Notifications and Temperature History Dead?

FriedEngineer

Anyone else having issues with the notifications and temperature history? I’m getting nothing for either. Both were working on Sunday but not today. I assume their servers can’t keep up with the holiday demand? If so, that’s absurd.

8A9E87DB-4905-44D7-9AF1-995B31E59AF0.png
4E7A2102-0490-47D3-B721-4C8F83C46DF1.png

Think I saw an email from them that their servers may not be able to handle the load.

Does this really happen every holiday? WTF?!?

All we can do is voice it to RT.. this is not their forum and only take upgrade posts to increase sales and profits.

Call them if you have issues and this is a concern of yours.

I'd emailed recteq support about it when I posted originally (I didn't know what was going on), and they just called me. They said improving efficiency of the app and servers is a top focus....I'll believe it when I see it.

Does this really happen every holiday? WTF?!?
My research just on these forums says yes.

Get a Fireboard and problem solved.
I'll happily accept one! Shoot me a PM and I'll get you my address.

If you meant I should buy one, I completely disagree. I shouldn't have to spend $200+ on a 3rd party addition for the basic features that were supposed to be included. I'm not asking for MORE than they advertised, I'm asking for exactly what they advertised and it is unacceptable to me to accept anything less.

I'd emailed recteq support about it when I posted originally (I didn't know what was going on), and they just called me. They said improving efficiency of the app and servers is a top focus....I'll believe it when I see it.

Unfortunately, your assumption is likely correct based on how long this has been going on. Many including me want to have control locally and not a cloud based solution.

The thing is how much effort to put into the fight since historically this is a known issue and to date still happens. All we can do is what you did and voice the issue. Thanks for doing so.

Unfortunately, your assumption is likely correct based on how long this has been going on. Many including me want to have control locally and not a cloud based solution.
I told the agent who called me that I would have preferred a local connection as well. He spouted some nonsense about needing it to be going to their servers because then you couldn't access it when not on WiFi; obviously if I'm not on the same network a direct connection wouldn't work, but I told him I'd be okay with defaulting to a local connection and then using their servers as a backup. I suspect doing that would probably remove 75%+ of the load on their servers as well. I'm pretty sure he did not understand what I was talking about, and I wouldn't expect a basic support agent to, so after talking in circles with him I told him I was done and to have a nice day. Pretty frustrating call and situation overall.

If I get frustrated enough, I may look into a Home Assistant integration (I've found a few after a brief search) as I already have a Home Assistant instance set up and I would have more control over the features and notifications.

If I get frustrated enough, I may look into a Home Assistant integration (I've found a few after a brief search) as I already have a Home Assistant instance set up and I would have more control over the features and notifications.

This sounds very interesting.. if you make any progress please keep us posted (y). I'm not talented enough in this area to know where to begin but have a technical background 😁. Willing to help if needed.

I bought my 680 second hand and it has the Wi-Fi upgrade. I still haven’t figured out how to set up probe notifications. Any guidance? The app says to do it on the board but there’s nothing there for it. I consider myself technical enough to be dangerous and can’t find the setting.

I do (generally) get the grill temp updates. Thought it was odd I wasn’t getting them Thursday. Never crossed my mind it was a capacity thing. With cloud computing and hybrid environments (no idea why they would need on prem compute for app but covering bases), there is really no excuse for KNOWING you are going to be over capacity and not planning ahead. Absurd

Reactions: MWP
Anyone else having issues with the notifications and temperature history? I’m getting nothing for either. Both were working on Sunday but not today. I assume their servers can’t keep up with the holiday demand? If so, that’s absurd.

View attachment 13605View attachment 13606
Yep, same thing with my 590. Just about every holiday the App notifications stop working. I called Reteq yesterday and they told me the same old thing..... we are working on it and it our top priority. Personally,
by the number of marketing emails I've been receiving the last several months I think RT's top priority is sales! If you are planning on buying a RT and using it on any holidays, and expect it to work as advertised, I hate to say it but would look else where!

Found my probes were reading 25 degrees hotter than instant probe but never had a problem Thursday with notifications or temp history. Ran my bull from 11am to 430ish, smoked a turkey, then upped it for a ham then a couple side dishes. Usually around while cooking so i use the app as a guidance on when to check things out.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back