Not Happy

Hackinator

Grill(s) owned
  1. Bullseye
Grill is running way too hot…..since there isnt a manual with the unit I went to You Tube in regards to the calibration process….my concern is with an obvious QC issue that should have been addressed at the factory before shipping and it seems to be a common issue with the Bullseye…I know wonder what else may have been incorrectly installed or built….Ill calibrate it later today and use a temp probe that I had to buy ……rant over

Grill is running way too hot…..since there isnt a manual with the unit I went to You Tube in regards to the calibration process….my concern is with an obvious QC issue that should have been addressed at the factory before shipping and it seems to be a common issue with the Bullseye…I know wonder what else may have been incorrectly installed or built….Ill calibrate it later today and use a temp probe that I had to buy ……rant over
Nice thing, you can return it.

The Bullseye does run hot, no question about that. Depending on hot hot yours is running, the calibration may not get the grill temp exact as the range of adjustment is +/- 20%. When calibrating, let the grill run for 15-30 minutes to stabilize.

You should have received a probe with the grill, although it needs to not touch the grate if you are monitoring the pit temp. The probe comes in a bag along with the QR code that will take you to the manual online.
784B1281-93FC-4BA3-9490-B5C9391E8BB6.jpeg

The bullseye is a flame thrower for high heat applications. They try to cover the gamut temp wise, which is difficult. Plus add the fact it is not insulated at all. this is not as precise is the other grills in the arsenal. I use it for hot and faster cooks like chicken and burgers where exact temp isn't as important to me. At first I was disappointed with temp control on this grill. Once i used it for faster kettle style cooks I was much happier. it can do low and slow, but not it strong point.

I think I calibrated my offset to be close around 350 which is where I use it most. I used a pit probe from my Inkbird. Meat temp probes react too fast for pit temp calibration but can used if that is all you have. I use the inkbird for monitoring since no WiFi on this unit.

Wouldnt you think that temp plus or minus would be a final quality check before it leaves the plant? I ran factories for more than 30 years….this would have been a requirement for a product that creates heat and needs to measure it for accuracy…

Wouldnt you think that temp plus or minus would be a final quality check before it leaves the plant? I ran factories for more than 30 years….this would have been a requirement for a product that creates heat and needs to measure it for accuracy…
IMHO, I wouldn't expect it on a mass produced $400 grill.

For the amount of issues they arrive with I suspect that doesn't happen with these and they are manufactured in China. But they have a good warranty and usually address issues that may come up although some things may never be absolutely perfect. Call them and see what they can offer in terms of support to make you happy.

As a FYI - This forum is not run by Recteq but you may get better recommendations from the real world but don't expect Recteq to acknowledge issues here.

Hopefully all works out shortly.

I don't think they burn any of the grills and probably don't do an electronic calibration either.

I'm just curious, are you smoking using the grill and not as much grilling? I am fairly certain mine (my bullseye) runs hot. I used it once for smoking and would use again but I do have a Bull which is WAY better. But I am fairly certain my Bullseye runs at least 25 degrees hot but maybe I'm wrong. But since I mostly grill with the grill, I don't really care. But all you have to do is calibrate it. This is a $400 grill, not a $1000 plus one like the nice ones.

It’s not a new issue. The unit has always run hot since the first one rolled off the production line. From my understanding it doesn’t measure temperature. It calculates temperature based on various parameters.

It’s not a new issue. The unit has always run hot since the first one rolled off the production line. From my understanding it doesn’t measure temperature. It calculates temperature based on various parameters.
RT also suggest not messing with factory defaults. It's your grill, enjoy!

It‘s not gas or electric for fuel. it’s wood which has a lot of variable. I have three RT grills, the more you use them the better it controls the temp. Because of the PID technology. one thing pellet grills do not like is the lid open. Start grill, put meat on, cook take meat up turn grill off. On first start it may go to 700 degrees. This is one reason they ask for a one hour burn in for the PID Controller to learn your pellets and grill.

It‘s not gas or electric for fuel. it’s wood which has a lot of variable. I have three RT grills, the more you use them the better it controls the temp. Because of the PID technology. one thing pellet grills do not like is the lid open. Start grill, put meat on, cook take meat up turn grill off. On first start it may go to 700 degrees. This is one reason they ask for a one hour burn in for the PID Controller to learn your pellets and grill.
Should I do a one burn-in each time I change pellets?

Changing pellets and brands you will notice temp swings. the causation is cheaper pellets are manufactured using more filler wood (softwood) the filler wood burns much faster than hard wood. The soft wood is much cheaper and more plentiful in the forest. Find a pellet you like and stay with it.
my advice and $3.00 will get you a cheap cup of coffee nowaday. Good luck!

I have a Bullseye as well. It does run a little hot. I cooked some steaks last night and I noticed it overshot the temp a pretty good bit. It could have been due to the cold temps and wind.
That being said I only cook hot and fast on it so it has not been a problem. I tend to open and close more due to the shorter cooks.

My 590 on the other hand is the most stable grill I have ever owned. It is insanely stable.

I would call RT and see if they can help.

I've used my bullseye three times and am new to recteq. I am getting a 100 plus difference, at the 225 setting, even more at higher settings in 30 degree weather. I found at its lowest setting, it would maintain roughly a 225 grate temp on a Thermoworks monitor. At higher settings, it would exceed the limits of the Thermworks monitor (572 degrees), so it does indeed get hot.

I contacted reqtec re teh discrepancy, and I was a bit disappointed in the answer that the grill was measuring air temp and not grate / grill temp, but I didn't press the issue, as I saw I was getting no where. I figure it would be trial and error to figure out how the the Bullseye cooks.

I'd recommend getting a pit monitor and probes to figure things out. I successfully used the low setting for reverse searing some thick ribeyes and then finished them inside on a hot cast iron skillet for the sear. The monitor keeps you informed and lets you know when to pull the food. I've done burgers successfully as well, but its a learning process.

I'd recommend getting a pit monitor and probes to figure things out. I successfully used the low setting for reverse searing some thick ribeyes and then finished them inside on a hot cast iron skillet for the sear. The monitor keeps you informed and lets you know when to pull the food. I've done burgers successfully as well, but its a learning process.
One of the best things you can do to improve your experience with a Bullseye unless you're only using it for hot & fast grilling. I've observed mine as much as 350+ off the set point multiple times. If you want precision pick up an immersion circulator, if you want consistent low-moderately high temps get any other RT cooker, if you want an adventure every cook stick with the Bullseye.

Interesting noting different experiences. I feel like my 380 is very stable esp at the lowest temps. I tend to mainly do a LO start on ribs, chicken, chops, salmon, for about 40 minus, then finish them off at 275-300. (ribs will do for 3 hrs) so it sounds like maybe I am in the monority. When I have used the LO setting, I set the temp display to monitor inside the kettle for a while, and have always found that it stays a very consistent 180-185. To finish I will use the meat prode. Lastly, I am not sure but it seems like the machine does have some learning to it, seems like esp with a new one it becomes more stable after a few uses.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Back