use the ThermoWorks Signals unit for monitoring my cooks. The TW app does work! BTW, I am also using IOS version of the apps on both an iPhone 13 and an iPad Air (4th Gen).

It's working fine today. Oh well.
PS The brisket temped at ~212 and both the point and flat were the tenderest I've made so far.

My 700 arrived today with the dual band computer. No issues at all the last 5 hours of burn in and griddle pan seasoning.

My 700 arrived today with the dual band computer. No issues at all the last 5 hours of burn in and griddle pan seasoning.
The true test will be this weekend when the RT server(s) will, more than likely, be overloaded with traffic. That’s when most of the connection issues occur. And, it is the time period where most RT users want the app to work.

Just did overnight cook brisket with mine and no Alarms no nothing. Takes ten seconds to connect and have to close app each time and reopen. Pretty much useless.

Just did overnight cook brisket with mine and no Alarms no nothing. Takes ten seconds to connect and have to close app each time and reopen. Pretty much useless.
Unfortunately, that’s a pretty familiar story. And, Recteq will tell you it is your router/network that’s the problem. We cooked meat for years without using wifi, I guess we can continue to do so. RT should just quit advertising it as a “feature.”

Although I am not an expert in any way, I would recommend, if this happens again, that you open the app, and at the bottom of the display and touch "More". This brings you to Settings. I would try "Sign out", then "Sign in". Re-enter you password. If this doesn't work I suspect that you have ... 1) lost your wifi connection to your router or 2) you may have maxed out the number of connections to your router device (older router), you could try turning off a device on the network. 3) your recteq may be trying to connect to a 5 Gigahertz router SSID. Try changing your phone's wifi setting to the 2.4 Gigahertz SSID then redo the setup. My router automatically changes the connection speed to the device capable speed.

Again, not an expert, and I have not experienced the problem myself yet. Good luck

Interesting.... I used the recteq app on my android phone yesterday when smoking some chicken thighs and it looked different so I am guessing it was automatically "upgraded" It has a new look which is Ok but the frufru about "what are you cooking" that takes up screen space is not all that helpful.

I start my chicken thighs out on "Low" for an hour and during this period I got a message that the 590 was cooling down. I went outside and verified that the grill was still operating in the 180F range and still lit. I later bumped up to 350F and everything was "normal".

This little bobble degrades the little confidence I have in the app for long over night cooks. It does seem somewhat more reliable but I certainly will not depend on it yet.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back