Bullseye Not Happy

From what I've read, a PID controller doesn't necessarily have a memory (like memory foam;)) that it learns from. I doubt our simple PIDs have any "learning" going on. More likely they are true Proportional, Integral, Derivative and just look at a set point and the deviation and apply a PID calculated correction on the fly. But, I could be wrong.

From what I've read, a PID controller doesn't necessarily have a memory (like memory foam;)) that it learns from. I doubt our simple PIDs have any "learning" going on. More likely they are true Proportional, Integral, Derivative and just look at a set point and the deviation and apply a PID calculated correction on the fly. But, I could be wrong.
You got it (y)

I know next to nothing about controllers but I have heard of “self tuning” and “auto tuning” PID controllers. Do they not provide the ability to self dial in better performance? I know this was discussed before and I just went away because I have no real experience with controllers but I have read a little about them. Can one of you guys with controller experience share a little about what self tuning PID controllers do?

I know next to nothing about controllers but I have heard of “self tuning” and “auto tuning” PID controllers. Do they not provide the ability to self dial in better performance? I know this was discussed before and I just went away because I have no real experience with controllers but I have read a little about them. Can one of you guys with controller experience share a little about what self tuning PID controllers do?
The PID (loop) is tweaked based on another program monitoring the response time. It's great in theory, my experience is it doesn't work and usually abandoned. Cost obviously plays a role as well. This means ambient temp and cover position isn't monitored at consumer level.

The math and programming involved is another world that I'm not familiar with.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WKMCD
Back