Stampede No notifications from RT-590

Join the club friend. If you search this and other forums you'll find lots of unhappy customers, myself included.

This has been ongoing for many months now and I was told during Super Bowl weekend that they were aware of the issue and were incredibly sorry and it would be addressed. I ruined lots of $$ worth of dry-aged steaks that weekend. I don't know why I believed them though because it happened again on Easter Sunday where me and all of my guests ended up eating dry, leathery and flavorless ham that had gone WELL past the desired temp by the time I decided to check in on my cook. I guess I put too much faith in their sincerity that it was an isolated incident and promise to correct it right away. That second one is on me but there won't be a third.

It's a shame because this was my favorite smoker of all that I had ever used to this point. It doesn't seem as though it's a priority though as evidenced by what they say when you call. Responses like "Well, it's not like it doesn't work anymore or presents a danger if the notifications don't work" when I call with a legitimate problem don't make me feel very warm as someone who just spent a thousand dollars on a pellet smoker. If I wanted to baby sit my cook I can do it with a $500 smoker that makes just as good of food in the end.

This affects all of their smokers that are WiFi enabled. If you talk to them the general thought is that this whole WiFi thing is just a fad and they don't seem to assign much urgency in keeping the function supported. For many people like me, however, this is THE function that brought me to their doorstep. This refusal to support their paying customers fully will be the downfall of Recteq.

I would still contact them. Maybe if more people contact them they'd realize a larger portion of their base is unhappy and would assign more urgency to this issue. My guess is that a lot of people are just leaning on social platforms to find out what the problem is and not reaching out to RecTeq directly. This lack of squeak doesn't appear to be motivating them to apply grease to the wheels.

one of the reasons I purchased the RecTec WAS for the WiFi ability to monitor the grill AND food temp.
Without that feature usefulness is GREATLY diminished and makes it much harder for me to recommend to friends and family

one of the reasons I purchased the RecTec WAS for the WiFi ability to monitor the grill AND food temp.
Without that feature usefulness is GREATLY diminished and makes it much harder for me to recommend to friends and family
You can still monitor the grill and food temp as well as adjust the temperature of the grill. What is hit and miss and therefore you can’t rely on is getting notified if your grill gets too hot or cold, or when the set temp is reached on the food. If you are OK keeping an eye on it it is still useful.

Before anyone lights me up over that comment I realize you should be able to count on notificactions. That is fairly basic functionality for most WiFi capable grills and should work on these grills. That doesn’t change the information included above.

The app should have been written with a standalone mode, meaning if you're home on you're local wifi, the phone communicates directly to the grill, without the need to connect through the reqtec servers. Many devices work that way. That would eliminate many of the issues, where on busy days, when I assume the reqtec servers can't keep up with the number of users on at the same time. Of course if the reqtec servers were scaled to handle it, there wouldn't be dropouts during high user access days :unsure:

I agree, wifi monitoring is a big selling feature and without it, you're not getting what you paid for :mad:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back