Bull Not enough smoke

Attachments

• 20211003_004406.jpg
    20211003_004406.jpg
    701.2 KB · Views: 122
I add a smoke tube for cooking temps starting around 225F and up. I did some ribs a few days ago at 275F and a smoke tube full of LJ cherry pellets. They had a nice smoke flavor without being overpowering.

With my 700 I never get sooty bitter smoke flavor. I've changed my opinion of the level of smoke flavor I like in my bbq.

Just go to smokedaddy.com and get a big kahuna. You will have all the smoke you ever wanted and you can use different types of wood mid cook. I normally start the first two hours with hickory and then switch to apple for two hours then I just use the pellet smoke for the rest of the cook. I’ve always needed more smoke then a pellet smoker can provide and this was my saving grace. You can’t beat the convience of a pellet smoker on a long cook and with the smoke daddy you turn your pellet smoker into a smoke filled cooking machine.

I have the same issue, definitely compared to my barrel smoker with wood chunks. It's not the same and I miss that true BBQ pit smoke flavor like at the restrauant. I just resort to my barrel smoker, it's a bit more maintenance checking every 15-20 minutes vs set it & forget it but a least I get that smoke flavor I want.

Just go to smokedaddy.com and get a big kahuna. You will have all the smoke you ever wanted and you can use different types of wood mid cook. I normally start the first two hours with hickory and then switch to apple for two hours then I just use the pellet smoke for the rest of the cook. I’ve always needed more smoke then a pellet smoker can provide and this was my saving grace. You can’t beat the convience of a pellet smoker on a long cook and with the smoke daddy you turn your pellet smoker into a smoke filled cooking machine.
Not to hijack this thread, but is the Big Kahuna easy to mount on your RT? I have the RT 590 and considering this. I have a Lang stick burner which to me is the benchmark but already spoiled with setting the temp on the 590 and walking away. The Big Kahuna might even the playing field.

I had the big kahuna on my gmg. Didn’t like the smoke it produced. Prop user error. A smoke tube with a actual mini split surrounded by pellets however does the trick for me. Pellet smokers do not produce the same type of smoke or smell as real wood imho. Neither do big box store chips or chunks.

It‘s very easy to install. Drill a hole and put it on. That’s about it. I never had any luck with smoke tubs. They just don’t produce enough smoke and don’t fill the entire chamber with smoke. I like smoke. The big kahuna is the closest you can get to a stick burner in my opinion. I’ve tried them all and this was the best at emulating a stick burner. I’m not all that scientific where I think a clear blue smoke is the best. I just want to see smoke coming out the stack and from around my door so I know the chamber is filled with smoke. I always had the opinion, it’s not rocket science. Produce smoke at 225 to 250 in the morning and eat like a king in the evening. That’s about it. 😎

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back